Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
I just started running and am addicted to the stats provided from one of the running apps. I dont have anything to carry the phone with so I am grasping it very tightly in my right hand as I run. This won't last. Anyone recommend something to use while running so I can continue to track my progress?

jbanger

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
ADL
don't know about a case but i have a zip pocket in the middle back of my running shorts where i can stash my phone

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
There are plenty of arm band options on amazon.. That where I picked one up. Some keep the phone enclosed to keep moisture away, others are open. The one I got is just a basically a silicon case that has two slits in the back that allow for the armband to pass through. Simple and cheap.. I'm not dedicated enough to run if it's raining so I didn't bother with an enclosed case (and I don't sweat a ton)..

What running app are you using?

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I also like to run and I've picked it up several years ago. When I'm running purely for fun, I bring my iPhone and when it's a race, i bring my small iPod mini so as to not interfere with me. I attach my iPhone in an armband on my left arm. Worried at first but it's pretty secure. Also, one thing about running with earphones is the wires. With the armband on your side, you can easily put it behind your ears since it's long enough, but anywhere else it has to go in front (usual way). This can get really annoying and distract you, I promise.

I put my keys/ID/cash inner short pocket that keeps it secure. I don't think that's big enough to hold the iPhone. Also, use a tracking system for your run, it'll be fun. I use Nike and it's fun to see that I've ran at least 1500 miles, graph showing my speed increase and also my lowest and fastest speed.

Running can be like crack. Those endorphins right after, that's the stuff.

hizzaah

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Nike+ is the one I used.. I got the little chip that goes in my shoe. Works great! It's been quite a while since I went out though :/ it freezing cold here so I kinda lost my motivation lol.

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
I personally hate arm bands because over time... it just rubs my arm raw. Unless you wear the arm band onto of your sleeves, it always is a bit uncomfortable. I have purchased the tune belt and must say I like it quite a bit. Kind of like a mini fanny pack but not as ugly. I added some hydroids to it and it works out great. I picked mine up at REI. Because it is a belt rather than a band, The only true issue is the cord but you still have an issue with that on your arm as well. To be honest, I use my iPod shuffle attached to the strap of a cap and that works best instead of lugging my phone with me.

http://www.rei.com/product/812028/tune-belt-sport-belt-iphone

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
I know I post every time I see one of these threads, but only do so because I'm so passionate about the product.

So, I'm a runner and I LOVE my ArmPocket Sport 20. (http://www.armpocket.com) It looks big on the website, but the size is deceiving. It's so comfortable (you can't tell it's there after a few minutes) and more importantly keeps my iPhone dry from sweat/moisture. I've trained and ran two marathons with it and it still works GREAT. I've tried armbands from Belkin and Incase which both left me disappointed.

I think you can pick these up now at some Best Buys.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I personally hate arm bands because over time... it just rubs my arm raw. Unless you wear the arm band onto of your sleeves, it always is a bit uncomfortable. I have purchased the tune belt and must say I like it quite a bit. Kind of like a mini fanny pack but not as ugly. I added some hydroids to it and it works out great. I picked mine up at REI. Because it is a belt rather than a band, The only true issue is the cord but you still have an issue with that on your arm as well. To be honest, I use my iPod shuffle attached to the strap of a cap and that works best instead of lugging my phone with me.

http://www.rei.com/product/812028/tune-belt-sport-belt-iphone

Tried this before and it wasn't comfortable for me. I have a 32" waist but the fit always didn't seem right and I could fix it. It drops down just above my groin area. When running, it was annoying to have that constant flapping. I could have tried other ones or a better fit, but I realized it didn't work for me. The phone was too hard to access and you always have to make sure the headphones are long enough to reach your ears and not bother you while running.

I know I post every time I see one of these threads, but only do so because I'm so passionate about the product.

So, I'm a runner and I LOVE my ArmPocket Sport 20. (http://www.armpocket.com) It looks big on the website, but the size is deceiving. It's so comfortable (you can't tell it's there after a few minutes) and more importantly keeps my iPhone dry from sweat/moisture. I've trained and ran two marathons with it and it still works GREAT. I've tried armbands from Belkin and Incase which both left me disappointed.

