Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

instagramaoty.jpg

Apple has released the 2011 edition of its annual iTunes Rewind feature in the iTunes Store. The piece offers a look at what the company has judged to be the best music, movies, TV shows, apps, books, and podcasts of 2011.

Some of the notable winners:

Apps:
- iPhone App of the Year: Instagram
- iPhone Game of the Year: Tiny Tower
- iPad App of the Year: Snapseed
- iPad Game of the Year: Dead Space for iPad

Music:
- Song of the Year: Pumped Up Kicks by Foster the People
- Artist of the Year: Adele
- Album of the Year: Wasting Light by Foo Fighters

Books:
- Best Novel: The Tiger's Wife by Téa Obeht
- Best Nonfiction: Boomerang by Michael Lewis

It's important to note that these awards are all for the United States iTunes Store. In some cases, Apple gave awards to different items in different countries. For example, Djay was awarded iPad App of the Year honors in the UK, while Tiny Wings won iPhone Game of the Year in the UK and Australia.

Instagram isn't the first photography app to win App of the Year award. In 2010, Hipstamatic took home App of the Year honors. Plants vs. Zombies won the Game of the Year award that year.

MacRumors covered iTunes Rewind in 2010 and 2009, as well.

Article Link: 'iTunes Rewind' Highlights the Best of 2011; Instagram, Tiny Tower Win Best of Year Awards

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
I can see a list of "best apps"... but Music? Seriously? Never heard of any of those on the list except for Foo Fighters (and that's only because I am familiar with the band name.)

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
I can see a list of "best apps"... but Music? Seriously? Never heard of any of those on the list except for Foo Fighters (and that's only because I am familiar with the band name.)

Seriously? You've never heard of Adele, at least 'Rolling In The Deep'? Especially when Apple used her song for the "Watch The iPhone 4S video." It's a great song, but I digressed.

Instagram really deserves Best App (which it did receive). I'm seriously addicted to it and picture taking with the 4S are incredible to say the least.

As far as gaming apps goes, I'm addicted (currently) to Temple Run. I need suggestions for more games though! Good quality games.

Last edited:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
(all the other kids with their...) Pumped Up Kicks and Adele are played all over.

I love Snapseed and Tiny Wings. the move to snap seed on iPad is great.

tried instagram once, ehh, haven't opened it since. not my type.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Are you over thirty?

Both Adele and Foster the People are 2012 Grammy nominees. Their works have been near the top of the Billboard charts. Adele actually won the Best New Artist and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance awards in 2009.

P.S., I am over forty.

Last edited:

twitter

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
best song: Pumped Up Kicks by Foster.... really??? there are covers of this song that are so much better

I could agree with Adele she is known worldwide and her music is decent.

also..

iTunes just named Fresh Air the best audio podcast of the year!

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I don't really like Tiny Tower....
I think the iPhone game of the year should be Infinity Blade II..... really really good game.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

You've never heard of Adele? Wow. You are in DIRE need of a magazine, a radio, a newspaper, google, or some company.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
I have never heard of Instagram or Tiny Tower before. How are the best apps of the year...free? I figured Angry Birds was going to take home the gold with it being....EVERYWHERE!

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003

Adele is one of the best vocalists to come along in several years. Get out more.

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
I'm kinda surprised that they didn't name Isaacson's "Steve Jobs" as best nonfiction book, but I'm guessing they didn't want to appear to be biased...

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
I have never heard of Instagram or Tiny Tower before. How are the best apps of the year...free? I figured Angry Birds was going to take home the gold with it being....EVERYWHERE!

Tiny Tower is addictive. Incredibly addictive. Angry Birds is old now.

I'm not to keen on Instagram. I don't want to make my photos look old. Camera+ is still my favourite by far.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Keep away from Tiny Tower. Cute, but a soul sucker.

The soul sucker I'm currently playing is Skyrim. I mean literally. :p

I just checked out Tiny Tower; it looks like a SimTower port.

I'm kinda surprised that they didn't name Isaacson's "Steve Jobs" as best nonfiction book, but I'm guessing they didn't want to appear to be biased...

You can't judge a biography on content. Sorry your life sounds boring, so I'll rate it low?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I'm not to keen on Instagram. I don't want to make my photos look old. Camera+ is still my favourite by far.
Instagram is primarily about sharing.

You are not required to filter your shots to make them look old. Instagram has a "normal" (unfiltered) setting which is actually the default. Instagram can be configured to save both the original image and the filtered image to your Camera Roll. Several of the Instagram filters are really just contrast enhancement filters and don't make the images look old.

Camera+ is a great app. You can take photos with Camera+, save to your Roll, then fire up Instagram and share your photos from your Camera Library, regardless of which app was used to take the photo or to manipulate it.

Last edited:

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Since this is a dogpile can I chime in and state that games are for retards?

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
are you over thirty?

Both adele and foster the people are 2012 grammy nominees. Their works have been near the top of the billboard charts. Adele actually won the best new artist and best female pop vocal performance awards in 2009.

P.s., i am over forty.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Pumped Up Kicks?? Ugh...that's just great. "Best song" is one about revenge and shooting people. Lovely society.

I bought 3 CDs this year, 2 of them by Adele.

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC

You don't have to make your photos look old, Lol! Some photos just look better if it were really a vintage shot, but I like more (mostly) modern settings. I hardly ever make my photos look old/older but I'm not against it, from time to time.

Here are 2 shots from my Instagram. . .

attachment.php
attachment.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.