Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spiderrob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
There is numerous threads on this but no answer that I can see.

I have an Atv2 hardwired to an extreme router which in turn is hardwired to my 2011 iMac. All cat6 cable and running latest software on all. When my iMac goes to sleep I would like the Atv2 to wake it to use Homesharing on iTunes. Wake on LAN is checked, Homesharing is on but it does not work. As soon as the atv is turned on it clearly sends a wol command because I can see my USB card reader on the iMac light up BUT Homesharing is not there. I have to physically wake the the iMac by pressing a key and then all is fine. The comments seem to suggest that this is due to the new low power wake on LAN on lion that only shares folders etc. I can't believe Apple would not allow Homesharing to function - it kind of defeats the object of it????

Has anyone got this working?? If so, how? Thanks

Spiderrob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Is this really working for everyone then or do you leave your iTunes server on 24/7?

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
You are leaving iTunes running, right? You have to leave iTunes running all the time. I have :apple:Tv2 and I am able to wol to my 2011 Mac Mini running OS X Lion. When in apple tv when I go to computers and the Mini is asleep I sometimes it will tell me no computers, but if I give about 10 or 15 seconds and try again it has always connected. My Apple Tv is connected to my network wirelessly and my Mac is hard wired and it still works.

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Works fine for me with an ATV1 / 10.7 iMac.

I can also wake the iMac with the iOS Remote app, or Home Sharing from an iOS device.

Not sure why your setup isn't working, but it's definitely not because Home Sharing doesn't wake Lion.

[edit] Have you tried the usual tedious stuff like logging out of home sharing on all systems then re-signing in?

Spiderrob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Thanks for the replies. Yes I always have iTunes running but interestingly enough I seem to now have it working!?

The only thing I can see that is now different is that my iTunes now only has Home Sharing showing under the 'Shared' action in iTunes. Previously I also had my 'Windows Home Server' showing as well. - Not sure if this caused some sort of conflict??

Fingers crossed it keeps working!

Branny

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
I have this exact same problem. My MacBook (2007 Blackbook) will not wake for anything. I have an ATV2 and an iPad 2 and both of them cannot wake it.

It's also really frustrating when trying to use splashtop receiver to screen share my mac.

I am also using an airport extreme and I've checked all the usual tick boxes etc...

It's really weird and frustrating. :mad:

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I have this exact same problem. My MacBook (2007 Blackbook) will not wake for anything. I have an ATV2 and an iPad 2 and both of them cannot wake it.

It's also really frustrating when trying to use splashtop receiver to screen share my mac.

I am also using an airport extreme and I've checked all the usual tick boxes etc...

It's really weird and frustrating. :mad:

Are you trying to wake over WiFi on that MacBook? Older Macs didn't support Wake over WiFi, only WOL. No Macs support Wake over WiFi without the use of an AEBS as the WiFi router.

Branny

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
I have all the necessary kit then except the MacBook then?! Typical. I'll have to upgrade in the near future then.

Any ideas as to why it's not supported? Chipset too old?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.