Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Onemorerun

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Video demo...

I would love to see an updated YouTube video of your product. Especially the rendering of large documents and your note taking that you mention has been redone.

I've been searching high and low (and buying and discarding) numerous PDF apps. GoodReader has the best engine, however the fact that it doesn't allow me to mark up scanned PDF images is a deal breaker for me. Also, not having some sort of thumbnail preview of the document makes reviewing a large document to cumbersome.

Also, I'm curious to know the workflow between ReaddleDocs and PdfExpert. You mention that ReaddleDocs will be updated and ReaddleDocs has can view PDFs as well as do some annotation, correct? Will having both apps be redundant? I'm trying to get all in one solutions and do away with redundant apps as best as I can.

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Thanks for your replies guys! We listen to all of them, as you know, continually updating our apps.

So, let me expand a little bit on a topic of ReaddleDocs and PDF Expert. ReaddleDocs was released much earlier as a powerful file management system and document viewer. On the other hand, PDF Expert is an app for people who need annotation capabilities and some business features (PDF forms, signatures, etc).

I understand your point about cross integration between 2 apps. You can use Readdle storage (and sync it), which is universal for both apps. Also, if you have both apps, I would recommend you to stick with PDF Expert, as it is almost as powerful as ReaddleDocs for file management and amazing for annotations.

you should consider bundling them.

for example:

Readdle Expert - $9.99 (readdle + pdf expert engine/capabilities)

Readdle - as is

PDFPro - as is

i started on Readdle back on the iPad 1 last year but have, i must admit, moved onto Goodreader given its ability to breeze through 1000 page catalogs like butter... as well as view everything else i throw at it.

i'd come back if there was a better package. as it is now, you're suffering from fragmentation to a degree and frustrating customers.

again though, loved Readdle and you guys always did a great job in support.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
I would love to see an updated YouTube video of your product. Especially the rendering of large documents and your note taking that you mention has been redone.

I've been searching high and low (and buying and discarding) numerous PDF apps. GoodReader has the best engine, however the fact that it doesn't allow me to mark up scanned PDF images is a deal breaker for me. Also, not having some sort of thumbnail preview of the document makes reviewing a large document to cumbersome.

Also, I'm curious to know the workflow between ReaddleDocs and PdfExpert. You mention that ReaddleDocs will be updated and ReaddleDocs has can view PDFs as well as do some annotation, correct? Will having both apps be redundant? I'm trying to get all in one solutions and do away with redundant apps as best as I can.

We are already working on some videos of the app. I will post them as soon as they are ready.

How do you want to mark scanned document? Free handwriting is the only way you can mark that. Are you talking about thumbnail previews of pages inside the document? PDF Expert does that. It also does page management.

I think I explained to difference between ReaddleDocs and PDF Expert before (maybe even in this thread). I will keep it short: ReaddleDocs is a file manager with basic annotation features. It has built-in browser to get files from everywhere, mp3 player and much more.

On the other hand, PDF Expert is the most powerful tool for work with PDFs (at the same time it can read any other type of document). It has advanced annotations, page management (you can extract, delete, move pages within the document), PDF forms support, signatures, customized stamps and much more. So yes, if you have PDF Expert you won't need ReaddleDocs. But we thought about other users, who doesn't need all these powerful features, that is why ReaddleDocs is cheaper and also popular.

I hope that helps.

Onemorerun

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Thanks for your response...

Yes, I did notice your explanation of ReaddleDocs vs PDF Expert after what I wrote. Sorry for the repetition.

Yeah, I meant Thumbnail previews and it is good to know that PDF Expert does have this. GoodReader and some others do not, which I find annoying. Yup, Freehand on scanned documents is what I was talking about. Another thing GoodReader doesn't have, which I have found annoying.

Thanks for your explanation and response.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Cool. Hopefully, this is going to include some sort of a desktop component, where I can access my Readdle/iCloud files on Mac/PC.

We've almost finished working on Mac client for iCloud and PDF Expert/ ReaddleDocs integration.

Onemorerun

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Export to photo album...

Hi, I ended up giving PDF Expert a go.

Unless I missed it, I didn't see the ability to export a page to the IPad Photo Album. I am not sure how hard this would be to implement, but it would be useful and I have seen it in other PDF apps.

This function would be good for people that want to extract a page as an image to embed into a note taking application. I do this a lot.

Snorkledorf

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Kansai, Japan
I'm just starting to play with PDF Expert; I've been using iAnnotate fairly happily for some months but am always looking around for improved options.

PDF Expert seems very quick on page turns even for scanned (image-based) PDFs, so that's very nice. The markup seems very smooth as well.

Are there any plans for a bookshelf view that shows the document covers? I'm a very visual learner and lack of that one feature was a big reason I originally drifted away from GoodReader to iAnnotate.

Onemorerun

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Snorkledorf

Hey Snorkledorf,

I too just recently bought PDF Expert. I agree the smooth annotations is good. If it were a little better I would even try to use it as a Notebook by inserting blank PDF pages into a document. But not that smooth.

I'd be curious on your thoughts on Iannotate as I have thought about trying that to. I'm glad you thought PDF Expert has great rendering. I noticed that Iannotate can convert webpages to PDF. Does it work well? Could be very useful.

Right now I am trying to consolidate consolidate consolidate. As it stands now I most likely use a notebook app and PDF Expert for annotations. Or I may try UPAD for both, and use PDF Expert only for complex PDF stuff.

I'm am finding app consolidation is very frustrating as I really don't like to have to use 5 apps to do a process that should only take 2.

