Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCrank

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
UK
Hi all,

Is a thunderbolt the same lead as a Mini displayport or is it a completely different lead?

MacCrank

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
UK
It will work:
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP):

Thank goodness!! It looks different to in the pic and thought this new thunderbolt on the newer MacBooks were changed completely!! TVM

----------

So I am right by saying its not the lead that will need to be a thunderbolt to make it perform, its actually the thunderbolt in the computer? In other words the lead I purchased above, will this give thunderbolt performance?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Poor Quality Snaps

Hi all,

Is a thunderbolt the same lead as a Mini displayport or is it a completely different lead?

But see the attached images of my Thunderbolt cable....Pretty sure they are the same

Attachments

• Tbolt.jpg
    Tbolt.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 528
  • Tbolt2.jpg
    Tbolt2.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 398
Nov 28, 2010
located
But see the attached images of my Thunderbolt cable....Pretty sure they are the same

The focus is behind the actual Thunderbolt plug, thus the image does not show anything.

And as visible from the link I posted, Thunderbolt uses the same form as the Mini DisplayPort, thus one can use MDP via Thunderbolt.
Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt
MR_video_out_Mac_Mini_DP.png
MDP adapters can be bought online from:
MDP to VGA adapter from Apple
MDP to DVI adapter from Apple
MDP to Dual-Link-DVI adapter from Apple

Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support adapter from the Apple Online Store

Mini DisplayPort + USB to Dual-Link DVI adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from Monoprice - *NOTE* This product does NOT support audio for Macs that outputs audio through the Mini DisplayPort.
Mini Displayport Male and USB Male/Toslink Audio to HDMI Female Converting adapter from Monoprice
Mini Displayport Male and USB Male Audio to HDMI Female Converting adapter from Monoprice - *NOTE* Will only support 2 channel stereo. Will not support 5.1 Dolby Surround like the above adapter.

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cables from Monoprice

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"

rfurtado

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
North York, ON Canada
Cable to connect VGA video to new Retina Macbook Pro 13" Thunderbolt

I replaced my mid 2009 macbook pro 13" with the shiny new Macbook pro 13" retina display. I thought the cable I had needed to be replaced, but looking again at the apple site, it appears the cable didn't change.

Attachments

• Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter.jpg
    Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 689

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I replaced my mid 2009 macbook pro 13" with the shiny new Macbook pro 13" retina display. I thought the cable I had needed to be replaced, but looking again at the apple site, it appears the cable didn't change.

Yes, Thunderbolt is Mini-Displayport + Extra data channels. You can use Mini-Displayport cables in a Thunderbolt port.

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense

dude.. this thread is from 2011..

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Thunderbolt is mini-displayport + pcie. It can be one or the other, using the same port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.