Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Oracle released a developers version of Oracle9i Database for OS X:

Oracle today announced the immediate availability of the Oracle9i Database Release 2 Developers Release on Mac OS X version 10.2 "Jaguar," Apple's UNIX-based operating system, as part of an early access program for the Oracle and Apple developer community. The software download is immediately available free-of-charge to all registered Oracle Technology Network members. With this release, Apple developers can build applications that leverage Oracle's leading database technology running on Xserve, Apple's powerful new rack-mount server.

Oracle originally announced support for Macintosh during the announcement of the Xserve.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's really good but I keep hoping that IBM and Borland will show some interest so we'll have stable medium and large database systems.

I suppose that Borland's waiting to see if anyone else is going to buy their great, but expensive Java development system before they port InterBase, Delphi and C++ Builder to Mac OS X.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
support from ORacle is fantastic, especially with large companies and government agencies getting fed up with M$ for the new liscensing scheme, 500+ employe switchers are the best kind:D

PrettyMan

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
Oyeregui, Spain
Onlu five comments...

Only five comments. I can´t believe it.

Oracle for Jaguar is one of the more important things that Apple can use in its Server Strategy.

Please go to Oracle Technet and fill the survey. If you don't want Oracle, you don't need to download it, but fill the survey.

Think this: Oracle is the mayor DB vendor. Tons of applications (corporative) use it. If we have Oracle9i for X, and it works fine (production version), it can boost the sales of Apple Servers. Apple Servers = High margins. Margins = Money. Money = Less need to pay4everything. Less need to pay4everything = .mac for free, for ever (perhaps). ;) ;)

OK. Simple, do it, please.

Ciao.

kenohki

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2002
BUT WHERE IS MY 2GHz G5!!! *snicker*

Okay, sorry, I just found it funny that this is a pretty significant announcement and yet it hasn't created a wildfire thread like G5 rumors and such.

Seriously though, I use Oracle on NT every day to do my job. I'm really excited about this because it will let me use my Mac at home to do development and then move everything to an IDENTICAL environment on our NT production servers. Woo Hoo! Maybe soon we can replace those NT boxes with XServes. Wouldn't that be nice!

Along with Jaguar's Windows interoperability and Microsoft's Terminal Services Client for Mac, OS X is shaping up to be quite the enterprise material. Now if only IBM would do something about WebSphere. :rolleyes:

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
Oracle for Mac OSX Is Great, but

I agree w/ all previous comment s- this is big stuff...

However, bear in mind that Oracle 9i requires OSX SERVER 10.2 to run.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Nice dream

I would like to believe that this is significant, but I don't think it is. I suspect that Oracle's support for OS X is more politically motivated rather than commercially driven.

Why would you use a relatively slow, relatively expensive OS with a nice GUI to run Oracle when you could use Linux on Intel instead and get way more bang for your buck?

I just don't see Apple getting a share of the enterprise database hosting market.

I'd love to be proved wrong though, and this post is not intended as a criticism of OS X - I love it, I just don't see it succeeding in this space - just like I don't anticipate Photoshop or Office for Linux any time soon.

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
Re: Nice dream

Originally posted by Foocha
Why would you use a relatively slow, relatively expensive OS with a nice GUI to run Oracle when you could use Linux on Intel instead and get way more bang for your buck?

While it remains to be seen if this will result in Apple penetrating the enterprise datacenter, this is potentially huge.

The reason I say this is there are many organizations still running Oracle on Windows because they do not want to deal with administering Linux due to the perceived degree of difficulty. From a performance perspective, Oracle on *nix is much better than Oracle on Windows. And contrary to the belief of some people, OS X as a server OS has excellent performance.

OS X is getting a lot of attention at the enterprise level as an easy to manage UNIX - and it is. Also, from an enterprise perspective, it is very cheap. Having Oracle available on OS X simply adds that much more credibility.

kenohki

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2002
Re: Nice dream

Originally posted by Foocha
I would like to believe that this is significant, but I don't think it is. I suspect that Oracle's support for OS X is more politically motivated rather than commercially driven.

I just don't see Apple getting a share of the enterprise database hosting market.

I'd love to be proved wrong though, and this post is not intended as a criticism of OS X - I love it, I just don't see it succeeding in this space - just like I don't anticipate Photoshop or Office for Linux any time soon.

