Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_sprint.jpg

iOS 5.1 Beta SDK reveals a never seen before iPad product id, according to 9to5Mac. The new product id is "iPad2,4", suggesting a minor variant of the current iPad 2 line.

The current iPad carries the following number designations, which show differences based on the type of cellular antenna, if any:

iPad2,1 - Wi-Fi iPad
iPad2,2 - AT&T iPad 2
iPad2,3 - Verizon iPad 2

Naturally, "iPad2,4" could represent a Sprint supporting variant of the iPad 2 that has been previously rumored. Apple was reportedly considering a Sprint iPad launch before the holidays, though it seems less likely at this late date.

At this stage, it's not clear if and when Apple might introduce such a model or wait until the iPad 3 launches to introduce Sprint compatibility.

Article Link: iOS 5.1 Beta References Unreleased iPad 2 Variant (iPad2,4)

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Couldn't a Sprint version use the same identifier as the Verizon one since they are both CDMA? Are there separate ones for Sprint and Verizon iPhone 4S's?

BraveArts

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Madrid, Spain
That's interesting. What are the product codes for iPads outside the US then?
If each carrier has a distinctive code I'm intrigued now how the iOS differentiates the iPads elsewhere. Riddle me this, Batman!

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I only want to know if there are any new features besides bug fixes, hey, this is a x.1 version. iOS 4.1 brought to use the Game Center, and Airplay for 4.2.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

BruiserB said:
Couldn't a Sprint version use the same identifier as the Verizon one since they are both CDMA? Are there separate ones for Sprint and Verizon iPhone 4S's?

The iPhone 4s seems to be same model for sprint and verizon though the previous rumor suggested that sprint ipad model could be different.

I guess it could also represent another strange carrier variant - like china.

arn

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If each carrier has a distinctive code I'm intrigued now how the iOS differentiates the iPads elsewhere. Riddle me this, Batman!

AT&T = GSM
Verizon = Sprint = CDMA

Will0827

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2008
Does anyone even buy Sprint's iPhone?
Proud owner of a sprint 4s. About the sprints ipad hopefully they release one with wimax unless sprint makes their version LTE capable, but it may get stuck with 3G since they plan to begin the LTE shift mid summer.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I can only imagine how slow an iPad will be on Sprints network. They aren't too fast on Verizon and At&T. A 4G iPad will be nice.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009

I'm pretty sure that all international 3G iPads sold now are GSM and are the same model number as the AT&T iPad in the US.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Proud owner of a sprint 4s. About the sprints ipad hopefully they release one with wimax unless sprint makes their version LTE capable, but it may get stuck with 3G since they plan to begin the LTE shift mid summer.
Hate to be a dream-crusher here, but it won't support WiMax, especially since, as you pointed out, they'll be making the transition to LTE, which you can for sure expect in the iPad 4, if not the 3.

tylerk36

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
A sprint iPad. What a waste of time. I honestly think that Sprint will screw up the data plan in some way to cause a stir among customers. :eek::mad::eek:

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
If this happens, it's a sure sign Apple indends to continue selling the ipad 2 after the ipad 3's debut. Just like the verizon iphone 4.

Alexs5

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2011
Erm i think in order to give it a different number, there is bound to have a change in hardware, and since sprint can already work trough cdma; i think this is a hint for either the ipad 2s or an LTE version

wickoo

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
More likely a CDMA&GSM version, like the 4S. A separate version for sprint just doesn't make much sense.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
Wait... is the Sprint iPhone 4 a different model number than the Verizon one? And the 4S?

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Hope they aren't just planning to release this and delay the next gen iPad (kind of what they did with the iPod Touch).

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
I don't think it is a real product.

My guess is that it is an iPad 2 with retina display. That's it for now. It is significant enough that there is likely going to be API tweaks for it, but it won't be released into a new product until the iPad3, and that they are going to keep more of the iPad 3 secret, and yet test the existing stuff with the retina display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.