Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splproductions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I know this question has been asked before, but all the info I see online about it is regarding an AT&T iPhone (with a SIM card).

Because I'm in college, the monthly Verizon plan is a bit pricey, and my iPod Touch has been suiting me just fine. But I'm about to be a dad to two new twins on Monday (boy and girl :D), and am betting I'll want a nice camera and video recorder (nicer than the iPod Touch garbage) on me at all times to capture some priceless moments.

Could I pay the full Verizon iPhone price and just never activate it with a phone or data plan? (The reason I'd want the Verizon over the AT&T would be in case down the road I decide to man-up and use it as an actual phone, in which case I would strongly prefer Verizon.)

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I know this question has been asked before, but all the info I see online about it is regarding an AT&T iPhone (with a SIM card).

Because I'm in college, the monthly Verizon plan is a bit pricey, and my iPod Touch has been suiting me just fine. But I'm about to be a dad to two new twins on Monday (boy and girl :D), and am betting I'll want a nice camera and video recorder (nicer than the iPod Touch garbage) on me at all times to capture some priceless moments.

Could I pay the full Verizon iPhone price and just never activate it with a phone or data plan? (The reason I'd want the Verizon over the AT&T would be in case down the road I decide to man-up and use it as an actual phone, in which case I would strongly prefer Verizon.)

Just buy a good SLR camera??

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If I were you, I'd just get a point and shoot camera from $100-$200 bucks. You'll be able to find a good one that might even be better than the 4S. When you decide to buy an iPhone, just pay the subsidized pricing for it through Verizon (or whichever carrier you want). It'll be a lot cheaper this way if you aren't paying for the phone up front at full price. If you do decide to buy the iPhone, but later decide that you don't want to keep paying internet for it, then just call up Verizon to activate your old phone (in which case you can remove the internet plan).

That's what I'd do.

Congratulations btw. :)

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Because all dads can carry around a 5 pound Nikon D90 with a 1 pound lens at all times while caring for two children. No, the iPhone 4S has an excellent camera, and the 4 is still great.

I don't think there would be a huge difference in buying one unlocked from Apple. I don't know how much Verizon pricing is, but I'll assume ~$600 for an off contract model. Unlocked is nice as you can use it with any carrier, with or without a SIM. You don't have to use a plan, either. Just put it in Airplane mode and turn in WiFi.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Don't buy anything right now. You'll need the cash. The Touch's camera is good enough for the moment. After you get settled with being a parent financially, you'll make a wiser decision. Good luck and congrats!

HKUSP.40

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
Don't buy anything right now. You'll need the cash. The Touch's camera is good enough for the moment. After you get settled with being a parent financially, you'll make a wiser decision. Good luck and congrats!

This!!

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
If I were you, I'd just get a point and shoot camera from $100-$200 bucks. You'll be able to find a good one that might even be better than the 4S. When you decide to buy an iPhone, just pay the subsidized pricing for it through Verizon (or whichever carrier you want). It'll be a lot cheaper this way if you aren't paying for the phone up front at full price. If you do decide to buy the iPhone, but later decide that you don't want to keep paying internet for it, then just call up Verizon to activate your old phone (in which case you can remove the internet plan).

That's what I'd do.

Congratulations btw. :)

You just gave me an idea (a savings idea) when I read your post. I currently have Sprint. I have two phone plans under one account. First plan is for the 4S (parents), the 2nd plan is for a dumb phone (mine - contract fulfilled). I'm planning on canceling the dumb phone plan this Jan. 2012 leaving me with just the 4S plan.

My parents are traveling abroad and I know they will not take their 4S with them. I want to avoid paying for 6 mos. of service knowing they won't take the 4S with them and the mins/data won't be used at all. Can I then, cancel the 4S during those 6mos. and substitute it my dumb phone (which I cancelled in Jan.'12) or will I be hit with an ETF for the 4S plan?

