Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Of course it does and hopefully both companies will support iCloud. That should mean reading PDFs and writing annotated PDFs from iCloud storage.

I guess what I mean is how does it connect to the "outside world".

iCloud seems very much focused on keeping the entirety of the content inside that app to remove the filesystem. These apps work well because you can easily flow documents between them and their appropriate respective apps. iCloud would be limiting.

EmmEff

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I guess what I mean is how does it connect to the "outside world".

iCloud seems very much focused on keeping the entirety of the content inside that app to remove the filesystem. These apps work well because you can easily flow documents between them and their appropriate respective apps. iCloud would be limiting.

I don't think that's the case at all. iCloud should interface with the outside world as just another filesystem. You should be able to drag files in and out at will. Right now, to put files into Goodreader you need to sync through iTunes or through a supported cloud service, so why would iCloud act any differently?

teseus

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2011
Goodreader has been my most used app from the beginning cos I have to read a lot of texts on the go. I love reading with the text reflow and its possibility of adjusting background and font colour and switching between day and night modes. The only thing I really miss in this app is to highlight text and add comments in text reflow (I often mark the texts I read and every time I want to highlight or add a comment I have to switch from reflow to normal mode where fonts are usually very small and marking is quite cumbersome). My question is: Is it possible in Readdledocs to add comments while reading with text reflow or to change the font size in original pdf/doc file?

Last edited:

knp

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
I wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has used both recently. I just got an iPad & want to invest in either one of these apps, but can't decide for the life of me. Both the same price tag & very similar features, but which one offers more bang for the buck?

I use Dropbox, Evernote, deal with a lot of.PDFs & Office documents for school, so if that helps with deciding which app might be better tailored to my needs... or if both are pretty much the same.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Both apps are very similar feature wise. I personally prefer ReaddleDocs, as its UI is a lot more thought out and aesthetically pleasing, as compared to Good Reader.

That said, you probably won't go wrong with either app.

I wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone has used both recently. I just got an iPad & want to invest in either one of these apps, but can't decide for the life of me. Both the same price tag & very similar features, but which one offers more bang for the buck?

I use Dropbox, Evernote, deal with a lot of.PDFs & Office documents for school, so if that helps with deciding which app might be better tailored to my needs... or if both are pretty much the same.

knp

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
Both apps are very similar feature wise. I personally prefer ReaddleDocs, as its UI is a lot more thought out and aesthetically pleasing, as compared to Good Reader.

That said, you probably won't go wrong with either app.

Thanks for your input, hitekalex. I know a lot of older search results have touted GR as an amazing "swiss army knife"-like app, but it seems Readdle has upped its game at this point in my search.

knp

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
The advantage of goodreader is PDF annotation. But Readdle has another app called PDF Expert ($9.99) which does PDF annotation great.

Are the PDF annotation capabilities of ReaddleDocs not up to par with GR? I have seen PDF Expert, but am really hoping to stick to the best "all-in-one" app for now.

Are the PDF annotation capabilities of ReaddleDocs not up to par with GR? I have seen PDF Expert, but am really hoping to stick to the best "all-in-one" app for now.

Well in ReaddleDocs you can only add hidden typed notes, and highlight/underline text. In other words, no free hand annotations.

It's my understanding that PDF expert DOES have all the same capabilities as readdledocs (which is kinda like a storage unit for all your cloud services), but also with more advanced annotation, filling out forms ability, signature etc. I think the only thing you can't do in PDF expert is browse the web, which isn't really needed anyway.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Jan 26, 2009

If you need basic PDF annotations - ReaddleDocs will be more than okay for you.

I explained the difference between PDF Expert and ReaddleDocs (maybe even in this post :) ). But if you want - I can do it again.

Feel free to ask questions.

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Looking forward to ReaddleDocs update on iPhone to match the amazing new iPad version recently released. Is there an ETA please?

knp

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
Thanks for the input to those who've replied to me! I bought RD -- can't wait to give it a spin.

roycemac

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
This seems a bit mundane considering this thread content, but I jsut ot my first Ipad and my biggest problem is reading Excel Workbooks/Sheets with teh formulas intact and the cell COMMENTS.
Can Readdle view excel sheets with Comments intact?

roycemac

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
I have had contact with Both Readdle Docs and DataVz (DocsToGo) and both were very disappointing.

My biggest need was viewing an Excel sheet WITH its Cell Comments. Both claimes that they provide this in their apps. Both LIED.
Neither app was able to do this and this was confirmed by both companies via email with Support.

Even more disappointing, however, was the fact that BOTH apps performed so poorly with Excel sheets.

Docs to Go only took a few sheets of a workbook...usually 2 to 3, ignoring all the other sheets in that workbook. It was random from book to book.
The screen refresh was awful...with long pauses everytime you moved the sheet to view another section (no other apps were running on my Ipad...and yes I do know how to turn them off). Too bad since the Bluetooth Sync worked well. But if it doesn't take all the sheets in a workbook...its fairly useless...and yes, I tested the same workbook through Itunes and a hardwire...same results.

Readdle Docs was juut as poor, but for different reasons.
It, too, cannot read Excel comments, but worse was the incredibly bad interface. The TABS (the sheets of a workbook) display across the top of the screen and you choose the sheet you want to view. Unbelievably, when you scroll the tabs and choose another sheet to view, you have to scroll back all the way to the LEFT to see the sheet! The software binds the TABS to the SHEET VIEW! Are you kidding me?

A big F for both apps IF you want to view more than just the grocery list from an Excel sheet. Shame on them both for making claims about Excel capabilities that neither of them have.

roycemac

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
I have Reported the Problem with Itunes for both these apps...as Dataviz instructed me to do.
Itunes immediately redirected me back the Developer for both apps.
i have requested a refund from both companies.

We will now see how this is handled. I am NOT going away and I want all to see how this plays out so they know what companies are honest and what companies are not.
I can go right to Mastercard and force the refund, btu I would rather they both step up and do the right thing.

We shall see.

Last edited:

stiwi

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2010
Dubai
Does ReaddleDocs and GoodReader have the same features? Are there any major differences between them except UI?
Which one would handle large (more than 100MB) PDF files better?

Fedorov

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Any New Year news on an update to the iPhone ReaddleDocs to match the great iPad version please?

roycemac

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
I am happy to report that both Readdle Docs and Dataviz returned with the offer of a refund.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
I have been using Goodreader since I first bought my iPad1 and they've beensteady with the updates, new features and bug fixes? It would be in my top ten most used apps easily, maybe top 5 :apple:

mantic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2007
AL
How does PDF expert handle .ppt files? Can they be edited and annotated/notes added in a similar fashion as Powerpoint?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I have been using Goodreader since I first bought my iPad1 and they've beensteady with the updates, new features and bug fixes? It would be in my top ten most used apps easily, maybe top 5 :apple:

I also prefer GoodReader. I have tried both apps, and I loved ReaddleDocs too, but when the time became to decide between those two, I chose GoodReader because it supports PDF handwritten annotations and also reading multiple documents at a time (using a tabbed interface).

True, I kind of prefer ReaddleDocs file management interface, and background synchronization, but I can't use both at a time and have my files duplicated on both apps.

But I keep testing both apps every time there's an update...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.