Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
So I've been eyeing up these Keurig coffee makers (I love these things) but not sure which one to get. I was planning on using those 20% Bed Bath & Beyond coupons to snag one but I'm not sure what the differences are between the three models.

The ones I've been looking at are;

B40 Elite Brewer = $120
Special Edition Brewer = $150
Platinum Brewer = $180

Apart from the price and cosmetic differences, is there really any advantage to getting the B40 brewer over the Platinum one? On one hand I'm sorta leaning towards the B40 since it's cheaper and it'll fulfill my desire of having a Keurig. On the other hand, the Platinum looks really nice. As it's a "Platinum" one I'm assuming there are some advantages with that model over the other two; I just don't know what they are. Price isn't really a concern for me. I'm really just looking to get the best value/bang for the buck.

Any advice/help?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
B40 looks pretty nice. You don't get a 6oz brew option but I don't think I've ever used it on my B60 (the "Special Edition"). B40 also lacks auto-on timer and custom brew temp, but again features I wouldn't miss. Same 48oz reservoir as the B60, I'd get the B40 and save some money. Bought mine at Sam's Club and they didn't have the B40, but they included a big variety pack of coffees with the B60 for a pretty good price.

B70 ("Platinum") has 5 sizes, but the 4oz and 12oz don't strike me as terribly useful. 4oz maybe for espresso I guess? 12oz could make a pretty weak/bitter coffee from having too low a grounds:water ratio. Some find even the 10oz brew to be unpalatable but I like it. The 60oz reservoir is nice if you drink a lot of coffee but with the 48oz I fill at most once a day (we usually drink no more than 4 cups between my wife and I, if you'll brew more then consider the B70).

When you get your brewer (whichever one you get), make sure you register it at Keurig.com - you'll get a coupon for buy 2 cases / get 2 free. Plus if your order is I think $45 (3 cases) you'll get free shipping. So basically you buy 3 cases of K-cups, get another 2 free, and get free shipping. Heck of a deal.

Perihelion

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
We have the special edition but if I had to do it all over again, I would get the platinum one. Get the biggest water tank you can, the convenience is worth it. We love our Keurig, we probably make 30 cups of tea and coffee in it each day.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
We love our Keurig, we probably make 30 cups of tea and coffee in it each day.

:eek: You need a B3000!

----------

anyone know the best place/price to get one at. I don't want to throw down $150 on a coffee maker tbh.

They are very seldom discounted. Like I mentioned I got mine at Sam's, I think it was $150 (regular price for the B60) but included a fair amount of free K-cups, I think 24 of them.

You can get the Mini for $99, I'm getting one for my daughter for Christmas (they don't drink coffee much at all but my granddaughter LOVES the Hot Chocolates when she visits us - and we can take our own K-cups when we visit them! ;))

Beware the cheaper ones, e.g. Mr. Coffee has a K-cup compatible brewer similar to the Mini for $79 - but when you check the specs, it is only capable of one cup size instead of the Mini's three sizes.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
After going through numerous Keurig models and having some issues with noise, vibration and general clogging of the pump, I finally stumbled upon the Cuisinart model at Costco for $164.99. This model sells for $199.95 on Keurig's own site.

It has been by far the best one that we have had so far, and the Costco model includes 54 K-cups (about $38) and 6 water filters (about $25). So a good value as well.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
I have the B40 Elite, and it's a nice "entry level" machine, with a big enough reservoir for the price.

Just a hint: If you end up liking the Keurig ecosystem, I strongly recommend getting a K-cup drawer over the carousel. The B40 sits safely on the drawer's no-slip top platform, so there's virtually no additional loss of counter space.

Another hint: If it's dark, robust, yet smooth you're looking for in a K-cup coffee, without all the frou-frou flavoring, I use and heartily recommend Caribou Coffee's Obsidian, available at Target stores in the US and online.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Fascinating and very informative thread, which I am following with interest as I am a serious coffee lover. In fact, it drove me to google Keurig and drool at some of what I saw there....

alexlovesmacs

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
After going through numerous Keurig models and having some issues with noise, vibration and general clogging of the pump, I finally stumbled upon the Cuisinart model at Costco for $164.99. This model sells for $199.95 on Keurig's own site.

It has been by far the best one that we have had so far, and the Costco model includes 54 K-cups (about $38) and 6 water filters (about $25). So a good value as well.

I also bought that model at Costco during black friday it was $149.99 with a coupon, I really love this machine. To me it is a very good value with all the K-Cups and it has the My K-Cup reusable coffee filter so you can add your own ground coffee.

They have this Cuisinart at Bed Bath & Beyond for $199 though http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=124293&RN=2004&

But if you or a friend has a membership at Costco, I would highly recommend you to buy it there, The return policy at Costco is awesome.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...ang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC21898-Cat28485&topnav=

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yes! I really like the drawer over the carousel. It holds a lot more coffee and fits nicely under the machine. The Caribou Coffee Obsidian is also really nice.

If you really need a kickstart in the morning, I highly recommend the Revv Pulse, which has ginseng and guarana to go along with the caffeine.

