Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatfrogger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Manchester, UK
Ok here goes.

Our network in school is Windows based. I have one of two macs in the school, the other belonging to one of my staff... therefore this is something that we both need fixing.

Until a month or two ago, we had administrator rights to the network, so this issue wasn't present, however due to an internal overtake of the IT Support dept, this is no longer possible.

Our Windows file server is structured as follows:

File Server
Shared
StaffShared
Users$:
Pupils:
Intake 07:
000123 (Student's Username)​
Intake 06 (and so on)​
Staff:
first.surname (and so on)​

When I connect to the file server using my non-administrator credentials, I can see the "Shared" and "Staff Shared" folders, however Users$ isn't there (Because obviously the $ makes it hidden). My credentials only give me permission to my Home Drive: /Fileserver/Users$/Staff/first.surname. I don't have permission for the parent directories Users$ and Staff!

With Windows, I can put the path to my HomeDirectory into Run and then authenticate with my credentials and it works! But I can't do this with my Mac... My original intention was to actually set these up to mount via AppleScript, so that I could have Staff Shared, Shared, and my Home drive (inside Users$/Staff) mounted with one click.

Shared and Staff Shared mount without issue this way, but I can't for love nor money mount my home drive. Even If i set the full path of my home drive up, It tries to Mount, and instead mounts the Users$ directory, but it has the little No Entry sign and I can't open it.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

(also code for AppleScript would be appreciated, I'm a bit new to AppleScript)

PS. IT Support won't be able to help because they have no clue about Macs!

Cheers
Joe

rwwest7

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Macs dont like going more than one level deep on the share. Not Microsofts fault. Needs to be \\server\share\homedirectory

fatfrogger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Manchester, UK
Macs dont like going more than one level deep on the share. Not Microsofts fault. Needs to be \\server\share\homedirectory

Thanks for the advice, however unfortunately that doesn't solve my problem!

We can't move all the user directories for our thousands of students/staff for the sake of two of us!

The issue is, I don't have permissions to access the Share.

Any way around this?

JM

rwwest7

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
Thanks for the advice, however unfortunately that doesn't solve my problem!

We can't move all the user directories for our thousands of students/staff for the sake of two of us!

The issue is, I don't have permissions to access the Share.

Any way around this?

JM

I'm speaking from experience! You don't have to move anything, just create another share. If you share out Staff you can still have Users$ shared. Then map to it as //server.domain.com/staff/YourFolder . Do you bind to AD from the Mac?

fatfrogger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Manchester, UK
I'm speaking from experience! You don't have to move anything, just create another share. If you share out Staff you can still have Users$ shared. Then map to it as //server.domain.com/staff/YourFolder . Do you bind to AD from the Mac?

The IT Dept are less than willing to assist us as senior management authorised the Macs and they were not consulted...

Consequently, the Mac is nothing to do with the Domain/AD.

Is the firewall on the Mac turned on?

Just checked, No it isn't.

EDIT:
When I attempt to 'Connect to Server' in Finder, putting the full path in, I am then prompted for credentials. Once these have been provided, I get;
The folder “Users$” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

Regards
JM

Last edited:

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
A while back I read where SMB is borked in Lion. You running Lion? If so, you are not alone. At that time there were no workarounds. Might want to Google that. I tried it at home and never did figure out how to connect to my XP or W7 machine, hence my search on the subject. Had to set up a Mac server to share files between the two, using a Mini as an intermediate stop. Pissed me off.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
EDIT:
When I attempt to 'Connect to Server' in Finder, putting the full path in, I am then prompted for credentials. Once these have been provided, I get;
The folder “Users$” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.

Regards
JM

The $ after Users usually indicates a hidden share. If you create a public share folder with everyone having full permissions, can you connect from the Mac?

fatfrogger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Manchester, UK
The $ after Users usually indicates a hidden share. If you create a public share folder with everyone having full permissions, can you connect from the Mac?

You mean to try to connect to a directory maybe three deep with permissions for all the directories on the way?

I could connect into a folder of one of the shared drives and see if I can make that work. I'll try on Thursday. Thanks for the idea.

Jm

rwwest7

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
The IT Dept are less than willing to assist us as senior management authorised the Macs and they were not consulted...

Consequently, the Mac is nothing to do with the Domain/AD.

Just checked, No it isn't.

EDIT:

Regards
JM
Are you in IT or management? Does senior management out rank IT in your organization? Why is IT so afraid of Macs? You would think they would be open to better things and new challenges.

Bottom line is you're not going to make this work without help from IT, permissions on the share need changed. No other way around it. You likely only have traverse permission on the Users$ folder (which works great with Windows for security purposes), that should be bumped up to "Read - This folder only". That...or create a new share point like I advised earlier.

Mac_Max

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Are you in IT or management? Does senior management out rank IT in your organization? Why is IT so afraid of Macs? You would think they would be open to better things and new challenges.

I'm guessing the OP is a teacher or other faculty member.

The reality is that they probably don't want to bother setting up something special for a couple users which is actually reasonable however annoying it might be. They could also be less flexible because of internal politics and/or they don't like Macs or at least don't want to manage two/three different platforms. At work our IT department hates the fact we have computers on XP 32bit, XP 64bit, Server 2003 64bit, Vista 64bit, and Win 7 64bit. Really the problems fall into Win XP/Win Vista/Win Vista & Win 7 problems, but having to keep track of three different sets of fixes for things is kinda annoying.

I'm not sure how important the issue is, but you could try Dave and see if it works:

http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html

They have a free trial I believe.

monyker

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012

Regards
JM

I think you'll have to agree that karma is a b*tch!
You got exactly what you deserved.

----------

Why is IT so afraid of Macs? You would think they would be open to better things and new challenges.

I don't think fear has anything to do with it. Very likely it has everything to do with the fact they weren't consulted in the first place.
By the way, different isn't necessarily better...just different.

rwwest7

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
The IT dept does work for senior management, does it not?

By the way, I work in an IT dept. And I know a lot of people who are scared to death of new things or ideas. If it were up to them we'd all be running Win 98 SE still.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA

Bottom line is you're not going to make this work without help from IT, permissions on the share need changed. No other way around it. You likely only have traverse permission on the Users$ folder (which works great with Windows for security purposes), that should be bumped up to "Read - This folder only". That...or create a new share point like I advised earlier.

We (IT) aren't afraid of Macs. Apple gives us ZERO resources for properly managing Macs. Don't blame IT. Blame Apple.

With that said some Apple Engineers, like myself, have found ways around it but it takes time. Its a cultural shift. It took 3 years of lobbying, analysis, RIO, etc. to finally get my company (Fortune 50) to finally buy in (and they bought in by tipping their toe nails in the water.)

monyker

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012
The IT dept does work for senior management, does it not?

And therein lies the problem with IT in so many organisations. It's viewed as a problem to control/quash instead of as a partner in meeting the "ends" of the organisation. I'm sick and tired of dinosaur execs that can't manage a simple home network but think they've got what it takes to make good unilateral decisions regarding corporate networks/systems and expect IT to simply fall in line. It is imperative that organisations have checks and balances in place to establish mutual accountability between IT and senior management, to encourage innovation and discourage either from running amok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.