Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guydor

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Hi,

I'm planning to purchase a Wacom tablet.

I was wondering what are the differences between the three Bamboo models?

Bamboo Connect
Bamboo Capture
Bamboo Create

Thanks!

babyt

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2009
texas
Hi,

I'm planning to purchase a Wacom tablet.

I was wondering what are the differences between the three Bamboo models?

Bamboo Connect
Bamboo Capture
Bamboo Create

Thanks!

connect has no programmable buttons
both connect and capture have small sized drawing area
capture and create have programmable buttons
create has medium sized drawing area and a pen with an erasure.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Apple brands better. Alternative?

Can this thread be a testament to how bad Wacom is at branding their product line-up? Apple, as good example, has a 13", 15" and 17" laptop. Wacom, as bad example, has Bamboo Connect, Capture, and Create. You have to think too hard to correlate what that means with the possible differentials of a tablet. It's not clear and doesn't lead to an easy buying choice. At the very least their $79 and $99 products should just consolidate into one. So just have the Connect, and the Create. Problem solved. Then it wouldnt be hard to differentiate.

By the way, Monoprice has graphic tablets that I hear are good products and you can get a 12x19 tablet for $87.00. I would do that instead. (Not affiliated with monoprice in any way)

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
What are you going to be using the tablet for? I just picked up the intuos4 small tablet and I could not be happier. I was originally going to get the Bamboo but the intuos has so many more features that i decided it was worth the extra money at $199.

Zoreke

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Can this thread be a testament to how bad Wacom is at branding their product line-up? Apple, as good example, has a 13", 15" and 17" laptop. Wacom, as bad example, has Bamboo Connect, Capture, and Create. You have to think too hard to correlate what that means with the possible differentials of a tablet. It's not clear and doesn't lead to an easy buying choice. At the very least their $79 and $99 products should just consolidate into one. So just have the Connect, and the Create. Problem solved. Then it wouldnt be hard to differentiate.

By the way, Monoprice has graphic tablets that I hear are good products and you can get a 12x19 tablet for $87.00. I would do that instead. (Not affiliated with monoprice in any way)

Those mono price tablets look interesting for the digital artist on a tight budget. I've been using wacom for years and they are good products.

I think even the small Bamboo has a lot of potential and it will last long time.

Good luck

:D

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Those mono price tablets look interesting for the digital artist on a tight budget. I've been using wacom for years and they are good products.

Wacom's brand is reliable. I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about a Wacom tablet. That being said I think the 10 out of 10 reviews Monoprice tablets have warrant a step outside the comfort zone. If you're a pro's pro, though, no need to step outside the comfort zone since price isn't an issue. If you're a student or starting professional Monoprice should be on the radar. Tiss all.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Wacom's brand is reliable. I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about a Wacom tablet.

Really? Have you ever been to the Wacom forums? The 'blobbing' issue that Wacom claim they can't reproduce but which affects thousands of users? The inaccuracies of the 12" Cintiq's pen tracking, which uses fewer calibration points than the stylus on a Nintendo DS?

Don't get me wrong -- I've been using Wacom products for years, and am currently enjoying the delights of the new Cintiq 24HD. The problem is that their pricing isn't justified by their quality control.

Last edited:

halfcamerageek

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
I have a single complaint about the Wacom tablets reliability: the pens are very fragile. They have a ferrite tube inside and it breaks on the first time you drop them. I have two broken Intuso4 styluses here.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Really? Have you ever been to the Wacom forums? The 'blobbing' issue that Wacom claim they can't reproduce but which affects thousands of users? The inaccuracies of the 12" Cintiq's pen tracking, which uses fewer calibration points than the stylus on a Nintendo DS?

I didn't know, thanks for informing me. In my own circle of graphic designers I've never heard anyone complain so it is a surprise. In fact most designers and a few digital illustrators I know have older models that seem ancient but they work so no one upgraded. If they survive the crazy mobility of an art-school user in my book they are well made, but in numbers It seems the forum is where to go to see where things may go wrong. Bummer about the 12" Cintiq. Is it isolated to the 12" model? And is the current Cintiq plagued by the problem or did they solve it? I really want the 21" Cintiq. They seem sold out everywhere, by the way.

I have a Wacom Graphire 2 which is ancient and still running strong. But I'm not their main target customer, those are heavy duty digital artists and I have heard some complains about the new texture and nubs wearing down frequently. I figured I'd just get older models because they seem reliable enough, or just get the Monoprice ones. Have you had any Graphire 4 experience? Recommend it?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I have a single complaint about the Wacom tablets reliability: the pens are very fragile. They have a ferrite tube inside and it breaks on the first time you drop them. I have two broken Intuso4 styluses here.

???

I've never had that happen and I abuse mine. I use the 6D art pen maybe its different.

Jim Campbell

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
A World of my Own; UK
Have you had any Graphire 4 experience? Recommend it?

Unfortunately, not. I have a trusty Intuos 3 that I use on the move, and I have absolutely no complaints about it. It's been up and down the country countless times, used in pubs, hotel rooms, on trains… it's brilliant piece of kit. I think -- oddly -- the more 'basic' the tablet, the better the product, so I've no reason to think that the Graphire would be any different. I'm certainly not aware of any significant complaints about it…

As for the Cintiq range -- the difference between the 12" and the 21" is like night and day. Notwithstanding the pen tracking issues (and the fact that the bottom 1/4 inch of the screen is frequently out of alignment with the rest of the screen, and the absolute bottom few pixels are often unresponsive, making it impossible to activate the Dock), the 12" kind of feels like you're peering at a portion of your document through a tiny window, where the 21" feels much more like working at a proper drawing board. The 24" takes that concept and turns it up to 11.

Cheers!

Jim

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I now use an A4 Intuos 3. Before that, I had a Graphire 4 I used for years. The tablet itself works great, and I love it (good feeling, good precision). The pen, however, has a very poor build quality and has a tendency to break easily, so take care of it. I've heard the exact same comments from other people.

chromi

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
I love my wacom tablet.

Really? I've had my wacom bamboo pen for like nearly 3 years, and I've only changed my pen tip once. I use my tablet often too.

I'd say I have had the most amazing experience with bamboo tablets. It's affordable and VERY reliable. I just throw it in my bag all the time, and it's been roughed up but it works like a charm. It's incredible for how much it was worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.