Also, Costco has a 54-count Starbucks Caffee Verona box of K-cups for $34.99. That is a good price and the flavor is actually really nice.

I have the B40 Elite, and it's a nice "entry level" machine, with a big enough reservoir for the price.

Just a hint: If you end up liking the Keurig ecosystem, I strongly recommend getting a K-cup drawer over the carousel. The B40 sits safely on the drawer's no-slip top platform, so there's virtually no additional loss of counter space.

Another hint: If it's dark, robust, yet smooth you're looking for in a K-cup coffee, without all the frou-frou flavoring, I use and heartily recommend Caribou Coffee's Obsidian, available at Target stores in the US and online.

----------

Yeah, I forgot about the re-usable coffee filter added to it as well. My wife uses that a lot. She really like that Cafe du monde chicory coffee from time to time, and uses that basket to make some.

I also bought that model at Costco during black friday it was 149.99 with a coupon, I really love this machine. To me it's a very good value with all the K-Cups and it has the My K-Cup reusable coffee filter so you can add your own ground coffee.

They have this Cuisinart at Bed Bath & Beyond for $199 though http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=124293&RN=2004&

But if you or a friend has a membership at Costco, I would highly recommend you to buy it there, their return policy is awesome at Costco.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...ang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC21898-Cat28485&topnav=

Edit: Starbucks isn't my favorite place, but I know a lot of folks really like it. They recently got into the K-cup game with their own line of coffees which can be found here. I have only tried the Caffe Verona, since I picked it up at Costco cheap. I have to say, I really do like it.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
:eek: You need a B3000!

----------

They are very seldom discounted. Like I mentioned I got mine at Sam's, I think it was $150 (regular price for the B60) but included a fair amount of free K-cups, I think 24 of them.

You can get the Mini for $99, I'm getting one for my daughter for Christmas (they don't drink coffee much at all but my granddaughter LOVES the Hot Chocolates when she visits us - and we can take our own K-cups when we visit them! ;))

Beware the cheaper ones, e.g. Mr. Coffee has a K-cup compatible brewer similar to the Mini for $79 - but when you check the specs, it is only capable of one cup size instead of the Mini's three sizes.

My assistant purchased the Mini earlier this week at Kohl's...She is the coupon queen so she ended up getting it for $79. She doesn't drink tons of coffee either, but she recommends it. She lives alone, so the size is good for her. And she brought me in a cup of cocoa this afternoon, and it was yummy. :D

alexlovesmacs

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
I also forgot to mention my love for the hot water button for soup, tea or oatmeal on the Cuisinart, it is very convenient.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
These are new and the best coffee I've ever had at home. I've only seen them at Bed Bath and Beyond.

170405130426C.JPG

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I strongly recommend getting a K-cup drawer over the carousel. The B40 sits safely on the drawer's no-slip top platform, so there's virtually no additional loss of counter space.

Me three on the drawer. The only drawback is if you want the Keurig under a cabinet, you need to watch the height. For me it's perfect.

gramirez2012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Chicago, USA
I got the platinum model (B70). It's regularly $179 but I got it at Costco for $149 which is going price for the lesser B60 model. I haven't opened it yet as I'm saving it for Christmas.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
After going through numerous Keurig models and having some issues with noise, vibration and general clogging of the pump

PRIME - PRIME - PRIME :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Our first one did that about every other cup. I have to say that Keurig's customer support was TERRIFIC - they sent a replacement right out. This one's behaving fine.

Plus when I registered the replacement at Keurig.com I got another Buy 2 - Get 2 cases coupon! :D:D

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I got the platinum model (B70). It's regularly $179 but I got it at Costco for $149 which is going price for the lesser B60 model. I haven't opened it yet as I'm saving it for Christmas.

Well you have to open it at least a little before Christmas, unless it is a gift. Otherwise you won't be able to make coffees, cocoas, teas, chia and hot cider for the holidays :)

----------

One thing that I did later learn. If it does get stuck, you will notice two little hole in the metal pin that pierces the top of the K-Cup. You can use a paperclip or those little Christmas Tree type toothpicks to dislodge any stuck grounds. That will free it up. I learned that on some forum, can't recall where, but it works :)

PRIME - PRIME - PRIME :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Our first one did that about every other cup. I have to say that Keurig's customer support was TERRIFIC - they sent a replacement right out. This one's behaving fine.

Plus when I registered the replacement at Keurig.com I got another Buy 2 - Get 2 cases coupon! :D:D

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I've been watching prices on these. I want to get my mom one for Christmas. There is some sort of "Elite" "Limited Edition" on the front page of the Bed, Bath, and Beyond ad this week and I'm tempted to go with that for 149.99 with a 20% off coupon in the same ad.

Good choice?

Luckily, I know she prefer's Green Mountain or whatever it's called, so I guess I have the hard part figured out.

Is Green Mountain better than the "Donut Shop" stuff? I see that those K-Cups are highly rated on Amazon.

I am not a coffee drinker at all, but the Hot Apple Cider has me almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these for myself.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Is it just me, or does this company seem to feel A LOT like they are part of the inkjet printer industry?

