Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Cue December 26th and twelve days of the usual "These offerings are lame, not as good as last year, complete fail, Apple sux" postings showing the true spirit of Christmas. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'd just like to throw my weight behind the "12 Days of Christmas" not being a US-only tradition.

The idea of "Twelfth Night" has been around for hundreds of years (please consult the works of a certain William Shakespeare for details) and I'm pretty sure the song "The 12 Days of Christmas" is a few hundred years old at least & with origins on my side of 'the pond' (UK/Europe)

The App has been going a few years now & was particularly good the 1st year (where we got several Full-Price games, movies & TV Shows). I remember watching experiencing the content & it getting me into a few things I wouldn't have tried otherwise...

Last year was a little less impressive & more open to the trappings of the subjectivity of taste (I ended up with a lot of pop music/music videos that had no chance of winning me over). But it's all free stuff! So anything I don't want merely mimics the socks I get every year from relatives!

I didn't say that it was US only, but rather that giving something out for Advent would've been a better marketing strategy, especially if something big was provided at the end. I know that the 12-days of Xmas is not US only, but it's definitely much reduced in following compared with Advent.

Just think of how many Advent calendars are seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
What sort of Apps/books etc were available with this app last year????

Wading through my iTunes purchase history, in the UK last year we had*:

Geared (game)
Fishing Kings (game)
Life of Pi (book)
Modern Times (1936 movie)
Broken Sword (game)
Dr Who - The End of Time Pt 1 (TV episode)
Mirrors Edge (game)
4 x David Guetta videos
Kings of Leon Radioactive (song) & Arizona (video)
Cheryl Cole On the Road (video & song) Promise This (song)
2 x Michael Buble songs
Father Ted Christmas Special (TV episode)
3 x Duran Duran songs

*except there's clearly 13 there - one of the games I downloaded can't have been in the promotion, think it could have been Geared.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Yes, butI'm not installing a whole bunch of junk just because it's free..Let's hope we do get one or two useful items. Off-hand, there isn't anything I'm in need of anyway.

I take the approach of downloading everything, and then just deleting the unwanted apps and unticking the unwanted songs/videos in iTunes knowing that I can then re-download the apps for free or re-select the songs/vids if I ever do want them.

Only downside to that is that iTunes now assumes I'm a massive Michael Buble and Cheryl Cole fan when serving up my Genius results :eek:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Nightmare!

I take the approach of downloading everything, and then just deleting the unwanted apps and unticking the unwanted songs/videos in iTunes knowing that I can then re-download the apps for free or re-select the songs/vids if I ever do want them.

Only downside to that is that iTunes now assumes I'm a massive Michael Buble and Cheryl Cole fan when serving up my Genius results :eek:

That's a big downside....:D Not a bad approach though...Thing is my purchased items run to 2 pages already! I'm going to try and be selective!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Awesome! Most of the stuff over the years I've not really used, but there was a couple of apps that were great and I was glad I got them for free.

Littleman

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Read 'life of pi' because of the free download, so can't complain. More books would be good this time.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

Was told this is somehow against Fedreal Teade regs and not done in the states. I think it has to due with the equipment or content but not both laws of the Ma Bell breakup.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I didn't say that it was US only, but rather that giving something out for Advent would've been a better marketing strategy, especially if something big was provided at the end. I know that the 12-days of Xmas is not US only, but it's definitely much reduced in following compared with Advent.

Just think of how many Advent calendars are seen.
"

You're missing something important. Lots of people get iPhones, iPods and iPads on Christmas Day. Giving away free downloads for every day up to Christmas would be a bit counter-productive wouldn't it?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
You're missing something important. Lots of people get iPhones, iPods and iPads on Christmas Day. Giving away free downloads for every day up to Christmas would be a bit counter-productive wouldn't it?

And the first thing they'll do is open up the App Store, go to free and start downloading things. Top of the list of free stuff is the 12 Days of Christmas app.

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
At least until people work out that the difference is larger than is accounted for by VAT.Probably longer.

Apple's UK pricing is very reasonable compared to other companies. Most of the discrepancy is caused by Apple rounding up to the nearest 9 or 99. eg £89, £399 etc, and by them choosing prices that can weather short term currency fluctuations. Consumers respond well to simple, stable pricing so Apple are not going to stop doing that any time soon. If you want to talk about rip-off Britain, try buying an Adobe product.

----------

never understood why it doest start on dec 1st

Try reading four posts ahead of yours. :rolleyes:

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
never understood why it doest start on dec 1st

me neither? as far as getting an iPhone for Xmas? that's a pretty hefty gift (at 749€ prepaid or 1500€ subsidized.) I still think the advent idea makes more sense and would result in more app sales (21-28 days vs. 12 days).

maybe people give each other iPhones for Xmas in the states? i wouldn't know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.