Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Ok so i just got an apple tv and i was wondering what the best settings are to convert blu rays. i get a lot of movies online and there usually in avi or mkv files so i would like to convert the musing hand break for my apple tv. now what settings do e everyone think is the best for this? i know there is a setting for the ATV built in but idk how good it is. Thanks

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I quite like the ATV2 preset with the CRF at 17, but then again I don't mind larger files.

It's handbrake, by the way ;)

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
I quite like the ATV2 preset with the CRF at 17, but then again I don't mind larger files.

It's handbrake, by the way ;)

lol, ok for the last couple movies i just did a straight conversion with the rf at 22 and there were mostly 720p and they cam out pretty good. I'm assuming the ATV preset would be better I've done a decent amount of search ing and 19-22 is the typical rf. so ill try the preset on an rf of 17 and see how it works out thanks.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
A good place to start is an RF of 19-20 for SD and 22-23 for HD. If you find noticeable artifacts, you can drop the value lower, but it should only be an problem for certain difficult original material or individuals with very good eyesight and very large TVs.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
A good place to start is an RF of 19-20 for SD and 22-23 for HD. If you find noticeable artifacts, you can drop the value lower, but it should only be an problem for certain difficult original material or individuals with very good eyesight and very large TVs.

I usually go for the blu ray hd stuff (i want the best picture possible) i have done straight conversion at 22 and I'm downloading so other movies and will try the suggestion from the previous poster. I have always assumed the lower the rf the higher the quality?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.