Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Matter of preference.

Some wrap theirs in enough rubber and leather that would protect it thro a nuclear winter and some go 'naked' as to appreciate its clean cuts and feel.

You don't have the issue of the death grip as with the iPhone 4 so no need for any type of bumper.

You could wrap it up in a plastic shield. I don't like them for a variety of reasons.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
I use a bumper because I wanted to preserve the slick, sexy lines of the phone. Why ugly it up with a case?

In the end the decision to go with, or without, a case is a personal one.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Another alternative is to use a slip case to protect the phone when not in use, and allow the phone to be naked when in use.

I use a Sena UltraSlim Leather case. It fits the phone very snugly, adding zero bulk and protecting the phone from scratches and very minor bumps. It's velvet lined, does not deposit lint in the open port, and does not collect crud inside that can scratch the phone when slid in and out of the case.

I've been using one for about a year - and my phone is pristine:D.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
It's a personal preference but I just use a bumper. There's a ton of good looking ones out there. I have a Graft leverage case from graftdesigns.com and love it

penfan82

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
I have used a case on every phone I've ever owned including the old feature phones I'm prone to dropping the, so it works for me just ordered a 4s last night case is in the Verizon bag waiting

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
You really need a case, you would regret it if you drop the iPhone by a accident.

Hamiltonian

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
I had an iPod touch for a few years, but it got lots of scratches and a crack in the corner of the screen. Not letting that happen to my iPhone.

I have the awesome SwitchEasy TRIM case. The best value in cases - full protection for only $20.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Do you need a case for an iPhone 4S?
Definitely, in my opinion.

The phone is almost completely encased in glass. If you don't have insurance, you'd be taking a huge risk not having a protective case of some sort.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
Another alternative is to use a slip case to protect the phone when not in use, and allow the phone to be naked when in use.

I use a Sena UltraSlim Leather case. It fits the phone very snugly, adding zero bulk and protecting the phone from scratches and very minor bumps. It's velvet lined, does not deposit lint in the open port, and does not collect crud inside that can scratch the phone when slid in and out of the case.

Just checked these out. This is Perfect for me. I prefer naked. But use Clear Coat full body shield. Hate it cause it makes the white less bright. But was afraid even alone in a front pocket the phone get scuffed. The slim pouch is great for the pocket and looks very classy. Yet I go naked. Think I'll go with one of these:

Attachments

• white.jpg
    white.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 118
  • whitered.jpg
    whitered.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 119
  • red.jpg
    red.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 103
  • green.jpg
    green.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 133
  • navyblue.jpg
    navyblue.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
I definitely use a case. The main reason being that I find the phone to be a little slippery and I'm sure I would drop it if I didn't use a case.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Just checked these out. This is Perfect for me. I prefer naked. But use Clear Coat full body shield. Hate it cause it makes the white less bright. But was afraid even alone in a front pocket the phone get scuffed. The slim pouch is great for the pocket and looks very classy. Yet I go naked. Think I'll go with one of these:

Good choice!!:D

One caveat: When you first get the case it will be VERY TIGHT on the phone. After a few days of use, like all leather, it will stretch some and be easier to get on and off.

Suggestion on how to remove phone from case: Grip the phone in the palm of one hand with thumb and fingers wrapped around phone. With thumb of other hand, push up on the bottom of the case which will cause the phone to slide upward out of the case., exposing an inch or two of phone out of the top of the case. Then grip the phone protruding from the top by the edges and slide out of the case. (Some people say to pinch the bottom of the case to force the phone upward, but I find pushing the bottom with your thumb works best.)

Don't let the tight fit deter you, the case will loosen up and you will love it - scratch protection with zero bulk, and it looks cool as hell.:cool::D

Lioncrazz

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2009
I have a Lifeproof case on my phone because I enjoy the feeling of not having to worry about my phone. Too many things can happen to it without even being reckless. Sweat or moisture could trip off the water sensor (I've had that happen to a prior gen iPhone) and dust and debris could cause the charging port to go bad (just had that happen to my 4 before I upgraded to the 4s). I've never cracked my iPhone but my case protects me in so many other ways. Even though I've had best buy insurance on my phone for the two incidents mentioned above, I still have to send my phone in to get fixed by the geek squad so I was without my iPhone for 4-7 days each time. And since I use my iPhone for everything (work, finances, entertainment), that was a long time.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
I decided on a mophie juice pack plus. Yes it adds bulk to the phone but it's a hard rubber case so if I drop the phone it'll be protected. Also, it gives my phone extra battery life, which I need desperately because I'm basically on it all day & night long.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA

Good choice!!:D

One caveat: When you first get the case it will be VERY TIGHT on the phone. After a few days of use, like all leather, it will stretch some and be easier to get on and off.

Suggestion on how to remove phone from case: Grip the phone in the palm of one hand with thumb and fingers wrapped around phone. With thumb of other hand, push up on the bottom of the case which will cause the phone to slide upward out of the case., exposing an inch or two of phone out of the top of the case. Then grip the phone protruding from the top by the edges and slide out of the case. (Some people say to pinch the bottom of the case to force the phone upward, but I find pushing the bottom with your thumb works best.)

Don't let the tight fit deter you, the case will loosen up and you will love it - scratch protection with zero bulk, and it looks cool as hell.:cool::D

QUESTION IS: which color and the stitching on the sides or not

echo2011

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
Incipio NGB case, I've always used a case, not the armored tank type, but the lighter weight ones, along with a quality screen protector. The phones an expensive investment so I want to keep it as pristine as I can without adding to much bulk and/or ugliness.

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
This is totally subjective. It depends how careful/careless you are with it.

Personally, I like something on it because it's a little too slippery and I don't want to drop it.

Depending on my mood, I use either Apple bumper, inCase snap case or Speck candyshell (new satin version is my favorite of these)

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
For the price of some of these cases out there, I could replace the glass. I will take the risk, I like to live on the edge.

Definitely, in my opinion.

The phone is almost completely encased in glass. If you don't have insurance, you'd be taking a huge risk not having a protective case of some sort.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.