Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

12days.jpg

Apple has launched their annual "12 Days of Christmas" iTunes Store holiday promotion for European customers. The free app download gives way free content each day from December 26th to January 6th.
You and your friends can download a fantastic selection of songs, music videos, apps and books for free. Each download will only be available for 24 hours. Get our special 12 Days of Christmas app to make it even easier to access your gifts while you're on the go.
As we noted last year, the promotion has traditionally been limited to European and Canadian iTunes Stores. AppleInsider reports Canadian customers should get their own app soon. [App Store].

For those without an iOS device, Apple says to come back to iTunes on December 26th to download gifts from your computer. Though the U.S. customers are excluded from this promotion, App Store developers frequently use the holidays to hold sales on their apps. AppventCalendar is another daily free app promotion that has already started daily app freebies.

Article Link: Apple Launches Free 12 Days of Christmas App for European Customers

tylerk36

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
Xmass sucks, life sucks, so why should I download an app that makes me miserable.

tylerk36

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
What a ridiculous question, you shouldn't.

Or at least I know I wouldn't download an app that made me miserable.

If I hate life then that means I won't download the Friggen thing. Not question just the effn facts.

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
This must be how other countries feel when there are USA exclusives.

:( this sucks.

yep. On the other hand, the US gets the free tune/app/film/tv show of the week and at least in the German store we get sweet fanny adams (i.e. fk all)

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
How about making it match the full Advent instead of forcing the US-based 12 days of Christmas on EU customers (especially because many of those with new stores are in Eastern/Central Europe.)

LOL

The Great Boony

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2010
This must be how other countries feel when there are USA exclusives.

:( this sucks.

We'd rather have Siri working with maps....

----------

Compensation for the extreme Euro Apple tax!

How many times, Apple don't display tax on the US site, and they do on the UK site.

----------

How about making it match the full Advent instead of forcing the US-based 12 days of Christmas on EU customers (especially because many of those with new stores are in Eastern/Central Europe.)

LOL

Thats a very good point.

Last edited by a moderator:

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
The "Twelve Days Of Christmas" is a Christmas tradition. It is not just US-based.
:confused:

Sure, but more people following the Advent calender (now commercialized to start on Dec 1 through Dec 24) rather than the "12-days" thing that most people sing/discuss in the US.

daio

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
Germany
I have a British Account and a German account at iTunes. It is possible to get a German account (and probably accounts from other countries) without needing a payment method, simply 'no payment method' when setting it up. (Obviously you need a basic understanding of either the language or the order in which the data must be entered during the setup procedure). The British account requires a British address in the billing method but the German one not. Last year, I was able to login to the store in one account, download the freebie from this app, logout and login with another account, download that freebie too. Most of the time the freebie was the same between the two accounts, ie; where apps were concerned, but not always the case. I have heard that French accounts can also be setup without needing a payment method.

flynndean

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
London, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'd just like to throw my weight behind the "12 Days of Christmas" not being a US-only tradition.

The idea of "Twelfth Night" has been around for hundreds of years (please consult the works of a certain William Shakespeare for details) and I'm pretty sure the song "The 12 Days of Christmas" is a few hundred years old at least & with origins on my side of 'the pond' (UK/Europe)

The App has been going a few years now & was particularly good the 1st year (where we got several Full-Price games, movies & TV Shows). I remember watching experiencing the content & it getting me into a few things I wouldn't have tried otherwise...

Last year was a little less impressive & more open to the trappings of the subjectivity of taste (I ended up with a lot of pop music/music videos that had no chance of winning me over). But it's all free stuff! So anything I don't want merely mimics the socks I get every year from relatives!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.