Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Hi,

I know this's very basic but I'm new to Mac. Just bought Macbook Air last month so still getting used to it. I have imported a hundred or so pictures I have on Pictures folder to iPhoto. Can I delete them now? Will I lose the picture in iPhoto? Is there any reason I shouldn't delete it?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I did it on the basis that when I plug my DSLR in I import the photos right into iPhoto and they aren't stored anywhere else.

I imported my other photos off my external hardrive over a year ago and haven't touched the original folder until now when i deleted them.

Just for your own piece of mind, delete a couple of photos and make sure they remain in iPhoto. I'm sure they will :)

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Just for your own piece of mind, delete a couple of photos and make sure they remain in iPhoto. I'm sure they will :)

But will the quality be the same? Does iPhoto calibrate my photos during importing? (I didn't change any settings yet)

These photos are for work so I don't want to be sorry later.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
They will be like for like. If you're worried stick your photos on a usb stick for now as a back up.

I'm sure someone will come in this thread soon to either back up or rubbish my posts. best wait for clarification before you start deleting stuff.

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
I import to iPhoto as well and I am in the same confused boat as you are. I have started to take some of them and move them to a dedicated folder but for the ones I have not, how do you access the ones that have been imported with iPhoto? Like say for example you want to send one via email, and you are adding an attachment, where do you browse to in order to find the file if it is in iPhoto? I am afraid to delete anything that is strictly in iPhoto and not in a dedicated folder because I am not confident it will not get lost if it is not in a folder...?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I import to iPhoto as well and I am in the same confused boat as you are. I have started to take some of them and move them to a dedicated folder but for the ones I have not, how do you access the ones that have been imported with iPhoto? Like say for example you want to send one via email, and you are adding an attachment, where do you browse to in order to find the file if it is in iPhoto? I am afraid to delete anything that is strictly in iPhoto and not in a dedicated folder because I am not confident it will not get lost if it is not in a folder...?

Why are you moving photos out of iPhoto? Any reason?

You can navigate your iPhoto library through finder. (should be under media on the left)

You can email directly from iPhoto by the way.

----------

http://www.apple.com/support/iphoto/

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I am afraid to delete anything that is strictly in iPhoto and not in a dedicated folder because I am not confident it will not get lost if it is not in a folder...?

Welcome to the club. I mean the "Long time Windows user who's got used to Explorer-centric approach now confused about app-centric approach of iPhoto" club. If nobody told me I'd think photos in iPhoto pointed to original photos in the folder (like when you open photo in Photoshop) but apparently, it's not. That's why iPhoto has its own trash bin.
I think I'm sure that I can delete original photo once imported. I'm just not 100% sure.

btw, use cmd+F to find the file you want. It'll search file name, face, tag etc.

Last edited:

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
The default setting of iPhoto is to copy files that you import from their original location to the iPhoto library folder - you can then safely delete the original.

You can change the setting (in iPhoto preferences) so that iPhoto does not copy on import, but links to the original file, wherever it may be. If you have this setting enabled, if you delete the original file, you will lose it in iPhoto.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
The default setting of iPhoto is to copy files that you import from their original location to the iPhoto library folder - you can then safely delete the original.

You can change the setting (in iPhoto preferences) so that iPhoto does not copy on import, but links to the original file, wherever it may be. If you have this setting enabled, if you delete the original file, you will lose it in iPhoto.

Thank you. Now I'm 100% sure I can delete them. :happy:

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
Why are you moving photos out of iPhoto? Any reason?

You can navigate your iPhoto library through finder. (should be under media on the left)

You can email directly from iPhoto by the way.

----------

http://www.apple.com/support/iphoto/

Perhaps it is bc I am a long time windows user but another example not regarding emailing would be attaching a photo to a forum or uploading to a photo printing website. When you browse within snapfish persay, where do you browse to in order to find the photos that were imported by iPhoto?

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
You can navigate your iPhoto library through finder.
That is not a good idea. You can corrupt the iPhoto database if you are not careful.

When you import photos from a camera, iPhoto automatically adds them to the iPhoto Library. That way you can view them after the camera is disconnected. If you import from a Folder on your hard drive, or an external drive, you can choose to have them copied to the Library, or not.

If you choose NOT to have them copied, then that Folder, or the external drive must be able to be accessed by your Mac in order for you to view them in iPhoto

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
That is not a good idea. You can corrupt the iPhoto database if you are not careful.

When you import photos from a camera, iPhoto automatically adds them to the iPhoto Library. That way you can view them after the camera is disconnected. If you import from a Folder on your hard drive, or an external drive, you can choose to have them copied to the Library, or not.