Well, it would be significant for all Mac shops that haven't had an enterprise class database choice for a long time. But agreed, other platforms are already entrenched in the database hosting market.

I was suprised as hell though when those Xinet benchmarks came back and showed some nice scalability on the XServe. Granted those tasks are different from Oracle performance but we may be in store for another surprise in this case.

Hopefully we can get some preliminary TPC-C and TPC-W benchmarks sometime soon. Though I must say, SQL Server has been kicking butt and taking names in the small database department on TPC-C and TPC-W (especially price/performance), which is where the XServe with Oracle would probably be targeted.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
not sure Linux is significant here

I'm not sure that I agree that Linux is a highly used, trusted alternative to Mac, HP, Sun, etc. for Database Server.

How many large (> 100 employees) companies are using linux as their *production* database server?

Is PGE , ATT, etc really going to entrust their production data/database/platform to an open source OS?

Don't know , just asking.

One way to tell might be ot see how many Linux DB courses Oracle teaches vs Solaris or HP
Also, iof Oracle Ed add sclasses on maangin the server on OSX.

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
Point taken about Linux, but from what I understand, Linux is increasingly being adopted by large corporates - Sun themselves have even released a distro. The penguin is coming!

The reason I singled out Linux is because that seems the best comparison with OS X - if you're looking for an alternative to NT/2000 or Solaris.

I don't buy the idea that Oracle on OS X will be any easier to use than Oracle on Linux, by the way.

nixd2001

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2002
UK
Re: Oracle for Mac OSX Is Great, but

Originally posted by maclamb
I agree w/ all previous comment s- this is big stuff...

However, bear in mind that Oracle 9i requires OSX SERVER 10.2 to run.

Is this so? Are there server and non-server versions of Jaguar/10.2? I tried re-reading the Oracle press release, and it does seem a bit blurry. A bit like the reference to XServe was more a friendly thing to promote Apple servers rather than an actual requirement. But then I haven't spent much time elsewhere on Oracle's site yet as my new DPG4 still hasn't arrived :mad: (despite the "shipping now" statements when launched).

If there are two versions of 10.2 and it won't work at all on a standard 10.2, then this is a real shame as I'd like to play with 9i but there's no way I'm going to fork out additional money for a server OS license *just* to do this.

Any clarifications here are greatly encouraged...

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
Server Req'd and Linux

I downloaded and untared the 91 release and the install instructions clearly state that it requires OS X Server. I have not tried intalling on non-Server- but having worked at oracle, this stuff is usually right. I could contact old friends at oracle and ask them , or just try it - but I'm too busy with other stuff (playing with squeak[http://www.squeak.org] and XML/web services) - for my purposes any db w/ jdbc access is fine -- for simple development/testing I use a cheap copy of openBase for Mac.
- and if pushed I still have a dell laptop w/ Oracle installed on win2k.
I agree - I would love to try it - but will not shell out hundreds for server just to play with an oracle product that is not critical for me or my busness.

I suggest you download it and try it and let us know!

I agree that oracle on OSX will not be any eaiser than on solaris (having installed on both - the install instructions - accounts, permissions, etc - are simialr to Solaris/Unix installs - much more "difficult" than NT...

I agree that linux is growing - but I would still think (like to believe?) that a company would prefer to use a large, stable companies' product - perhaps OSX Server will take a bite out of linux market?

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Oracle 9i works on Jaguar 10.2 (non server)

I just installed Oracle 9i on OS X successfully (alomost), on Jaguar 10.2 (non server version). I installed this on my Ti Powerbook g4 550 Mhz.

I never used Oracle before, i am a DB2/AIX guy. I was able to succesfully install and start/stop Oracle database for the first time. Thank you Oracle and Apple. I need to pick up some oracle book.
The installation went smooth without major hitches..except that I was not able to Configure SQL*Net..i am getting some errors.
I could use help from some oracle gurus on this matter :)

I will keep you posted once I start using the oracle.

Good job Apple & Oracle.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
stand corrected

Cool! Nice to see oracle Docs are accurate - not!

I know a bit about Oracle and SQL*Net - what errors? You have a listener running and have set up TNSNAMES file?

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Maclamb, thats where i am stuck, the listener is not running and the setup of TNSNAMES.. i have to log off and log on as oracle to see the exact error messages..i have to get up early tomorrow, so i will post the exact error message tomorrow.
Thanks
Jay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.