Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
This is so odd.

I've been browsing Safari for just like 10 minutes or so on my iPad, I leave to the home screen and I see this feint shadowing of the top of Safari on my home screen (see photo).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1323316162.074856.jpg

I immediately think that this is software, so I take a screenshot, but it's not showing up in the screenshot, so I power down, it's still there on the boot page. By the time the iPad turns back on the imprint is gone. So I test again, I go browse safari for 10 minutes or so and BAM! There it is again. I snap a picture with my iPhone. I'm still having the problem as I type this using my iPad, Tapatalk is being embedded into my screen.

I guess I need to take a trip to Apple. I really don't want a refurb but you get what you get I guess. I'm seriously considering a MacBook Air. I'm sorry, but the iPad 2 build quality has always been a bit too sketchy. The plastic edges peeling away from the bezel on the white iPad (it's on every iPad 2 white I've seen), screen bleeding, yellow, and now this. MacBook Air, from what I've seen, is solid in the build department.

Whatever, this isn't an iPad 2 vs. Air thread... I wanted to warn you folks and see if anybody else has had this problem, it's bad.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Never had it with my first iPad, any of my 5 iPhones, or my iPad 2. Just take it back to Apple or send it in and they'll replace it.

nouveau

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
Take it back to Apple and get a replacement, simple

Thanks for letting us know, but this is easily solvable

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
I've had my 2 since a week after launch, use it constantly day and night, spend at least half that time in Atomic - never had this problem. Definitely take it to a genius bar. That is not something that should be happening.

mmf01

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
See the thread below and my reply. I had the same problem on both iPad 1 and iPad 2 and after 5+ replacement iPads, this burn-in, while annoying, was the least of other problems encountered with refurb iPads. If the burn-in is enough to bother, dead pixels, light leak, tooling marks on surface, wifi dropping, etc, will surely annoy. Personally, I ran into every single one of those problems after exchanging for burn-in problem.

Not trying to discourage an exchange, just if you do exchange, be prepared to inspect every aspect of the replacement before you leave the Apple store. Over multiple vists to Apple, I've literally been through 10 iPads, several of which had problems out of box and 5 or so which had latent problems. I've come to the realization there are no *perfect* iPads. Just ones with lesser of evils.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/13957476/

seeharrison

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
My new iPad1 (I bought it a week ago as a refurb) is now doing the same thing with the image retention. Now I wonder if I should take it in to a store. I bought it with AppleCare.

mmf01

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
My new iPad1 (I bought it a week ago as a refurb) is now doing the same thing with the image retention. Now I wonder if I should take it in to a store. I bought it with AppleCare.

If your willing to risk getting a replacement unit with dead pixels, wifi problems, tooling marks on the bezel, backlight bleeding, etc. then by all means..:) Honestly, I've learned to live the burn in for fear of receiving a replacement unit with the aforementioned problems. I wish I could get a perfect replacement unit, but those don't exist for us that notice the smaller things on devices. I don't believe the burn in will get any worse over time nor does it nessarily indicate other potential problems, just that its inherent to the LCD type. It's nothing more than a minor annoyance that is temporary and isn't noticeable unless you fire up an app like Zite with a dark launch screen.

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
If your willing to risk getting a replacement unit with dead pixels, wifi problems, tooling marks on the bezel, backlight bleeding, etc. then by all means..:) Honestly, I've learned to live the burn in for fear of receiving a replacement unit with the aforementioned problems. I wish I could get a perfect replacement unit, but those don't exist for us that notice the smaller things on devices. I don't believe the burn in will get any worse over time nor does it nessarily indicate other potential problems, just that its inherent to the LCD type. It's nothing more than a minor annoyance that is temporary and isn't noticeable unless you fire up an app like Zite with a dark launch screen.

On the off chance you ever received such a defective model they would replace it again for you until you get a good one...

In fact, some say that you're LESS likely to get a bad unit as a refurb. Apple received these units back for one reason or another and have gone over and repaired anything wrong with them. They also swap out the battery and outer shell, giving the appearance of a new device.

mmf01

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
On the off chance you ever received such a defective model they would replace it again for you until you get a good one...

In fact, some say that you're LESS likely to get a bad unit as a refurb. Apple received these units back for one reason or another and have gone over and repaired anything wrong with them. They also swap out the battery and outer shell, giving the appearance of a new device.

Yes, this type refurb Russian roulette is what I went through and even going through about 10 iPads over the course of several months I had yet to find a perfect iPad, so I eventually just lived with the lessor of issues, which was the burn in.