If you choose NOT to have them copied, then that Folder, or the external drive must be able to be accessed by your Mac in order for you to view them in iPhoto

Just out of curiostity. how would that corrupt the database? Its like you're looking at the photos through iphoto but via finder?

----------

Perhaps it is bc I am a long time windows user but another example not regarding emailing would be attaching a photo to a forum or uploading to a photo printing website. When you browse within snapfish persay, where do you browse to in order to find the photos that were imported by iPhoto?

through to the media folder in finder. I'm not at my mac now so its hard for me to give direct instructions.

Anyone help this chap?

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
Just out of curiostity. how would that corrupt the database? Its like you're looking at the photos through iphoto but via finder?

----------

through to the media folder in finder. I'm not at my mac now so its hard for me to give direct instructions.

Anyone help this chap?

I imagine carefully browsing the finder would cause no corruption, but could certainly create confusion. iPhoto's internal folder hierarchy is not for the faint of heart. The corruption occurs when the uninitiated feel they can better manage the hierarchy and attempt changes to the folder structure. Best to just stay out of there.

How do you accomplish any sort of attachment with your photos? Simply find them in iPhoto (the app, not the folder) and drag the pics to your desktop. They are easy to find and there are no concerns with mucking around on the original. When your MMS or email (although it is built in to iPhoto) or avatar or burned DVD or whatever is completed, simply discard the desktop version of the pic.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003

When you attach something and the website pulls up the Finder browser, there is a Media section at the bottom of the left-hand sidebar - that lets you browse through your iPhoto library.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
When you attach something and the website pulls up the Finder browser, there is a Media section at the bottom of the left-hand sidebar - that lets you browse through your iPhoto library.

Well, this is one great tip. You learn something new everyday.

(that left me wonder.. It'd be perfect to have this kind of media folder on iOS..)

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010

This is great...did not know this. Now when I do not have a internet search open, say persay I have nothing open except for finder, I don't have a media section on the lower left. When I navigate to the pictures then iPhoto library, I can't view pics this way. Thoughts on this? Or am I missing something blatant?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
This is great...did not know this. Now when I do not have a internet search open, say persay I have nothing open except for finder, I don't have a media section on the lower left. When I navigate to the pictures then iPhoto library, I can't view pics this way. Thoughts on this? Or am I missing something blatant?

That is when you open iPhoto. (Stop thinking about it as Windows ;)) You use the app to handle things, not folder.

Billybaldin

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
Oregon
A few clarifications if I may

Ok so I think I am getting this stuff figured out. I just have a few things I would like to clear up.
1. So in preferences>advanced if I have "copy photos to iPhoto" checked then when photos are imported they end up being in two places. The original folder and the iPhoto library folder? Which means I am using double the space to store my photos? So can I then delete the original folders with the photos in them?
2. If I delete the original folders and need to get the pics back into folders for some reason like I lose my mind and want to go back to Windows. Is that possible?
3. I have notice that when I delete a photo in iPhoto as well as empty the iPhoto trash it does not delete the photo from the album. Is that because of the above mentioned choice to "copy" the photos? is it just deleting the photo from the iPhoto library and not the folder? if so. Then if I uncheck that option it will then delete rom the mac altogether?
Ok one last one. For now.. If I uncheck the "copy" option now with that revert all of the photos already imported into iPhoto back to their original folders or will it only affect future imports?

That is all..for now..
Thank you for the info
Bill

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Ok so I think I am getting this stuff figured out. I just have a few things I would like to clear up.
1. So in preferences>advanced if I have "copy photos to iPhoto" checked then when photos are imported they end up being in two places. The original folder and the iPhoto library folder? Which means I am using double the space to store my photos? So can I then delete the original folders with the photos in them?
2. If I delete the original folders and need to get the pics back into folders for some reason like I lose my mind and want to go back to Windows. Is that possible?
3. I have notice that when I delete a photo in iPhoto as well as empty the iPhoto trash it does not delete the photo from the album. Is that because of the above mentioned choice to "copy" the photos? is it just deleting the photo from the iPhoto library and not the folder? if so. Then if I uncheck that option it will then delete rom the mac altogether?
Ok one last one. For now.. If I uncheck the "copy" option now with that revert all of the photos already imported into iPhoto back to their original folders or will it only affect future imports?

That is all..for now..
Thank you for the info
Bill

1. By default iPhoto copies the photos into its own place. You can then delete photos from camera, memory card, etc.

2. You can easily copy photos from iPhoto. Just drag and drop.

3. "Albums" are actually more like playlists. To delete photos you have to delete from events.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.