Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
How about a Mac Pro with a 3U or 4U capable enclosure and can be used in a tower position. Get rid of the 4 disk drive bays and make it available with just 2 bays. Other drive expansion can be done via thunderbolt. 8 RAM slots, USB 3.0, Bluetooth 4.0, a very good desktop graphics card and dead silent.

jspence444

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I had a feeling they weren't going to kill the Mac Pro. At least not without replacing it with a similar product geared toward the professional market. It just didnt make sense. Time to upgrade my Mac Pro 1,1

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Anybody think there'll be visual differences?

Internally, possibly. But unless someone or group within Apple has been pushing for a redesign but is only now able to do so after being blocked by Jobs, I don't see a redesign this generation or even next. Seems the MacPro's design has been cemented for a while and Apple would rather spend resources on redesigning the consumer products. MacPros are for pros, and most pros are not going to care or base a purchasing decision on a redesign, unless it's a complete overhaul that adds benefits not available with the current model.

The only way I see a redesign coming in the near future is if they redesigned it to be both freestanding and easily rack mountable, to help replace the XServes. Other than that, I expect to see a bump in specs and thunderbolt added, and not much else.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Just admit you are wrong. Not too hard, eh? :rolleyes:

Why? No one's proven anyone wrong yet. Look at what Apple did to FCPX. So much for the traditional "Pro" market.

We don't actually know when Mac Pros will hit final production, what will happen when they will, or it might never happen and the line will get a serious redesign or whole re-thinking. But you can bet all your Apple gear that Mac Pros are way down the priority list for Apple. The line doesn't mean half as much as it used to, primarily because the market has changed.

Prosumers are the big market now.

Last edited:

Spencer Reynen

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
This is a good sign and gives us Pro users more hope in Apple not only marketing products for the average consumer as some have believed as recent rumors have come about. :)

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Anybody think there'll be visual differences?

Yes. As the article speculates, they'll basically be a souped up mini. Probably taller. Think the cube. No space for anything but an upgradeable graphics card and maybe an extra drive. I'm guessing 2 or 3 TB ports, usb 2 ports, and of course FW800. Double or triple height mac mini. Would actually make sense. They could release 3 sizes. The mini, the mac, and the mac pro.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
I have a newfound interest in desktop-class GPU drivers, even though I’ll likely never buy a Mac Pro: I want a Thunderbolt expansion chassis (as some companies have announced) to house a destkop-class GPU for my Air! (I assume it won't support cards other than the ones Apple has their own drivers for: the ones for the Pro.) Then I can have just ONE computer for all purposes.

That's a great idea that's been flung around quite a bit, but unfortunately Thunderbolt isn't fast enough. A graphics card requires a 16 lane PCI Express slot, which is 8 GB/s. Thunderbolt is just 1.25GB/s per channel, nowhere near fast enough for a graphics card, unfortunately. Otherwise, a GPU in an external box would be awesome.

Last edited:

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
I'm thinking about buying a Mac Pro, I just wondering energy wise how much energy it uses and how long do mac pros last? :apple:

I've got a Mac Pro 1,1 (late 2006) and it's still going great, I've upgraded it with a ATI 5770 and a SSD. Incredible machine though, gives anything a run for it's money even now. It's not missed a beat, though the PSU is on its way out. Not bad for 5 years without a rest, however.

This one uses between ~150 and ~400 watts depending on what's going on. The newer ones generally use less power, though it depends on the HDD/CPU/GPU config.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Explain to me why the iMac NEEDS a redesign. The current design is still beautiful.

Nothing needs a redesign, but they need new internals that provide higher yields on power efficiency, expandability [Mac Pro/iMac] and possibly different interfaces, but the actual external cases are already industry leading, from top to bottom.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
We don't actually know when Mac Pros will hit final production, what will happen when they will, or it might never happen and the line will get a serious redesign or whole re-thinking. But you can bet all your Apple gear that Mac Pros are way down the priority list for Apple. The line doesn't can half as much as it used to, primarily because the market has changed.

The only thing that's for certain *LTD* is that you'll be banging the fanboi drum and proclaiming that Apple were absolutely correct, whatever happens.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

This update was a foregone conclusion, but further updates for the Mac pro line are very unclear. While there certainly are a lot of niche markets for the Mac Pro, most could probably get by with an iMac. However there is still one market that is very important market for Apple where Mac pros are crucial, the management of large numbers of macs and iDevices in education and enterprise markets.

However the "appification" of Lion Server offers another interesting possibility, namely that Apple ports the server services necessary to support and manage macs/iDevices(namely OpenDirectory, AFP, the iPhone/iPad tools and maybe the windows services) to another platform. This would allow Apple to drop the Mac pro while allowing there enterprise customers to host critical services on more rackable hardware, all without opening up the whole clone can of worms. For small businesses they will continue to develop the whole suite of server services designed to run on minis or iMacs.

I guess we will have to wait until at least WWDC 2012 to see if the new pro is the last one, maybe even WWDC 2013...

mayhone1

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Wisconsin
I've got a Mac Pro 1,1 (late 2006) and it's still going great, I've upgraded it with a ATI 5770 and a SSD. Incredible machine though, gives anything a run for it's money even now. It's not missed a beat, though the PSU is on its way out. Not bad for 5 years without a rest, however.

This one uses between ~150 and ~400 watts depending on what's going on. The newer ones generally use less power, though it depends on the HDD/CPU/GPU config.

