Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
I was trying to download find my iPhone in the app store in case my iPhone is ever lost.

This is a free app, but it asks for credit card info. I didn't want to give my info for:
1. my credit card getting hacked.
2. I am getting a free app. Sure, I'll give it to Apple, if I decide to buy something.
3. Apple rep told me they don't use/store any info. If Apple don't use any info, why should I give?

Either I have misunderstood, or everyone decided to give in?

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
I was trying to download find my iPhone in the app store in case my iPhone is ever lost.

This is a free app, but it asks for credit card info. I didn't want to give my info for:
2. I am getting a free app. Sure, I'll give it to Apple, if I decide to buy something.
3. Apple rep told me they don't use/store any info. If Apple don't use any info, why should I give?

You need a debit or credit card on your Apple ID account to download anything free or paid. Simple as that.

Invincibilizer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Just create an AppleID account without putting in credit card information.

Then proceed to download the free app.

It will ask you to put in AppleID info but it won't charge you as there is no creditcard connected to the account and zero balance.

jgalan14

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Is just does for some weird reason. I had my credit card with the, for over 5 years nothing has happened so your safe don't worry. Maybe just making sure your an adult lol

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
Just create an AppleID account without putting in credit card information.

Then proceed to download the free app.

It will ask you to put in AppleID info but it won't charge you as there is no creditcard connected to the account and zero balance.

I doesn't work on my iPhone, after I sign into App Store, this pops up,
"Before you can make purchases, you must tap Continue to sign in, then verify your payment info."

I click Continue, sign in again, then back to the "Find My iPhone" info page.

Almy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
You can also use a gift card instead of a credit card to set up an iTunes account.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
I doesn't work on my iPhone, after I sign into App Store, this pops up,
"Before you can make purchases, you must tap Continue to sign in, then verify your payment info."

I click Continue, sign in again, then back to the "Find My iPhone" info page.

Just use an iTunes card and you can bypass the credit or debit info...

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Credit Card not required.

From iOS device
img0022b.png

From iTunes
screenshot20111203at551.png

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
To echo what the poster above says, you don't HAVE to put your CC info in. You can put "none". I have done this. You can still "purchase" free apps. The act of purchasing authorizes the apps to be downloaded and installed into your iPhone. During Black Friday, BestBuy had a iTunes GC sale (sorta, $100 for $80) so I purchased two and put that in my account and removed my CC. That should last me a while.

LithePanther

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011

Paranoid much...?

If they were stealing your information, someone would have realized by now, and a huge company such as Apple could never weather the kind of PR *****torm that would cause

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Paranoid much...?

If they were stealing your information, someone would have realized by now, and a huge company such as Apple could never weather the kind of PR *****torm that would cause

AND, you have an expensive iPhone, with a pricey monthly service plan but no intentions of EVER purchasing an app?

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Why do you need my info? It is a free app.

To keep you safe. Apple takes your personal information, prints it out, then shreds it to keep you safe. It's a time consuming, and expensive official procedure. But Apple does it all for us. It helps me sleep better at night.

Reactions: gnasher729

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
AND, you have an expensive iPhone, with a pricey monthly service plan but no intentions of EVER purchasing an app?

Kinda like fitting a nice new 50" plasma TV with a coat hangar antenna.

Having an iPhone but no CC rhymes with Pinocchio's dad.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
Credit Card not required.

From iOS device
img0022b.png

From iTunes

Thanks for the pic. I couldn't find "Account" on my iPhone, are both images from your iPhone or Mac.
I can download stuff from iTunes just fine.

By the way, my iPhone bluetooth doesn't connect with Macbook bluetooth. I was going to upload a screenshot.

Salviablue

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2012
POINT 1:

first off, buying an expensive piece of equipment, with an expensive data plan, then being expected to have to buy apps is rediculous. One is more likely to expect that when making a huge initial/maintenance outlay, that that is that, bar upgrades. However you can't really class buying apps as upgrade, because that is what the device was designed for, running apps, being multi functional.

One does not need a cc/dc to buy the device in the first place, or for data plans/Internet connections, nor indeed does one even need a bank account (although it's difficult to a provider that will allow payments via postal/money or on line payment accounts like PayPal or alertpay. Before anyone points out you need a cc/dc to use PayPal etc., you only need one to initially open up the account, after that you can remove the card and still use the account - charge it up with the likes of eBay sales, spend from there).

Ones Internet connection maybe bundled with their mobile or landline bill, which cabe payed with cash every month (tether the iPad/iDevice to the mobile, wifi to the landline).

What it is like, is buying an expensive wifi router, paying for an expensive Internet connection, then having to pay for each time you want to download/browse different types of data/connections.

I want to use google .........thats free, but we need your cc/dc details
I want to look at https .............£1.99 please
I want to look at a YouTube vid ....£0.99 please
I want to use FTP...............£2.99 please
I want to download a free PDF.....£3.99 please
I want to acces my email.......£1.99 please

Would you consider that reasonable, just to make use of what your Internet connection was designed for? Paying for extra services, or app support is expected,, but do you really buy these devices expecting to sheep out more just for apps/fulfil its intended potential?

POINT 2:

There is no PayPal option the choose funding method, nor is there a 'none' option in the card selection.

POINT 3:

Why shouldn't I be allowed to re-download an app I have already paid for if my cc/dc on file is declined for whatever reason. Having free access to apps already paid for is part of the sales package. By removing this option, it's like selling you a car, then after you paid for it, and they have your money, they then take the wheels off because there is no money in your bank?!?

Almy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
You don't ever have to enter a credit card or a debit card, not even when creating your account. Just get a gift card.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

You have misunderstood.

How is the 'Find my iPhone' app going to help you find your phone if you don't have physical access to your phone? :mind-blown:

Activate 'Find my iPhone' in settings.app -> iCloud
Then use http://www.icloud.com to find your phone's whereabouts.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
POINT 1:

first off, buying an expensive piece of equipment, with an expensive data plan, then being expected to have to buy apps is rediculous. One is more likely to expect that when making a huge initial/maintenance outlay, that that is that, bar upgrades. However you can't really class buying apps as upgrade, because that is what the device was designed for, running apps, being multi functional.

Plenty of things I could use to show you why you're wrong. Buying an Xbox, paying for an expensive data plan (home broadband) and then having to buy games for it as well? Oh the humanity!

mattkowalski

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2010
POINT 1:

Wow - your argument has made me realise that I shouldn't have been paying for software/games for my PC/games consoles over the years! I've been cheated! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.