Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Pumped Up Kicks?? Ugh...that's just great. "Best song" is one about revenge and shooting people. Lovely society.

I bought 3 CDs this year, 2 of them by Adele.

So you're complaining about a song directed at bullies, but then laud ones about a woman who feels she can't get by without some guy? Okay then.

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
Seriously? You've never heard of Adele, at least 'Rolling In The Deep'? Especially when Apple used her song for the "Watch The iPhone 4S video." It's a great song, but I digressed.

Instagram really deserves Best App (which it did receive). I'm seriously addicted to it and picture taking with the 4S are incredible to say the least.

As far as gaming apps goes, I'm addicted (currently) to Temple Run. I need suggestions for more games though! Good quality games.

The only reason I heard of Adele was because she was singing one night on Dancing with the Stars.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
So you're complaining about a song directed at bullies, but then laud ones about a woman who feels she can't get by without some guy? Okay then.
Interesting. You take Adele's songs so seriously that you think they are more than just songs about heartbreak, yet you think violence is ok if against bullies? Okay, then.

BTW, one of her biggest songs is also about revenge. Although not violence.

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
I can see a list of "best apps"... but Music? Seriously? Never heard of any of those on the list except for Foo Fighters (and that's only because I am familiar with the band name.)

If you just turned on your radio for 2 seconds, I guarantee it would be playing either Pumped Up Kicks or Adele.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
I don't understand how a camera app could take app of the year. There are some awesome apps out there like 2do, BizXpenseTracker, Evernote & DropBox that are absolute necessities. I mean, a camera app?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
People like taking pictures. Sharing photos is one of the top activities in the social networking sites (e.g., Facebook).

It's worth pointing out that these are editorial selections. There is no reason to be surprised that the App Store editors selected Instagram this year, since they picked Hipstamatic last year.

The productivity apps like those you mentioned can be very helpful, but they aren't what's truly popular (or fun), at least in the eyes of the App Store editors. If you want to change the selection process, get a job at Apple.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Tiny Tower? Bleah. What were they thinking? Tiny Tower is almost identical to all those other task games, except it has crappier graphics.

disinfectant

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
New York City
I don't understand how a camera app could take app of the year. There are some awesome apps out there like 2do, BizXpenseTracker, Evernote & DropBox that are absolute necessities. I mean, a camera app?

A) Some of those apps you listed were not released this year.
B) Not everyone is in need of some of those apps, but almost everyone is taking pictures with their phone. As it's the most used camera these days.

Chumburro2U

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I Love L.A.
Hipstamatic?

Hipstamatic was last years App of the Year and that also is a camera app. I consider Hipstamatic a necessity because my phone and my camera are always with me wherever I go.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Tiny Tower?! Seriously?!

:confused:

I just don't get it, the game entertained me for all of two days until I realized how flat and uninteresting it was. Eventually it just became waiting til i needed to restock, paying to restock, waiting til i had money and adding a new floor. Unlike other sim games there wasn't any depth to the resource management or building and you couldn't really do much beyond that same basic cycle. With randomly dropped store types you can even strategize well. It is an intriguing demo concept that could be developed into a fun Sim Tower-esque game but is FAR too limited to be the best game of the year. Tiny Wings would be better, its simple but FUN for example. There are other great games too, this one? Cute but limited.

Ejilol

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
I have such a hatred for Adele...

She just sounds likes she's whining
every
single
song!

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Heard Pumped up Kicks a few times and did not like it at all but just my personal preference. Part of what annoys me about the song is Pandora seems convinced I will like it every time I turn it on.

I agree with a previous comment, a camera app is a kinda dull choice. Nothing at all against the app but there are so many more innovative options.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
People keep saying Tiny Tower has bad graphics. Tiny Tower has brilliant graphics. Some really lovely pixel art there.

I got bored of it pretty fast too, but my wife has 120 floors, haha. Its best if you're competing with someone through gamecenter.

Xian Zhu Xuande

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Also a total rip-off of SimTower, which I'm fine with since EA is a douche-bag of a gaming company.
I wouldn't call it a total rip-off but I would be amazed if TinyTower would exist without SimTower coming before it. A 'total rip-off' is more along the lines of what Zynga did with, what was it called, Dream Heights? In any case, it is clear that inspiration here pre-dates TinyTower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.