Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charcoalwerks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Maryland
Does anyone know why I can't erase the music off my iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0.1 using iTunes anymore? I unchecked "sync music" and it gives me the warning, I check "okay" the content looks like it disappears from the "capacity bar" then I check "apply" and the bar goes back up and the content is still on the phone even with "sync music" unchecked. "Manually manage music" is also checked. I've tried everything. Is this a bug?

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
All you need to do:

If you only want individual songs erased Swipe each song on the right to the left and "delete" button appears.

If you want a certain artist and all their music gone go to artists and left swipe each artist.

If you want only certain albums go to albums and left swipe the albums you want gone.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Go to settings>general>useage>music and swipe to delete.

Charcoalwerks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Maryland
Go to iTunes and under your device music library and press Command-A to select all music. Press Delete.

It won't delete all the music off of the phone. It seems that once music goes on the phone now, it has to be manually deleted off the phone. You can't delete it through iTunes or something.

Charcoalwerks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Maryland
When I uncheck sync music the capacity bar goes down....

okdia.jpg

when I hit "apply" it goes right back up even after a sync.

20atg6s.jpg

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
Well I can delete them manually from iTunes. Have you thought about stating from fresh and setup your phone as new? Last resort.

Charcoalwerks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2011
Maryland
Thanks for trying to help. I really just wanted to delete couple bands. I deleted them from the iTunes library but they stayed on the phone. I resorted to deleting them on the handset. I think it sucks that now I have to delete things twice. Hopefully Apple will fix this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.