On the refurb piece, it appears most of the refurb process is purely cosmetic. The expensive items like LCD, processor boards, etc. are all reused and were returned in a unit from a prior customer due to real, perceived, or otherwise issues. There is no way Apple or any refurb facility can reliabily test for everything, including intermittent problems and/or items they internally deem "in-spec". I can almost guarantee they don't test for burn-in, non-obvious pixel problems, and the smaller nuances many of us usually notice. Why you might ask? Time, Cost, Yield, Odds. Are they going to take the time to replicate, let alone know the exact conditions experienced previously from the prior customer? Doubtful since most manufacturing QA testing is standardized, automated, and doesn't account for the one off conditions that create one off problems, like burn in. There isn't someone eyeballing every single pixel for quality. Most folks won't notice many of these issues, hence Apple, like other companies, play the odds due to time, cost, yield, etc.

Every device I've had, new or refurb, had or still has one or more of the following conditions.

1) Visible or Non-Visible dust under screen (Power off, use flashlight to verify through glass)
2) Tooling marks (Small blemishes, nicks, indents, etc. near glass and/or bezel or on back)
3) Pixel Dead/Stuck/Etc.
4) Backlight Bleeding
5) LCD color temp differences from original.
6) WiFi Dropping at random
7) Dock connector chipped on corner
8) Debris in dock connector (aluminum chips)
9) Image Burn In / Retention - Temporary
10) LCD rubber gasket swelling over time

Unfortunatly, I've yet to find a perfect device from new or refurb stock. This is the trade off of mass production vs. cost, ufortunately.

To be clear, Apple build quality far exceeds most companies standards, however, even that being said, with mass production, I've come accept 100% perfect products just don't exist.

The degree of perfection is for each to judge on their own, but for me personally, if everything else is perfect, I wouldn't risk trading problems by swapping devices. But that's just me and my and my experiences. Folks ultimately need to do what will make them happy. :)

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
So I just found this thread and I'm starting to notice the same thing on my ipad. I have an appt set with the Genius Bar later today to look at it. Am I wasting my time having them take a look at it? I just started to notice it the other day when I change my wallpaper (mostly at the edges on the lock screen and for a very short time on the home screen. Do you think it would be good to just take it in for them to document the issue? I worry that if they replace it I will end up with some other issue vs what at this time is a live able issue. I also worry that it will get worse which is the main reason I'm taking it in to them.

Sorry to necro bump just wanted to get some opinions before I take it in and whether or not anyone who has kept their ipad with this issue has experienced it getting worse over time.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I had the same issue with my launch day iPad 3. After about 3 months of use I could see screen ghosting that persisted for tens of minutes. The unit was swapped out and the replacement is free from the same defect.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I had the same issue with my launch day iPad 3. After about 3 months of use I could see screen ghosting that persisted for tens of minutes. The unit was swapped out and the replacement is free from the same defect.
Nice to hear. I just don't understand how Apple's customer service is praised so much in the United States, while in Europe the general consensus is that Apple's customer service is generally neutral to bad.*

* In fact, the main advice from many people is: if you buy an Apple device, don't buy it from Apple directly but from a reseller. And if there's a problem with your device, go or get in touch with the reseller and NOT with Apple.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Nice to hear. I just don't understand how Apple's customer service is praised so much in the United States, while in Europe the general consensus is that Apple's customer service is generally neutral to bad.*

* In fact, the main advice from many people is: if you buy an Apple device, don't buy it from Apple directly but from a reseller. And if there's a problem with your device, go or get in touch with the reseller and NOT with Apple.

For the most part CS is great in the US. A little example :).....I always buy applecare+ with my iphone which is suppose to have a $50 deductible. Twice I have had to use it and they did not make me pay the deductible, and they were replaced by accidental damage...not a defect.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
So I just found this thread and I'm starting to notice the same thing on my ipad. I have an appt set with the Genius Bar later today to look at it. Am I wasting my time having them take a look at it? I just started to notice it the other day when I change my wallpaper (mostly at the edges on the lock screen and for a very short time on the home screen. Do you think it would be good to just take it in for them to document the issue? I worry that if they replace it I will end up with some other issue vs what at this time is a live able issue. I also worry that it will get worse which is the main reason I'm taking it in to them.

Sorry to necro bump just wanted to get some opinions before I take it in and whether or not anyone who has kept their ipad with this issue has experienced it getting worse over time.

If they don't help you, there are ways of alleviating image persistence documented across the internet. It's usually attempted by bringing up a white screen at high brightness levels with 100% coverage and leaving it that way for a long time. Unfortunately this has been a potential issue with aging lcd panels for a long time.

Mdwall

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2012
Just a quick update on my end. I went in tonight and was there a total of about 20 minutes and walked out with a new (refurbed I'm sure but still) iPad. So far so good with it but still syncing it at the moment. I guess time will tell. The unit its self looks flawless but then again so did my old one. Either way very happy w/ Apple's service

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.