Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Hi,

does anyone know how to setup hotmail account on iPhone 4 so I can have mail in the mail app?
Also, when I get mail on the iPhone will it stay on the hotmail server ie. if I lose my iPhone will I have everything on the web hotmail?

Thanks

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
If you tap on add account and pit in your email addy and password it'll auto configure the pop settings. If you want to do it manually the correct settings are below.

POP server: pop3.live.com (Port 995)
POP SSL required? Yes
User name: Your Windows Live ID, for example yourname@hotmail.com
Password: The password you usually use to sign in to Hotmail or Windows Live
SMTP server: smtp.live.com (Port 25) {Note: If port 25 has been blocked in your network or by your ISP, you can set SMTP port to 587 with TLS or SSL Encryption depending on the client in use}
Authentication required? Yes (this matches your POP username and password)
TLS/SSL required? Yes

And yes the messages stay on the server

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2007
Ok, I've found the solution. I was trying microsoft exchange which clearly didn't work so when I tried "other" it then worked fine.

Ok, thank you. I don't want to lose the server version as its way more convenient and accessible from anywhere :)

There is no time limit on the server version if I get the messages to iPhone, is there? Everything stays the same as before for the web server version, right?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Does anyone know how to set up a hotmail account where it will completely mirror the regular web-based hotmail. You know, if I check a message on my laptop, it will show up as already read on my iPhone account.

interceptor47

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2009
Here is how I have mine set up.
Toggle off "ask before deleting"
Also,
Settings-Mail-Account-Advanced-Delete from Server is set to "when removed from inbox"

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Like the post above, you should set it up with ActiveSync instead.

jallenclark

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
I had mine setup with POP before and it didn't mirror the server.

The new EAS protocol that MS finally enabled for hotmail is amazing, plus you can sync your contacts and calendar from hotmail over the air too.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010

Thanks, I followed that guide and now my email is pushed to my phone. However it just makes a noise isn't it supposed to light up the screen and display a message like text messages do?

In settings > mail > fetch data. I've set it to push and for fetch I set it to manually. So should this alert me everytime I get an email asap?

Also will the above^ effect the battury life much?

hisham89

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
here is the full solution for your hotmail account on your iphone

Hi,

does anyone know how to setup hotmail account on iPhone 4 so I can have mail in the mail app?
Also, when I get mail on the iPhone will it stay on the hotmail server ie. if I lose my iPhone will I have everything on the web hotmail?

Thanks

From self-experiment on my :apple:iphone 4 'firmware 4.3' ((not jailbreaked)) :-

1- Go to "settings"
2- Choose "mail,contacts,calenders" from the menu
3- Choose "Add account..."
3- Then choose "other"
4- Choose "add mail account"
5- write ur name, email,password and hit next button(be sure to be correct password otherwise the popup messege will come out and tell you "cannot get mail for pop3.live.com")
6-just wait for verifying you will see (incoming Mail server & outgoing mail server) is already filled and then click done.

if not, read step 7

7- For incoming Mail server :-
host name: pop3.live.com
username: "your email"
password: "your password"

-For outgoing mail server:-
hit (smtp: smtp.live.com)

primary server:
hit (smtp.live.com)

server : turn it on
username: "your email"
password: "your password"
use SSL :------------------------->on
Authentication: Choose password
server port: 587

hit Done button

other smtp servers---------------->off

and then go back

For outgoing mail server:-

choose advanced

Delete Messeges (an option)
mean delete your old emails from your iphone only,choose what you want.

In incoming settings:-
Use SSL: turn it on.
Authentication: Choose password.
Delete from server: mean to delete your old emails from hotmail it self, choose what you want.
server port : 995

then go back

And finally hit Done button

congratulations you have done

please comment........................

grateful

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
success!

Thank you (hisham89) for the perfect solution at the end of this thread. Step by step easy, perfection.:)

Susurs

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Sorry for strange question but is Hotmail outgoing server free for use? I remember that I couldn't send e-mails from Hotmail on iPhone some years ago and I red that I need paid service or something (Live Hotmail Plus ?)...maybe I'm wrong

Last edited:

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Gmail only fetches from POP accounts once every 30-60 minutes.

If you need the Exchange capability for instant push notifications, definitely don't listen to falconeight.

Wrong. Gmail has the ability to work like Exchange and get instant push notifications. It's the way you set it up.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Wrong. Gmail has the ability to work like Exchange and get instant push notifications. It's the way you set it up.
Read my post again, carefully. I was referring to Gmail fetching from POP accounts, not devices fetching/pushing from Gmail.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
That's completely irrelevant to the gmail mail fetcher which is what you're using if you have gmail check Hotmail via POP. You can set up gmail as push but the link between Hotmail and gmail is still pull and you have no control over the mail fetcher's intervals. A client (gmail's mail fetcher in this case) cannot turn a non-push email account into push.

If the OP wants Hotmail to be push (and synced) then it should be set up via ActiveSync. I don't see them posted in this thread (could be the link in post 7 but it's blocked from here at work) but you can easily Google the settings.

Does anyone know how to set up a hotmail account where it will completely mirror the regular web-based hotmail. You know, if I check a message on my laptop, it will show up as already read on my iPhone account.
Set it up via ActiveSync.

I would route my hotmail thru a gmail account.
You might want to elaborate on the pros and cons of doing so before just blindly making such a recommendation.

That's an iOS 4 solution, the other poster above me has the iOS 5 solution.
It's a matter of POP versus ActiveSync. Not iOS 4 versus 5. You can use POP and ActiveSync settings for any clients that support them, not just iOS.

Last edited:

Boen

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2009
I have my hotmail set up to forward all mail to my gmail account, then that's set up through exchange server.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
I have my hotmail set up to forward all mail to my gmail account, then that's set up through exchange server.
The only thing to be aware of with this method is that you lose the Exchange capability of Hotmail this way. Gmail pulls in POP accounts every 30-60 minutes; you have no control over this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.