Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Would you make one test for me- this image below, please- save it in camera roll and look if you see flickering when open it (without zoom, just as it is):

https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-15835585-24296/29390947_7087297.jpg

I am asking, because I make a research of which digit numbers have different issues

Yes, i do see flickering, why is this?

I might also add that i have seen flickering in one of the videos i recorded in the bathroom of the wall, not while actually recording but when playing it.

Last edited:

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
All DNQ units have perfectly bluish white screen, but suffer from this flicker issue- not every eyes can notice it during day to day use, but I do. Basically the problem appears in day to day use when moving your eyes fast from one object to another on the screen- the following effect is that you can see some horizontal lines across the screen (interlace scanlines). This image in other hand is just for test purpuses and you cannot see this bad flickering in normal dailly usage, but it indicate that the screen panel has some refresh rates problems. Every DNQ I have seen has it in some degree.
C39 units have it too plus yellow screen and uneven backlight.
DNP units don't have it at all, but sometime white is a bit warmer and you can slightly see the leds on top.
C38 units also don't have flickering problems and have good screens with a bit pinkish hue on white color.
DNT units suffer from bad backlight and very visible leds on top, but good white color balance.

Blakey.

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
All DNQ units have perfectly bluish white screen, but suffer from this flicker issue- not every eyes can notice it during day to day use, but I do. Basically the problem appears in day to day use when moving your eyes fast from one object to another on the screen- the following effect is that you can see some horizontal lines across the screen (interlace scanlines). This image in other hand is just for test purpuses and you cannot see this bad flickering in normal dailly usage, but it indicate that the screen panel has some refresh rates problems. Every DNQ I have seen has it in some degree.
DNP units don't have it at all, but sometime white is a bit warmer and you can slightly see the leds on top.
C38 units also don't have flickering problems and have good screens with a bit pinkish hue on white color.
DNT units suffer from bad backlight and very visible leds on top, but good white color balance.

With my C38, I'd say that's exactly accurate. I like the color of the screen, the battery life is good, no bleeding, and I have no issues as far as I can tell. I thought the vibration was a bit funny, but I guess that's just all iPhone 4Ss because of the new vibrating mechanism. I suppose I got lucky.

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden

That is correct, my phone is otherwise perfect and that is the only flaw i have found on it, i thought it was something with the video recording though, but your picture is proof that the screen is suffering from flickering. Though i haven't noticed it otherwise, which i'm glad. I just hope it doesn't make my eyes tired over the long run, if it does, then i know why!

Good info btw on all the different units!

Btw, when i "unzoom" the picture even though it's fullscreen as when you open it, the flickering is really bad! Though i see why it brings a flickering problem because of all those horizontal lines on screens that aren't perfect!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
just for my record- which three digits your s/n starts with?

dnp also reading from your previous posts here, for the record I'm still on my original iphone 4S. Never had the yellow tint issue. Compared it to my iPhone 4 and clearly my iphone 4 has a warmer yellow tint. Compared with the Apple display iPhone and has the same exact Hue (I love it)

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
dnp also reading from your previous posts here, for the record I'm still on my original iphone 4S. Never had the yellow tint issue. Compared it to my iPhone 4 and clearly my iphone 4 has a warmer yellow tint. Compared with the Apple display iPhone and has the same exact Hue (I love it)

Yeah, mine is also DNP and perfect hue.
Would you tell me if your screen is completely even as a backlighting when you see at pure white wallpaper in Camera Roll?
If you can- make a pic and share it here:)
My first launch day DNP had dimmer top half, my current DNP is OK, but very slighty leds visible on top.

Coley

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2011
CANADA
My white iPhone has the exact same problem as the OPs. Same number of 'spotlights' showing. Only mine isn't extremely noticeable unless I am trying to look at it/doesn't seem as bad or bright as the photo.

