Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masscub

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
I'm looking for a good macbook cooling fan that will last. I've been through two already this year and the cooling fans crapped out. Most recently used the Targus Chill Mat and now the fans don't seem to be working. Any suggestions?

masscub

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Are you looking for replacement fans for the logic board, or a cooling pad? Cooling pads are wastes of money. Replacement fans can probably be found on iFixit.

Would you recommend a replacement fan for the logic board? I'm just concerned about the fan because sometimes the fan gets loud and goes on high.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm looking for a good macbook cooling fan that will last. I've been through two already this year and the cooling fans crapped out. Most recently used the Targus Chill Mat and now the fans don't seem to be working. Any suggestions?
How do you know your fans aren't working? iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
Apple Portables: Operating temperature

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.