Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
Our IT department told "that all your dictation and instructions to Siri are recorded and stored by Apple." Can this possible be true? I suppose they are recorded for a moment for processing, but is there really a record?

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I am coping this response (this is not my own)

Siri makes use of NLP(Natural Language Processing) - NLP computing takes significant resources and while the iPhone may be powerful enough to process them, it's likely to drain the battery.

For this reason, Siri application records your commands on your phone & sends it off the servers for processing. The results are returned back to the phone & does the commands.

So to answer, yes, it's part-phone, part-Internet service & it does send data to Apple's servers.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/26749/how-does-siri-translate-all-that-on-my-phone

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
I am coping this response (this is not my own)

Siri makes use of NLP(Natural Language Processing) - NLP computing takes significant resources and while the iPhone may be powerful enough to process them, it's likely to drain the battery.

For this reason, Siri application records your commands on your phone & sends it off the servers for processing. The results are returned back to the phone & does the commands.

So to answer, yes, it's part-phone, part-Internet service & it does send data to Apple's servers.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/26749/how-does-siri-translate-all-that-on-my-phone

Thanks for the tip. I'd be interested if the requests/dictation are recorded by apple and retained in any meaningful way. (e.g., could Apple look at the history of your queries or dictation). If so, there maybe some privacy issues at play.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It's been repeatedly said that Apple will continue to improv Siri's performance as more people use it.

If that's true I don't see how they could accomplish that WITHOUT saving some percentage of recordings in order to learn where Siri is doing poorly and where it needs improvement.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Our IT department told "that all your dictation and instructions to Siri are recorded and stored by Apple." Can this possible be true? I suppose they are recorded for a moment for processing, but is there really a record?

Storing what we say is something that Siri and Apple would not ever admit to doing. Could it be done, with out a doubt. I would not say anything that would incriminate yourself.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Apple is recording everything. If you are harassing Siri in any way Apple has the evidence and it could be used against you! They could easily play back all of your private conversations with your new friend. Be very careful of what you tell Siri......

Let's hope not. ;)

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if APPLE is storing your voice commands for some period of time if not indefinitely.

Unless they officially state their policy I will assume they do keep it and maybe even tie it to your UUID that can identify who you are.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

don't know, don't care.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Storing what we say is something that Siri and Apple would not ever admit to doing. Could it be done, with out a doubt. I would not say anything that would incriminate yourself.

They wouldn't admit to it? I thought it was clearly stated in the privacy terms you have to agree to before enabling Siri.

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Try turning siri off and you'll see exactly what you're iPhone tells you what will happen, read the text that shows up and you'll understand that it records everything on their server just to make it more customized for your private use. If they use it for something else, i wouldn't know, but i don't think so, judging by what the text tells you, it seems simple enough to erase the siri history simply by turning it off and then back on again.

For those who are lazy and don't wanna see the message themselves, here is what it will tell you when you try turning the siri feature off:

"The information Siri uses to respond to your requests will be removed from Apple servers. If you want to use Siri later, it will take time to resend this information."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.