Considering that the K-Cup coffee works out to about .67 for an 8 oz cup at full retail (and you can always find bargains), and inkjet ink costs about $1 per milliliter :eek:, I think they have a *long* way to go to catch up with the inkjet printer industry :)

----------

I've been watching prices on these. I want to get my mom one for Christmas. There is some sort of "Elite" "Limited Edition" on the front page of the Bed, Bath, and Beyond ad this week and I'm tempted to go with that for 149.99 with a 20% off coupon in the same ad.

Good choice?

Luckily, I know she prefer's Green Mountain or whatever it's called, so I guess I have the hard part figured out.

Is Green Mountain better than the "Donut Shop" stuff? I see that those K-Cups are highly rated on Amazon.

I am not a coffee drinker at all, but the Hot Apple Cider has me almost ready to pull the trigger on one of these for myself.

Honestly I don't know why the Donut Shop stuff is so highly rated. I tried some based on the ratings, and struggled through it. I thought it was pretty dreadful, but everyones tastes are different. Maybe a lot of folks would find my preferences dreadful. I tend to prefer the stronger/bolder blends. The Donut shop stuff was, at least in my opinion, very weak and mild. I would stick with the Green Mountain stuff, and some of the other brands myself. Green Mountain now owns Keurig. That works out well for them, I guess :)

It seems the Elite model at BB&B uses a different needle for better flavor extraction. I am not sure what other models also use that needle, and how much a difference it makes. But the machine itself should be a good choice. BB&B always have those 20% off cards they circulate through the mail all the time. So you may even be able to get it cheaper. Edit: Ooops.. for some reason I missed that you already mentioned those cards. :)

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
When you get your brewer (whichever one you get), make sure you register it at Keurig.com - you'll get a coupon for buy 2 cases / get 2 free. Plus if your order is I think $45 (3 cases) you'll get free shipping. So basically you buy 3 cases of K-cups, get another 2 free, and get free shipping. Heck of a deal.

You sir, have been very helpful. Didn't know they had that coupon offer so I'll def be registering my unit. I think I'll probably get the Platinum one since the coupon I have will knock it down to the price of the Special Edition. Seems like a good choice for me. Also have another coupon which I'll use to get the drawer since people seem to recommend that one alot.

Thanks for all the input. Now I just have to start picking out which KCups to get :)

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
We love our Platinum edition maker...and we always look for free samples, etc.

I am signed up with the Barista branch of coffee, and have gotten 2 4-packs of free coffee.

I love buying from Keurig.com for the reviews, the member pricing, free shipping, etc. And sometimes I get emails for coupons, or free sample boxes, etc.
They also have cheaper sample boxes than anywhere else I've seen.

I have bought a few flavors from Bed Bath and Beyond but their boxes usually are like 16-18 cups for $11 where as I get 24 cups for like $15 on Keurig.

My favorite flavor is Timothy's Parisian Nights ...amazing.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering--the cheapo hot chocolate k cups from Walmart are just as good as the expensive ones. We bought both and I actually prefer the cheaper ones. So we will continue to get those in the future.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Do these really make a decent cup of coffee or does it taste like vending machine coffee? I have thought about it a few times, as I am looking for a coffee maker myself.

EDIT: also, looks like they all have reservoirs. I would rather connect it next to the fridge, since I have hose going in the back of the fridge, can't I just split it and run it in the coffee maker?

----------

Interesting;)

These are new and the best coffee I've ever had at home. I've only seen them at Bed Bath and Beyond.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
After 2 B60's (each one failed after approximately 2 years of moderate use), I purchased a Cuisinart SS-780PC from Costco for $164. Comes with 54 K-Cups and a 3 year warranty. Also, this thing is MUCH quieter than the B-60's I had.

Attachments

• c8efbb3c.jpeg
    c8efbb3c.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
B70 ("Platinum") has 5 sizes, but the 4oz and 12oz don't strike me as terribly useful. 4oz maybe for espresso I guess? 12oz could make a pretty weak/bitter coffee from having too low a grounds:water ratio.

The 12 oz size is VERY useful. I use it more than half the time - it's a must when you're using a travel mug.

Any full-flavor or bold K-cup (not necessarily a darker roast) works great in a 12 oz size without tasting watery. I've only ever had a watery cup when making hot chocolate, and I have that problem at any size.

Honestly I don't know why the Donut Shop stuff is so highly rated. I tried some based on the ratings, and struggled through it. I thought it was pretty dreadful, but everyones tastes are different.

There's more than one "Donut Shop" K-cup. The Coffee People Donut Shop is fantastic. The stuff by Donut House Collection is okay (the flavors are better), and Timothy's Donut Shop was very mediocre, IMO.

Do these really make a decent cup of coffee or does it taste like vending machine coffee? I have thought about it a few times, as I am looking for a coffee maker myself.

To me, they taste every bit as good as anything you could make in a drip coffee maker, possibly better. I like not having to make more than a single cup at a time (instead of by the carafe).

EDIT: also, looks like they all have reservoirs. I would rather connect it next to the fridge, since I have hose going in the back of the fridge, can't I just split it and run it in the coffee maker?

There used to be an office model that you could hook up to a water line, is that no longer available?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.