Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up that dvdfab has released their first version for Mac. (They have had a beta for the last couple of months.)

The blu/dvd decryptor function is always free, the full suite is free to try for 30 days I think before you need to purchase a subscription.

For people who don't know this program, it is a DVD/bluray backup and ripper/converter, and has very frequent updates as new protections are developed by the movie studios. It was my go-to solution when other programs didn't work, when I used windows.

http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
I'm a bit confused. Can't most of DVDfab's functionality be accomplished with nothing more than MakeMKV (rip) and Handbrake (re-encode)? And MPEGStreamClip for the "fancy" file conversions?

Sell me on DVDfab. I'm thrilled to spend money on software if it provides a benefit (i.e. ease-of-use, unique functionality).

Thanks!

Nathan

Kceb83

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2011
Agred

I'm a bit confused. Can't most of DVDfab's functionality be accomplished with nothing more than MakeMKV (rip) and Handbrake (re-encode)? And MPEGStreamClip for the "fancy" file conversions?

Sell me on DVDfab. I'm thrilled to spend money on software if it provides a benefit (i.e. ease-of-use, unique functionality).

Thanks!

Nathan

I agree with the above. I would love to hear what the difference is between DVDfab and MakeMKV/Handbrake. Can DVDfab re-encode mkv files to apple tv2 format just like Handbrake. I looked on their website and they have a ton of different options. I am assuming th edvd and blu ray ripper packages would act like MakeMKV and the video converter would encode like Handbrake? Anyone who has made the purchase and wants to compare would be greatly appreciated :)

ashman70

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2010
MakeMKV is a simple tool to convert a DVD into MKV format, very simple, no frills. I found handbrake to be very cumbersome and awkward to use, but that was a long time ago, I moved on to other tools. DVDFab have a bunch of tools you can buy, a la carte if you will, or you can buy a bundle. I use the video converter to do two things, resample 1080p rips by lowering the bit rate and yielding a smaller file that still looks fantastic on my 42", I also use the dvdrip tool to rip dvd's then run them through the video converter, both times I end up with an MKV file for my collection. The interface is very easy to use, drag and drop and your done. You might be able to achieve the same thing with handbrake, I know a lot of people rave about it and it free, but these tools work great for me.

pitt1717

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
This is awesome news. It was the only reason i keep windows around. this should be front page news!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.