Yes! I actually just upgraded to this product several weeks ago. I bought it from Best Buy. I previously used one by Belkin. It's much easier to access the phone when it's on your arm. My Nike app shows me my distance, time and rev/fw music. It's really easy to just look to your arm when running and access it also.

Thomas P.

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
NewYork
I think the arm band thing is better for you, if you ca get one from amazon or ebay, that will hopefully help you. The zip pocket is also a good solution but its not that much reliable as we consider it for running position, because when you are running you will have to bring it out of pocket, that's why in my opinion the arm band stuff is good option.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
I just got an iPhone 4s and was planning on using the Sports Tracker app. I'm hesitant for arm band and zipped-waist band options because I would like to be able to look at my phone check on my run. Any good solution for that? For now it's just to monitor time but ideally I'd like to be able to run against my ghost if it's on the same path I've run before. Also, I don't like to listen to anything on earphones when I'm running outdoors so I don't need to worry about the headphones wire.

The only thing I can think of to do is to get a real heavy duty case and hold in my hand.

One more issue is that the iPhone 4s's crappy battery life make me think I might need to keep a Mophie Juice Pack Plus on during the run. So perhaps I need a case that can fit the phone with the juice pack plus on as well.

Brazzy

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
i'm way too paranoid to take my iphone with me on a run. with my luck, it would start raining on me when i'm still 5+ miles from my house.

Thomas P.

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
NewYork
There is one with the wrist band, if you can locate that, i saw it in a picture with someone, but I haven't seen that in the market, so if you can find that somewhere in physical shop, i hope you will be able to have a great remedy of your problem.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
i'm way too paranoid to take my iphone with me on a run. with my luck, it would start raining on me when i'm still 5+ miles from my house.

Well with some of the tough, durable cases I saw they are waterproof too.

There's some listed here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20016975-82/top-20-tough-iphone-4-and-4s-cases/

There is one with the wrist band, if you can locate that, i saw it in a picture with someone, but I haven't seen that in the market, so if you can find that somewhere in physical shop, i hope you will be able to have a great remedy of your problem.

A wristband solution sounds perfect. The only issue is if you're trying to switch hands during the run. I like the idea of the spibelt but the issue is that I've heard it's not that easy to get things in and out of it during the run.

cybertek

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011

I use this case as well. It works very well!

Thomas P.

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
NewYork
A wristband solution sounds perfect. The only issue is if you're trying to switch hands during the run. I like the idea of the spibelt but the issue is that I've heard it's not that easy to get things in and out of it during the run.

Well, I think if you have a brea during your run, like for example, a break after every 10-15 min then you can change, i mean this issue is not related to the running status of yours. If you are going for sprint then i guess you can change it easily, if you having a slow run then you are right, we ll need to look for an easy solution then!

OrlandoRocks

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2012
Perfect solution

I came across this thread and couldn't resist. The perfect solution is something called a flip belt. http://www.flipbelt.com. I run 5 days a week and have struggled with pockets, armbands, fanny pack, etc... The flip belt is absolutely awesome for any smartphone. Give it a try and you won't look back. Hope that helps.

lotto0901

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
i run 30+ miles per week on average for marathon and 1/2 marathon training. I've been using http://www.rei.com/product/776506/amphipod-airflow-endurance-waistpack to carry my phone, energy gels, house keys.

Personally, i cant stand arm bands as they're not comfortable for me.

if you're concerned with stats, split times, etc, most fitness apps (runkeeper, etc) should have the ability to give you audible stats (pace, time, split time).

jajanes

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
don't know about a case but i have a zip pocket in the middle back of my running shorts where i can stash my phone

Oh that's great - what kind of shorts are they and where did you find them? I've never seen a pair with a pocket in the back like that.

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013

I use the Arm Pocket to workout and light running (about 2-3 miles at a time) and love it. Fits snug and comfortable and pretty durable. Add my vote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.