Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
My MBA is my first Mac and the cut and paste function is something I use a lot in Windows to move files. How do you enable this on a Mac? Is there a keyboard short cut that works as a substitute? I am on Snow Leopard btw.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
Copy and paste, or just drag the folders or files to the required destination...
Well that is just stupid. Now I have to go back to the folder I copied the files from and delete them. Why are people forced to do this extra step? Why can't Apple just include the 'Cut' option in right click next to the 'Copy' option. If you can enable copy, how hard is it to enable cut? I just don't get some things with Macs. Just because they happen to not use/like it doesn't mean there are other who actually need and use them.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Well that is just stupid. Now I have to go back to the folder I copied the files from and delete them. Why are people forced to do this extra step? Why can't Apple just include the 'Cut' option in right click next to the 'Copy' option. If you can enable copy, how hard is it to enable cut? I just don't get some things with Macs. Just because they happen to not use/like it doesn't mean there are other who actually need and use them.

There are numerous threads on this issue already. There are various third-party solutions that add cut and paste, but I'm not sure how well they work with Lion.

As for why; Apple decides what functionality you need. People should understand that by now.

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
i was told that the logic was that if you cut a file, and suddenly your machine powered off without pasting it first, you lost the file. so its a precaution measure.

but i agree with you. it was one of the few things i truly missed from windows.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
i was told that the logic was that if you cut a file, and suddenly your machine powered off without pasting it first, you lost the file. so its a precaution measure.

but i agree with you. it was one of the few things i truly missed from windows.
I can tell you from experience that I find that to believe. The file is truly not 'cut' from its original location unless you 'paste' it at a new location. Done it multiple times on Windows, many times I've Ctrl-Xed something and totally forgotten to paste it and the original file is always there.

zepman

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Sweden
Copy the file first, cmd + c.
Then "Move item here" with alt + cmd + v.

That will behave like cut and paste.

DouchGod

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
My MBA is my first Mac and the cut and paste function is something I use a lot in Windows to move files. How do you enable this on a Mac? Is there a keyboard short cut that works as a substitute? I am on Snow Leopard btw.

If you hold "Alt" as you drag a icon it will copy it to where you dragged it, you can drag through your directories just hover over a file and it will open.

Also the poster above is correct.

Command+C copies the files or documents, note they won’t be ‘cut’ yet
Command+Option+V pastes the documents into the new location, cutting it from the prior locating and moving it to the new location

Last edited:

n1tut

macrumors regular
What a load of bollocks. There is no reason why cut and paste should not be a function.

I have changed over from PC to MBA this year, and Apple rocks, but this sort of narrow mindlessness is just petty.

tut

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey

There are a couple of apps that might help you with your transition. One is called Totalfinder which adds functionality to finder and adds cut/paste menu options.

The other is called Pathfinder and is a replacement for finder. Either one is good but Pathfinder has a lot more functionality and options.

Good luck!!

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
There is. Cmd + c then cmd + alt + v as others have mentioned

Is this tip applicable only to Lion? Because it doesn't seem to work for me on Snow Leopard. For 'Alt' I am just pressing the 'Option' button because it has both 'alt' at the top and 'option' at the bottom. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to press an extra key to activate the 'alt' function on the 'option' key?

ajack

macrumors member
May 31, 2010
I think you should try Path Finder. But, it's somehow a waste cause Path Finder is not worth 40$ to add some extra command. However, you should try 30-free days using before purchasing (of course!)

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Is this tip applicable only to Lion? Because it doesn't seem to work for me on Snow Leopard. For 'Alt' I am just pressing the 'Option' button because it has both 'alt' at the top and 'option' at the bottom. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to press an extra key to activate the 'alt' function on the 'option' key?

Yes, it's only been added in lion. I would suggest checking out path finder as others have suggested. I've been using it for a couple of years and I like it. It has more sensible sorting options and other functionality that makes it worth its price, in my opinion.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
The time you take to open your destinatin folder and move the file/folder is a lot less then the time you take to cut and paste.

Its ridicoulous, but taking the time to second press the mouse, drag the cursor to "cut", make sure its on cut, left click the selection, second click again on the destination, move he cursor to paste, make sure its set to paste, press left click.....MAN......

just click once and move. simple as that lot faster, thanks apple for obligating me to get used to this.

Once you get used, you never miss cut.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
The time you take to open your destinatin folder and move the file/folder is a lot less then the time you take to cut and paste.

Its ridicoulous, but taking the time to second press the mouse, drag the cursor to "cut", make sure its on cut, left click the selection, second click again on the destination, move he cursor to paste, make sure its set to paste, press left click.....MAN......

just click once and move. simple as that lot faster, thanks apple for obligating me to get used to this.

Agree. Cmd+ drag & drop is the way to go.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.

That sounds like a major pain in the balls.

TotalFinder is far superior. You get your choice of contextual menus to cut and paste, or use the keyboard commands to cut and paste; cmd+x to cut, and cmd+v to paste (essentially move).

On top of having REAL cut/paste functionality, TotalFinder gives you this;

thumb-showcase-dual-mode.png

1) Adds tabbed finder windows
2) Splits the window to compare two folders
3) Adds this to the default Finder, thereby not replacing it, but improving it.

Theres a lot that Apple does right, but there are a few things that apple fails miserably at;

1) Mouses (theyve always sucked)
2) Removal of proper Expose in OS X 10.7 and 10.8
3) The green button to maximize windows (doesnt actually maximize)
4) The finder

----------

See my previous comment above.

You won't regret TotalFinder, its what The Finder should have been by now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.