Snorkledorf

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Kansai, Japan
Hey Onemorerun,

I know what you mean about jumping around different apps. I've bought any number of them. For ebook reading & highlighting I've been using iAnnotate (and am testing out PDF Expert), and for note-taking and focused PDF markup (e.g. correcting papers) I've been using Note Taker HD. For just note-taking I'm jumping between Notes Plus and Noteshelf. So I've utterly failed to consolidate at this point. :D

iAnnotate's good features are:
  • You can have 6? documents open in tabs at once
  • The desktop app monitors a folder so you can throw a doc into it and download it to iAnnotate at your leisure
  • It has a lovely bookshelf view so I can instantly recognize my books
  • The interface is very customizable; I can prepare as many markup pens etc as I like in multiple toolbars
  • You can make PDFs from its built-in web browser, which works without a problem.

Drawbacks:
  • The interface is so complex as to be intimidating; it took a while to wrap my mind around it
  • With three rows of buttons pressed together (the top button bar, the tab bar, and the top toolbar if you've placed one there), it's way too easy to tap the wrong button
  • It's easy to call up the toolbars when I meant to tap to turn pages
  • There's no ability to crop individual files the way GoodReader can, so I either have to pre-crop them on the desktop or do a lot of page positioning as I read a book
  • You can't edit the table of contents or reorder pages (huge win for PDF Expert)

And neither iAnnotate nor PDF Expert (nor GoodReader) can handle Japanese-order PDF files where it's natural to page to the left as you go through the file. FastPDF+ and iBunkoHD can, but their markup features are primitive to nonexistent.

PDF Expert looks like a worthy challenger to iAnnotate in my workflow. I love that it has multiple pens all available at once so I can swap highlighters freely.

Onemorerun

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Thanks for the great reply.

Yes, the reordering of pages is great in PDF Expert. Thanks for the great insight.

You should try the free version of UPAD if you haven't yet. It has really smooth writing for notes. I like the book marking, and the way they implemented the choosing of page export is good also.

Also, if you are interested in seeing what I think is the smoothest writing I have seen try Bamboo Paper, which is also free. Smooth like butter.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Just *slightly* off topic, but wanted to thank Readdle team for the great update to ReaddleDocs. The update is exactly what I hoped it would be.

Like the new interface and the new PDF annotations functionality. So, it's perfect for people like me, who don't need full PDF editing functionality of Expert and want to have an "all-in-one" file management app.

Nice work, guys! :D

Last edited:

4zuresky

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2011
Yes, the reordering of pages is great in PDF Expert. Thanks for the great insight.

You should try the free version of UPAD if you haven't yet. It has really smooth writing for notes. I like the book marking, and the way they implemented the choosing of page export is good also.

Also, if you are interested in seeing what I think is the smoothest writing I have seen try Bamboo Paper, which is also free. Smooth like butter.

Reordering pages is great WITHIN the document, but it would be EVEN better if we can reorder the documents themselves. I have so many documents within one subject, I get confused because it gets saved in random order for documents within a folder. :(

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I love this application - have been using it for over a year now and is simply the best. Although, I do keep switch back and forth between GoodReader and this for 1 reason: GoodReader has iCloud support which allows me to push my files to all the devices I own... any plan to implement this in PDF Expert? Also, I would really appreciate it if this were to become a universal application - any plans for this (or maybe give me a promo code for the iPhone version via PM)?
By the way, the wrist protection feature is very well done - works far better than that of PenUltimate. Kudos.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Good update.

Needs more work IMO.
Takes too lomg to find integration with Dropbox and the like, almost like its buried within or hidden. Also, please get this working in tandom with Readdledocs; it would be so much more intuitive and flow nicer.

Thanks.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
Good update.

Needs more work IMO.
Takes too lomg to find integration with Dropbox and the like, almost like its buried within or hidden. Also, please get this working in tandom with Readdledocs; it would be so much more intuitive and flow nicer.

Thanks.

It's funny how as users we can disagree. I love this product's interface, preferring it over ReaddleDocs (which I now have no need for as PDF Expert has becom my main app for doc storage etc) and have had no problems with the DropBox integration. Love the folder syncing with DB, which has proved most useful for university lecture notes: before a lecture I upload slides to DropBox in suitable subject folder, make notes in PDF Expert during the lecture and after the lecture sync them back to DropBox, everything neatly organised in relevant subject folders. Brilliant.

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
My Dropbox sync doesn't seem to be working. Every time I push changes, it keeps deleting whole folders from my Dropbox account, even if I didn't make any changes to those folders.

Anyway of introducing a one way sync option, like Goodreader has? So I can sync changes from the server but not the other way?

Until then, I'll have to stick to Greader as can't risk losing important files. Shame, as much prefer this app in all other ways.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
My Dropbox sync doesn't seem to be working. Every time I push changes, it keeps deleting whole folders from my Dropbox account, even if I didn't make any changes to those folders.

Anyway of introducing a one way sync option, like Goodreader has? So I can sync changes from the server but not the other way?

Until then, I'll have to stick to Greader as can't risk losing important files. Shame, as much prefer this app in all other ways.

The update is already there. Waiting for Apple to approve it.

Readdlemate

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
So any progress to report on iCloud integration? Many of us an anxiously awaiting the feature. Keep it the good work!

Yes, guys, whole our team (more than 10 devs) is working on the iCloud integration for all our apps including Scanner Pro, Printer Pro, ReaddleDocs etc. The problem is that iCloud does not work well at the moment. So we just don't want to release an update which is not perfect. We are working...as hard as we can :)

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Yes, guys, whole our team (more than 10 devs) is working on the iCloud integration for all our apps including Scanner Pro, Printer Pro, ReaddleDocs etc. The problem is that iCloud does not work well at the moment. So we just don't want to release an update which is not perfect. We are working...as hard as we can :)

Sounds good thanks for the update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.