Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patp

Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Love my iPad but am thinking that not being able to attach a file when you're composing a message is kind of silly?

possible it could be something that OS4 takes care of?

I understand I can attach a file when I'm in a app like photos etc. But sometimes your replying to or composing a message and need to attach a saved document or picture.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
Love my iPad but am thinking that not being able to attach a file when you're composing a message is kind of silly?

I understand I can attach a file when I'm in a app like photos etc. But sometimes your replying to or composing a message and need to attach a saved document or picture.

If it's an image, just copy/paste. You're replying, then realise you need to add a pic. Exit, copy the pic, go back to the email and paste it in. Plus, attaching via the Photos app actually makes the image smaller. Copy/paste uses the full resolution.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I think that Apple will have to give us the ability to store and file documents on the iPad first!

I want to be able to carry my bids with me on the iPad. This is my only complaint and would make my iPad useful in the filed.

We need the ability to have folders to store these files. Oh, and I guess while I am dreaming, I want a MS Office App;)

wgary

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
I think that Apple will have to give us the ability to store and file documents on the iPad first!

I want to be able to carry my bids with me on the iPad. This is my only complaint and would make my iPad useful in the filed.

We need the ability to have folders to store these files. Oh, and I guess while I am dreaming, I want a MS Office App;)

It usually works best to know what you want to attach first and then originate the email from within the source app -- Pages, Keynote, GoodReader, etc. Sometimes you can copy paste/paste, but i have found that tends not to come through as a usable file, like keynote will give you a jpeg of the slide, not a keynote file. Definitely a limitation.

ipadfanatic

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
The most likely reason for this is allowing any type of attachment could open the door for nasty little viruses. Code that would execute just by selecting the file.

medicscott

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2009
san diego

check into the 'dropbox' app

gkhndes

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
Hi,
I bought an iPad and sending e-mails with multiple attachments is very essential for me, but obviously you can't do it on iPad or any iOS device.

Butt!!! I found a solution. For example I have to send my cv and cover letter to many people and firstly I sent the mail with 2 attachments to my mail address from a computer ! Then I opened the mail on iPad. Now I just forward the email to different emails.

Great.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Hi,
I bought an iPad and sending e-mails with multiple attachments is very essential for me, but obviously you can't do it on iPad or any iOS device.
This is incorrect.

As mentioned above, you can send any attachment via Dropbox to anyone.

Of course if you jailbreak your device, you can add attachments with ease from within the built in mail app. I love having my idevices jailbroken.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Of course if you jailbreak your device, you can add attachments with ease from within the built in mail app. I love having my idevices jailbroken.

Worth noting, of course, that to have an (untethered) jailbroken iPad requires being at least four OS updates behind the current 5.0.1 version. But if you're willing to do that the iPad "just works." Otherwise, not so much.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Worth noting, of course, that to have an (untethered) jailbroken iPad requires being at least four OS updates behind the current 5.0.1 version. But if you're willing to do that the iPad "just works." Otherwise, not so much.
I agree that not being able to add attachments via the built in email app is a serious omission by Apple!

But, as I said, you can email any attachment you like via Dropbox and that does not require a jailbreak.

Of note, the Chronic dev team posted last night about an iOS 5 untethered jailbreak.

Mdifilm

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
Cleveland

The way I would do it is copy the email address of the person I need to email a doc to and then go to the document to go or good reader app and email the doc to the person... The only thing that you wouldn't have is the replies to be attached...

Here is a how to with good reader. http://www.itjungles.com/ipad-tips/ipad-2-how-to-easily-send-email-attachment-on-ipad

Last edited:

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
I agree that not being able to add attachments via the built in email app is a serious omission by Apple!

But, as I said, you can email any attachment you like via Dropbox and that does not require a jailbreak.

Of note, the Chronic dev team posted last night about an iOS 5 untethered jailbreak.

It's not an "omission." It's an inherent characteristic of the closed app architecture Apple uses. Third party apps such as Dropbox may pass data to the Apple email app but the email app cannot access attachments stored with other apps. There are justifications for Apple's approach, primarily in terms of reducing the likelihood that viruses and malware can infect the operating system. But the architecture itself imposes a number of inconvenient workarounds such as this.

As for an untethered jailbreak. Well, let's just say the news is something less than earth shaking.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/11/...s-untethered-ios-5-jailbreak-iphone-4s-unlock

marcohdzm

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2012
it's not like this

This is incorrect.

As mentioned above, you can send any attachment via Dropbox to anyone.

With Dropbox you don't really send anything, That's not how Dropbox works. You just share it.

labeed

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
open in a broswer

True .. it is silly to not have the "attach" button while you compose emails. Being a Graphic Designer I deal with attachments in almost all my emails.

The answer to this is to open your email from a browser. You will have all your buttons and features that you re used to! :D

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
True .. it is silly to not have the "attach" button while you compose emails. Being a Graphic Designer I deal with attachments in almost all my emails.

The answer to this is to open your email from a browser. You will have all your buttons and features that you re used to! :D

...and then, where are you going to attach the files from?

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
You can insert a picture or video just by tapping on the email body. Is included in ios6.
scaled.php

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.