Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vampireszombies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Texas
SO the iPhone 4S's mute and volume buttons are slightly lower than the iPhone 4s buttons due to the new antenna design.

Have any of you tried your i4 case(s) on your new 4S??

I have a casemate i4 pop case that I really like and I'm hoping it'll fit my future 4S.

(AT&T)

Last edited:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
SO the iPhone 4S's mute and volume buttons are slightly lower than the iPhone 4s buttons due to the new antenna design.

I have a casemate i4 pop case that I really like and I'm hoping it'll fit my future 4S.

If you bought a Verizon one it should fit. I heard he AT&T models after January were of the new body style too. I'm not positive of that though.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
I'm using my iPhone 4 case but I did have to trim the bottom of the mute switch area because it's button was slightly covered but the volume buttons seem to line up with no issues.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.

(AT&T)

The only difference is the mute switch. The volume buttons are exactly the same. Anyone that tells you different doesn't know what they're talking about.

iphone4s16gb

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
this thread is cool , i just order 1 case iphone 4 for my iphone 4s , the guy from ebay say can't used for 4s just because mute switch of iphone 4s is redesign under iphone 4 little bit , item already ship , can't do nothing , no return policy

apple they should announce that iphone 4s different design than iphone 4 even 1 small change still different , so people dont get mistake when purchase a case ,,,

iPhone-4S-Technoodling-1.jpg

iphone 4 top
iphone 4s bottom

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
apple they should announce that iphone 4s different design than iphone 4 even 1 small change still different

You should not assume that an accessory made for an older product will automatically fit a newer one. In fact there are at least 3 changes that might cause cases for an iPhone 4 to be unsuitable for a 4S:

1. Mute switch - same location as CDMA iPhone 4 but moved as compared to GSM iPhone 4. Many case designs were already redone to accommodate this after the CDMA phone was released in February 2011.

2. Camera changes - Differences are subtle, but some cases appear to be moving to larger cutouts due to image washout when flash is used (flash reflecting off the case cutout edges). I'm not finding definitive information on what exactly is different with the 4S that makes this necessary; might just be the more sensitive sensor (as opposed to a brighter flash).

3. Front ambient sensor - If a case is full-coverage (specifically if it covers the area above the touchscreen), then it may not have a properly positioned cutout for the ambient light sensor on the 4S - which was relocated slightly from the 4.

So in a nutshell - if you're looking at a bumper case, if it fits the CDMA iPhone 4 it will fit the 4S. If you're looking at a back/side coverage, some older cases (thicker material) might cause flash washout. For full-coverage, make sure the case is specifically designed or approved for the 4S.

MotleyGrrl

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Chicago, IL
I used an original bumper when I first got my 4s and the mute switch was covered a bit. It didn't really bother me much. I could have cut it a bit, but I ended up with a different bumper because I didn't like the way the black or pink looked with my decalgirl skin :p

IBGPN

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
Hot Springs
You should not assume that an accessory made for an older product will automatically fit a newer one. In fact there are at least 3 changes that might cause cases for an iPhone 4 to be unsuitable for a 4S:

1. Mute switch - same location as CDMA iPhone 4 but moved as compared to GSM iPhone 4. Many case designs were already redone to accommodate this after the CDMA phone was released in February 2011.

2. Camera changes - Differences are subtle, but some cases appear to be moving to larger cutouts due to image washout when flash is used (flash reflecting off the case cutout edges). I'm not finding definitive information on what exactly is different with the 4S that makes this necessary; might just be the more sensitive sensor (as opposed to a brighter flash).

3. Front ambient sensor - If a case is full-coverage (specifically if it covers the area above the touchscreen), then it may not have a properly positioned cutout for the ambient light sensor on the 4S - which was relocated slightly from the 4.

So in a nutshell - if you're looking at a bumper case, if it fits the CDMA iPhone 4 it will fit the 4S. If you're looking at a back/side coverage, some older cases (thicker material) might cause flash washout. For full-coverage, make sure the case is specifically designed or approved for the 4S.
hate to bump an old thread but i just wanted to say that i use the defender "universal" fit one on my verizon 4s and have none of those issues. all the sensors work just like they should and i have no washout on my photo's. i got it because it was only $19.97 on amazon and i tried my pals on my phone first to make sure it would work ok.

here is a couple crummy pics of mine...
003ca.jpg

011ewk.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.