Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which web browser do you use?

• Safari

Votes: 177 47.6%
  • Chrome

Votes: 131 35.2%
  • FireFox

Votes: 79 21.2%
  • Combination of the above

Votes: 32 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 10 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlimes13

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Perrysburg, OH
Safari. If it works, no need to have any other. In Windows I use IE, just because it's there. One less third-party program I need.

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
I've tried chrome, and yes it does render more quickly, but the gesture integration with safari trumps the extra second or milliseconds I may lose. I use safari.

ThomasBoss

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
I use Firefox. No reason really, I use it because it doesn't give me any problems and I like WOB & ADP (not sure if they come on other browsers)

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Chrome... Google has it optimized to run fast on all platforms.

Now with all the great new extensions and free apps, it's accelerated my workflow and enjoyment of working on the web.

I have it on my Macs and PC's. Far and away the best of the four I have installed on all machines.

Opera is also very fast, a close second. Trailing also rans are Firefox and Safari.

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I've tried chrome, and yes it does render more quickly, but the gesture integration with safari trumps the extra second or milliseconds I may lose. I use safari.

The support for gestures and full screen mode are now in Chrome and have been for a month or two.

---

I use Chrome, Safari, and IE sometimes because I have to, for ActiveX plugins. Mostly for security systems.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2010
Safari because:

• I like using Apple software with Apple products.
    [*]Reader
  • Too lazy to install and learn Chrome/Firefox.

I do have Windows Bootcamp installed, but that's to play games *cough*DC Universe*cough* :D

I use Firefox on Windows, but I'm kinda itching to try out Chrome. Should I?

troublesolstice

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
90%+ safari, so i voted for it.
other >10% is chrome. only use it on 2-3 sites that work better with it.
safari is king on lion :)

phySi0

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
You don't want to know!
Safari with ClickToPlugin - most Apple-like (obviously) and so pleasant to use.

Firefox with StumbleUpon toolbar and FlashBlock - have certain plugins and also launches faster than Safari with plugins. I only had 10 plugins in Safari and probably 30 max. (used to be a plugin junkie on Windows) in Firefox and it still launched faster.

Safari was so fast on SL, even better when it didn't support plugins, but since then, Firefox has always launched faster for me. Ironically, I use it more nowadays. I just like the gestures.

Lynx - when I'm somewhere with a slow connection and only need text.

Chrome, RockMelt, Raven, Opera and Omniweb are all installed, but I never use them. I may have uninstalled Omniweb though, I'm not sure.

Bloodstar

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Safari, Opera, Firefox, Chrome in order from most to least used.

Safari is my primary browser. Safari 5 is pretty nice with gestures and such... though I've always liked it on OS X, even on my old MDD running Leopard. (Wouldn't dare touch it on Windows, though.)

Opera is my "secondary" browser. I prefer to keep another browser open if I need another window instead of a second browser window - this allows me to switch to it with Cmd-Tab. I know of Cmd-`, but I personally feel as if I keep better track of things with a second browser. (This is also my primary browser on VMs, and my second browser of choice on Windows machines.)

Firefox I primarily use for testing things, and college-related items. (It uses a Gmail-based system, and I'd rather not have to log in and out of my primary email. It's also the "second browser window" thing I refer to, as well.) Aside from that, eh... I just find Safari more useful. (But should I be on a Windows machine, Firefox is always my first choice.)

Chrome gets use only when I need Flash - I do not have it installed otherwise, and do not plan to install it otherwise. I've only needed Flash a couple of times, thanks to MacTubes. (So glad that's Universal... PPC machines benefit from it hugely, and it lets me ignore Flash mostly.) Shame there's nothing like it for watching Livestream/Ustream/Justin.tv streams... and, of course, there's the occasional other Flash applet that there's no substitute for or Flash animation you want to watch. (On a Linux machine, I tend to pick Chrome/Chromium as my main browser. I used to use Midori, but it was just too crashy.)

I'll also use Elinks on a slow connection where graphics are best ignored. Of course, this situation really only ever crops up on the rare occasion I have to use a 56k connection, and in such a case I'm trapped on the old iBook. (For normal browsing on G4/G5 machines, now, I use TenFourFox and Camino.)

...Boy, I really overthought this, didn't I?

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I use Chrome, but I might switch back to Safari soon, it feels more integrated and smooth (well obviously if it's made for Macs lol).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I use safari on my Mac, and firefox for the peecee when I'm at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.