Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pingp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Greetings

On Mac OS X 10.7.2

I'm currently using HB 'Version 0.9.5 x86_64 (2011010300)' and VLC 'Version 1.1.12 The Luggage (Intel 64bit)'.

HandBrake works great for 99% of my video encoding needs. I'm using HB to convert 720 and 1080 .mkv video files that I have pulled off the net into iTunes format. Usually it works as intended.

Maybe 1/20 movies it brings up a an error "No Valid Source Found". At first I thought maybe it was a bad rip/dl or what ever. But it had happened a few times now. With the same video playing fine in VLC.

There are a few threads around about this same problem. But they are all for people who get this error 100% of the time. And it's usually a 'install vlc' or 'make sure they are both 32 or 64 bit versions'. or something silly.

The difference is this is intermittent.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
I get the same error from time to time also. I too would like to know what causes it. In my case I just delete the file and re download another file of the movie or TV show.

stiwi

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2010
Dubai
It just happened to me too (Lion 10.7.3). It seems to be Mac related issue. Since MKV is container, it might contain some codecs not supported by OSX.

When I open such file in Windows, there are no issues at all.

stiwi

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2010
Dubai
@pingp, I think I have just found a solution to this problem. In my case it was due to file permissions. I had to click "get info" and add myself under "sharing & permissions". Then Handbrake had no more issues in reading the source.

@moderators, please move the post to appropriate section.

Stuckster

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
Hmm. For me this issue wasn't file permissions.

I was trying to convert MOV files to mp4 files coming from Final Cut Pro exported using Apple Prores 422 format.

HB would throw the same error on the Prores files but it was ok with .mov files encoded in the HDV format which is a MPEG-2 derivative.

:confused:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I found a fix if you are using HandBrake & VLC 2.0. You have to close the VLC and HandBrake programs and open your bowser to ths HandBrake Forum fix.

The one extra step i had to figure out is after installing the libdvddcss is to reboot then go you your folder /YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ and throw the files org.m0k.handbrake.plist & fr.handbrake.HandBrake.plist .

Finally launch HandBrake and smile.

Last edited:

nomojo

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
I updated my HandBrake and it sent me to a website to download ilbdvdcss.pkg. After installing this and updating my HandBrake I was able to backup my Thor DVD.

patekswiss

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
Another possible explanation for Macs

I had the error on Handbrake ("no valid source found" -- Handbrake would scan the DVD's titles, then come up with this message). I already had libdvdcss in the right place and had the latest version of Handbrake.

Well, here's what the problem was: my Mac Pro had gone up in smoke a while back, Apple was unable to fix it and they replaced it with a new Mac Pro. Although both I and the Apple "genius" who did this work and live in the U.S.A., apparently the replacement Mac was intended for the Chinese market and the DVD drive was set to region 6. I started up the Mac DVD player, got the region dialog and changed it to region 1. (Since the number of region changes is limited to a very small number, I am somewhat pissed off at Apple that I needed to burn one unnecessarily).

Problem solved. The moral of the story if you have a Mac: CHECK YOUR DVD REGION SETTING!

GanjaManja

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2007
Indeed, deleting the preferences file (only fr.handbrake.HandBrake.plist in the YourHomeFolder/Library folder) did the trick. Oldest trick in the book, can't believe I didn't even think of it.

-- Demis

I found a fix if you are using HandBrake & VLC 2.0. You have to close the VLC and HandBrake programs and open your bowser to ths HandBrake Forum fix.

The one extra step i had to figure out is after installing the libdvddcss is to reboot then go you your folder /YourHardDrive/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/ and throw the files org.m0k.handbrake.plist & fr.handbrake.HandBrake.plist .

Finally launch HandBrake and smile.

crmpicco

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Mauchline, UK
Sorry to revive an old thread here but I have had a bunch of my VHS converted to DVD and the first two DVDs I have managed to successfully rip to MP4 with Handbrake.

The third one and arguably one of the more important ones is showing “No a valid source found” when generating the preview at the start of the process.

I have a tried a few suggestions such as deleting the preference file, but to no avail. I am using the latest version of Handbrake and macOS High Sierra.

Does anyone have any suggestions what could be wrong and what to try? Any help is greatly appreciated as the contents of this DVD has great sentimental value.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Sorry to revive an old thread here but I have had a bunch of my VHS converted to DVD and the first two DVDs I have managed to successfully rip to MP4 with Handbrake.

The third one and arguably one of the more important ones is showing “No a valid source found” when generating the preview at the start of the process.

I have a tried a few suggestions such as deleting the preference file, but to no avail. I am using the latest version of Handbrake and macOS High Sierra.

Does anyone have any suggestions what could be wrong and what to try? Any help is greatly appreciated as the contents of this DVD has great sentimental value.
Is the 3rd disc a purchased DVD (encrypted) or an "home movie" one (unencrypted)?

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
I know this is an old thread but I've just come across the same problem while converting mkv to mp4. Five out of eight files convert perfectly while the other three say No Valid Source. I'm running High Sierra, Handbrake 0.9.9 and VLC 2.1.5, I tried following instructions in post 9 but didn't get libdvdcss to install as a message popped up saying it was incompatible with my system and could damage it. Can anyone confirm whether this message is true, or should I just ignore it and install anyway?

TIA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.