Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdastas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
randomly today, Siri has started to tell me she "Can't help me right now, please try again later..."

Anyone else having this issue? Siri has worked fine for me before with only minor issues due to my light accent.

Now as soon as I hold down the button I get that notice from siri... Any thoughts?

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Yup same here, sms dictation just sits there with the 3 purple dots then goes away.

It happens, they'll have her back up soon enough. Not the end of the world.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Siri doesn't understand me almost 90% of the time (I have spent time patiently training it by adding phonetic pronunciations to hard-to-understand names in my contacts, to no avail) and half the rest of the time the servers are down. (I was born and raised in the midwest and have no accent either, FWIW.)

Hell, the two year old Google voice search on my OG Motorola Droid works better than Siri does.

Siri is one of the biggest failures in the history of Apple.

Hamiltonian

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
I'm guessing Apple sold a few million more iPhone 4s in the last few days, and that's increasing the server load. Hopefully Apple will increase their capacity shortly.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Was random.

My 5 year old daughter asked my phone how many days it was till christmas last night. She got same message.

For the amount of times I use Siri though, it's had network issues not even 1% of the time.

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY
Same here. I had the random outage starting from last night. Pretty much all throughout today, I experienced spotty delays. Coming to think of it, I think Siri ran into more delays and lags this past weekend than ever before. I wonder if people were demonstrating Siri to the family over their holiday dinner :)

aznjonny

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011
California
I just got my iPhone 4S today and Siri was working fine about 4 hours ago. Now I just keep getting technical difficulties :/ How am i gonna show off my new iPhone tomorrow?! haha

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I got my iPhone 4S on Saturday, came to my mom's Sunday night to show it off to her, my brother, and his girlfriend (who are all up for upgrades) and Siri would not work at all.

I think they decided to stick with Android.

15danielp

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
Tucson, Arizona
Hasn't work for me for the last four hours. Could've been longer since I haven't tried to use it before four hours ago.

It's a bit annoying that dictation doesn't work without connecting to the servers.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Yeah, even though she is apologetic, I'm not exactly happy. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon enough.

jdastas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2008
now it just doesn't work... Period

:confused:

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    116.2 KB · Views: 3,567

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011

Wow, that is quite bad.

It has a hard time understanding Calendar input, too. For example: "Set the alert time for 30 minutes before for my 4PM appointment" results in the appointment being 30 minutes long, instead of the alert time.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Still not working here. I'm getting pissed!

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Siri doesn't understand me almost 90% of the time (I have spent time patiently training it by adding phonetic pronunciations to hard-to-understand names in my contacts, to no avail) and half the rest of the time the servers are down. (I was born and raised in the midwest and have no accent either, FWIW.)

Hell, the two year old Google voice search on my OG Motorola Droid works better than Siri does.

Siri is one of the biggest failures in the history of Apple.

Respectfully I disagree. Siri was rushed to market by Apple so they had something to brag about, in lieu of having the iPhone 5 ready.

Therefore it's going to take Apple a year or so to get Siri operating properly. In the mean time it served it's purpose as a distraction while Apple feverishly works to catch up in the smartphone space.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Respectfully I disagree. Siri was rushed to market by Apple so they had something to brag about, in lieu of having the iPhone 5 ready.

Therefore it's going to take Apple a year or so to get Siri operating properly. In the mean time it served it's purpose as a distraction while Apple feverishly works to catch up in the smartphone space.

X 2. There really wasn't much to differentiate the Iphone 4 from the iPhone 4S. Siri was a great marketing ploy (and a "good" beta for voice controls).

Google had one on my android phones for over a year, but it never really worked the way Siri is. I could dictate text messages, and make phone calls.... but it didn't use that wolfram alpha logic to answer any questions.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
It is working great at this time! I said open the pod bay door. siri said im sorry im afraid i cant do that. are you happy now? I said im said open the pod bay door. Siri said oh not again. I repeated open the pod bay door. Siri said that he has to report me to the intelligent agency for harrassment. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.