It's a 16gb with serial starting with C39. Screen seems neutral to me. So that doesn't really fit with the serial number theories going through this thread, but there's that, if anyone is curious.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010

Very untrue. My first C38 had a extremely yellow brown tinted screen. My new C39 is perfect, no flickering in that picture and a perfect blue tint to the screen exactly as the displays. Looks better than my launch day iPhone 4!

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
That is just my personal observation, based on what my local Apple Store has in stock. How much is your capacity of your 4S and what color? Can you post a pic of your screen?

Sunspark

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2011
People need to stop generalizing about which serial #s have what screen, because it's not true. iPhone screens are made by Samsung, LG and Sharp (not sure about any others).

I bought two C39 32gb units 2 weeks ago. One in white, one in black. Note that _both_ are C39.

The black unit does not have the led spotlights at the top of the screen, it does have a bluish cold tint to it. The white unit most certainly does have the spotlights, and has a "normal" neutral hue. Compared to an ice-cold blue, I suppose one could whine that it has some yellow, but 6000-6500K which is good for video does have some yellow in it and is a desirable trait. The color accuracy is better than the blue screen because colours aren't all blue-pushed.

Do I find the LED spotlights distracting and wish they weren't there? Yes.. it throws me off a bit.. but they aren't noticable on dark backgrounds or the home screen because the top has a shaded bar. It's only noticable on white backgrounds or light grey bars.. then you see the spotlight leakage.

The reason I haven't exchanged it, is because I'm afraid of getting something _worse_. The phone works well, and the screen has very even backlighting, I haven't noticed scan lines, the colour balance is VERY good, and it has better contrast/legibility on small letters than the bluish screen does on the black one.

The only fault of the screen are the LED spotlights, which are the same as the posted photo.

I'm trying really hard to get used to it, because A) it has a 1 year warranty, B) everything ELSE about the screen is AWESOME, and last but not least, C) let's be realistic here guys.. the light has to come from somewhere because this isn't an OLED.. let's look at our previous generation phones (whether iPhone 3 and under or from other manufacturers like BlackBerry, etc.).. ask yourself.. "do I take my old screen, that had no light leakage, but grainy crappy text, low contrast and odd color balance? or do I take a perfect screen but with LED spotlights on 1 side only that is only visible when it's white or light-grey backgrounds?"

My gf said we could swap units if I wanted (she wants my white unit because of the case colour).. I didn't do this because I DON'T want the blue screen where all the colours are blue-pushed.

Same situation with the HP Touchpads that we have.. one screen was made by LG, one screen was made by Samsung. The differences between the two is that 1 panel has uneven backlighting in spots, and the other has some light bleed at the edges in spots.. the other differences is that 1 panel (mine of course) has a more neutral white and more accurately balanced colour.. the cost is slightly less contrast.. the other screen has slightly more contrast and slightly more colour saturation.. BUT it's got a green-blue push.. I can't stand it.

Pick your poison. For me, what's most important is colour balance first.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
My C39 unit has the spotlights at the top of the screen, not sure if it's worth it to exchange... anybody exchange and get a better unit?

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I can just barely see those under the right conditions looking at the top of the screen from a very low angle...

But it doesn't affect anything in real world use for me ... not even close.

Ditto. It's detectable if you look for it at low angles but only at low angles and not so much that it is obtrusive to me.

EDIT: FWIW the flickering in the striped pattern posted above could very well be a visual illusion, and might be dependent on how bright your screen is.

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
No, the flickering on the given image above is because of wrong screen's refresh rate. I have passed trough so many devices and some of them had veru frustrating refresh rate. My current device is out of this problem even on highest brightness level.

freemini

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
Norway
I got a brand new white 4S(DNR serial no.), it has those things at the top. I noticed my dad's 4 does but a little smaller. His does have a noticeable yellow tint that really annoys me as my old 4 didn't have any problems at all. My spotlight issue isn't that big, it is a little noticeable when the white status bar is visible but other than that it's pretty much impossible to notice. My iPad 1 developed a pretty serious backlight bleeding problem that was impossible to ignore(it was HUGE) but this is minor. I may replace later but I probably won't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.