That's about six years, pretty good considering I usually upgrade my iMac every 2-3 years but I'm kinda sick of that trend. Any displays worth noting that are cheaper than the current apple model?

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
The only thing that's for certain *LTD* is that you'll be banging the fanboi drum and proclaiming that Apple were absolutely correct, whatever happens.

About $80 billion in cash on hand and a successful vertical business model in a sea of low-margin volume-peddlers says they've been absolutely right so far. Apple has been the only one going against conventional business thinking for years while profiting obscenely the entire time.

ecphot

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
That's about six years, pretty good considering I usually upgrade my iMac every 2-3 years but I'm kinda sick of that trend. Any displays worth noting that are cheaper than the current apple model?

the are so many displays better than anything that Apple sells - which in the past have used the same components as Dell displays- which aren't bad but cost much less.

NEC makes by far the best value color accurate displays. And nothing they make is glossy. I use their Multisync models.

Mac Pros are great - they can last forever with added RAM, HD/SSD's and graphics cards. Much better investment that an iMac.

Aug 26, 2008
About $80 billion in cash on hand and a successful vertical business model in a sea of low-margin volume-peddlers says they've been absolutely right so far. Apple has been the only one going against conventional business thinking for years while profiting obscenely the entire time.

Microsoft profits obscenely...what exactly are you talking about? Apple makes their money via targeting a very small portion of the market and charging a gross premium on what they offer. They sell a tiny share of the total phones in the market and have most of the profits. Can you not put 2 and 2 together and realize they are making massive margins on a relatively small number of people?

There are tons of successful companies in the tech industry. You talk as if Apple is the only one doing well, while the rest of the industry is a wasteland. That is far from the reality however.

Kimmo

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
the are so many displays better than anything that Apple sells - which in the past have used the same components as Dell displays- which aren't bad but cost much less.

NEC makes by far the best value color accurate displays. And nothing they make is glossy. I use their Multisync models.

Mac Pros are great - they can last forever with added RAM, HD/SSD's and graphics cards. Much better investment that an iMac.

I'll second the Mac Pro/NEC Multisync combo; berry, berry nice.

mayhone1

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Wisconsin
I'll second the Mac Pro/NEC Multisync combo; berry, berry nice.

Does any of these offer webcams, if not what are the best external webcams for a cheap price, I used to my iMacs quality web cam so I'm a bit worried I am going to end up with a webcam like my last one, which was in the 90's lol chopping to say the least.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Microsoft profits obscenely...what exactly are you talking about? Apple makes their money via targeting a very small portion of the market and charging a gross premium on what they offer. They sell a tiny share of the total phones in the market and have most of the profits. Can you not put 2 and 2 together and realize they are making massive margins on a relatively small number of people?

Apple commands close to 30% of the US smartphone market. iOS is by far the dominant mobile OS (compared to Android.) Android is nowhere in the tablet segment, which is dominated by Apple.

There is nothing "niche" about this.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/245364/ios_devices_stretch_market_lead_over_android.html

iOS Devices Stretch Market Lead Over Android
By Ben Camm-Jones, Macworld-U.K. Dec 4, 2011 10:31 am

iOS grew its share of the global mobile operating system market to 24.2 percent in November, further stretching its advantage over Android.

Figures from Global Statcounter put iOS on 24.21 percent for November, up from 23.48 percent in October and ahead of Android's 21.9 percent share, slightly down on October's figure of 22.11 percent.

smartphone-app-marketshare1.png

6a0120a5580826970c015392cdbf6c970b-pi

Canaccord_tablet_estimates.png

And what are we talking about here? We're talking about a closed, controlled, highly-vetted ecosystem that is built around an unlicensed OS, which in the smartphone space alone, exists on at most two devices.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
They sell a tiny share of the total phones in the market and have most of the profits.

Aren't the two best selling smartphones in the world iPhones?

And now the iPhone 4S is the second most popular camera on flickr, meaning it will soon be in the top selling smartphones in the world.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Aren't the two best selling smartphones in the world iPhones?

And now the iPhone 4S is the second most popular camera on flickr, meaning it will soon be in the top selling smartphones in the world.

Even the 3GS has outsold most newer Android models.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/npd_iphone_3gs_outsold_every_android_smartphone_in_q3/

NPD: iPhone 3GS Outsold Every Android Smartphone in Q3
Nov. 15th ET, 2011

Apple’s iPhone 4 was the top selling phone in the world for its entire reign at the top of Apple’s iPhone product line, but according to market research firm NPD, even Apple’s iPhone 3GS outsold every Android smartphone on the market.

In a release, the company said that the top five phones of the third quarter, which ended in September, were:

Apple iPhone 4
Apple iPhone 3GS
HTC EVO 4G
Motorola Droid 3
Samsung Intensity II

huntson

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005
They can still produce them without them being their main priority. Apparently they still see the line as being able to generate a profit.

The point of the thread about a month ago regarding the possible discontinuation of the line was that it wouldn't be particularly surprising (and certainly understandable) if that was to occur.

same with old fcp - guess not?

----------

seems like apple has alot to do in 2012, its like every product line is due for a redesign / big update

mac pro -> obviously
iphone 5 -> obviously
Imac -> Needs redesign
Macbook Pro -> Needs redesign
Macbook Air -> ???
Ipad 3 -> seems like its due for a substantial update

macpro = not obvious

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL
Sandy Bridge E5 based?

Aren't Ivy Bridge E3's due in the Q2 2012?

Are they going to offer a single-processor E3 and a dual-processor E5?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.