Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dave22r

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Middle of nowhere, MO
wasn't sure what forum to put this in... the problem is on my iPhone so i stuck it here.

just got an apple tv 2 hooked up. airplay works on my iPad 1, iPod touch 4th gen, wife's 4S, and about any other iDevice i could find around the house.

double clicked my 4S, slid the bar all the way over and it's just a volume button. no airplay. what the eff??

reset my phone, no dice. that's about the only solution i could find after quite a search. since it works on my wife's exact same phone i'm guessing everything else is in working order. any ideas?

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Wirelessly posted (IPod Touch 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Try closing apps to free memory. (resetting should have done the trick though)

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
It has happened to me but one reset is usually enough to solve it.
Maybe you can try re-starting the Apple TV (unplug-plug).

dave22r

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Middle of nowhere, MO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Unplugged and plugged. Nope! I think it's a problem wit my phone. Like I said, it works with all the other devices I have. Maybe I messed with a setting or something.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Looking at Apple Support....

Verify wifi is on...

Verify ATV and device on same wifi network...

Verify enabled on ATV...

Check all Internet connections....

Disable firewalls...

That's really all they list.

dave22r

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Middle of nowhere, MO
Looking at Apple Support....

Verify wifi is on...

Verify ATV and device on same wifi network...

Verify enabled on ATV...

Check all Internet connections....

Disable firewalls...

That's really all they list.

yeah, i read that page too :)
i need the page on 'make airplay button appear on iPhone'

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Are you using an Airport device for your home Wi-fi? If yes, then check to see if there are any firmware updates available and install them.

Before the update a couple of weeks ago, AirPlay, AirPrint, and Time Machine were basically completely broken. After the updates, everything has been functioning perfectly without a single issue.

dave22r

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Middle of nowhere, MO
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yup, updated the airport extreme about a week or so ago. And yes, I'm on the same band as all the other devices that connect to the atv as well as the atv itself.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
You said there are many devices connecting to the :apple:TV. Couldn't it be the reason? Maybe :apple:TV has a maximum limit of devices that it can handle?
(I'm just speculating here, I tried to google it but I haven't find any evidence that such limit exists or not).
Another suggestion is to try restoring your iPhone overnight, in case there's something faulty from your last iOS upgrade.

mastercheif91

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I've had this bug on my 4 with iOS 4 but not since I got my 4s. I used to change the language to french and then it would pop up in the music app. Then change it back to english. I don't know why it works (seems to reload springboard) but it worked for me.

dave22r

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Middle of nowhere, MO
I've had this bug on my 4 with iOS 4 but not since I got my 4s. I used to change the language to french and then it would pop up in the music app. Then change it back to english. I don't know why it works (seems to reload springboard) but it worked for me.

learned a few languages, i saw the springboard reset you were talking about, no airplay yet...

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Before the update a couple of weeks ago, AirPlay, AirPrint, and Time Machine were basically completely broken. After the updates, everything has been functioning perfectly without a single issue.

That's a negative. There's still huge issues with AirPlay and 4S'. When using AirPlay to an Extreme, the 4S drops connection within about 10-20 seconds. There's a huge thread going on over at Apple's Support Community.

OP: Does YouTube give you the option to AirPlay? If not, do any apps other than Music? (Pandora or TuneIn)

The AirPlay icon only shows up when on WiFi. Have you tried resetting network settings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.