Two reasons here.
1. I want to avoid paying for the 4S plan just for those 6 mos.
2. I would therefore use my dumb phone for those 6mos. and wait to upgrade to the iPhone 5 or 6 then.

And when my parents return, reactivate the 4S with my new upgrade to the IP5 or 6 and have a shared family plan.

Your probably going to ask me why not just cancel the dumb phone completely and use my parents 4S? (lol), lets just leave the scenario the way I presented it. Otherwise, it'll be more complicated. Thanks.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Because all dads can carry around a 5 pound Nikon D90 with a 1 pound lens at all times while caring for two children. No, the iPhone 4S has an excellent camera, and the 4 is still great.

Most of those priceless moments for the first year or two will certainly be at home, or at a friends house. So yes, I think an SLR is certainly the better option than dropping $600 bucks on a phone that happens to have a decent camera.

If you do go with the phone, why not just get the ATT version, unlocked. It's going to have a better resale value if/when you decide to sell it off.

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
ok about that congratulations on twins but to actually answer your question (unlike every one else telling you it is an unwise decision)

unfortunately you can't you could buy one while you have a contract for full price but the only people who sell them unlocked are att and unfortunately because verizon doesn't use sims you could not put it on verizons network (technically you could because it supports verizons cdma) but it is policy to not let u use it

you could maybe ask verizon and maybe they would or you could sell it full price to you

maybe switch to att?

or if not you will have to get a contract at verizon

my suggestion would be to sign a contract at verizon and if you can't afford the data pack just drop down to an old phone and get rid of it and keep the iPhone as for right now though a

flip video camera is a good choice they are about 100 dollars and record in full 1080p and take about 5 mega pixel stills or a point and shoot non video

congratulations though

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
dude, get a real camera. One that can take video. Just before my daughter was born my wife convinced me to get an expensive Nikon camera... it was like $850 or something... but you know what? It takes AMAZING pictures and video. MUCH better than an iPhone. And I STILL have an iphone (9 months later)... so don't be dumb. It's honestly like getting a Microwave to make toast. No. Get the right tool for the job.

splproductions

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2011

We actually have a very nice Canon SLR, that also takes 1080p video. And as someone said, yes, most of our interactions will be at home (we live away from family right now).

When you do the math over 2 years though, $650 for an iPhone (used w/o the phone) isn't that much compared to $1600 over 2 years (that math is calculating the difference over 2 years in what I pay now for basic cell service).

I guess my thinking was that I ALWAYS have my iPod Touch in my pocket, but I never have the SLR in my pocket (obviously).

I guess I didn't realize that buying an unlocked phone from Apple allowed you to use it with carriers with or without SIM. I guess I need to read up some more on that. [ETA: I'm looking on the Apple store right now... it says you can only use an unlocked iPhone on GSM networks like AT&T, but you can't use them with CDMA networks like Verizon or Sprint).

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
[ETA: I'm looking on the Apple store right now... it says you can only use an unlocked iPhone on GSM networks like AT&T, but you can't use them with CDMA networks like Verizon or Sprint).

That is accurate. Thing is, with ATT's unlocked phone it's unclocked for all networks, even in the US. It's going to have a higher resale value for this very reason. With Verizon or Sprint, if you pop a US sim card in, you are SOL because it is only unlocked for networks outside of the US.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
If you don't intend on ever activating the phone, you could probably get a good deal on an iPhone with a bad ESN. Basically the owner of the phone didn't pay their bill and the phone is blacklisted from being used by that provider. I think it can never be used again on the network, but that may be fine for you.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you don't intend on ever activating the phone, you could probably get a good deal on an iPhone with a bad ESN. Basically the owner of the phone didn't pay their bill and the phone is blacklisted from being used by that provider. I think it can never be used again on the network, but that may be fine for you.

FYI, bad ESN can also mean it was stolen. Not sure with Verizon, but I know a bad IMEI (kind of the ESN equivalent on ATT) almost certainly means it was stolen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.