Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2allbeefpatties

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
I just read this on the Apple forum, this appears to confirm that the 3G switch is indeed software configurable.

1) Does this method sound illegitimate?

2) Can anyone confirm this?

User: TallBearNC
Re: How do I turn off 3G on the iPhone 4S?
Nov 28, 2011 7:28 PM (in response to nathansmithphotographer)
You can edit a file in the 4S backup itunes makes to get the switch back.. it's a simple settings change.. or you can restore a backup from a 3GS or 4 to the 4s and that will get the switch back...

Apple did it because

1) They don't want Siri to look bad.. she really ***** on edge.. everytime you use her, she has to talk to apple.. or search the web, etc

2) They probably figured the phone will auto switch down

Why they did this on the ipad 2 was beyond me...

In either case, I put the 3G switch back on my 4S and ipad 2.

This is the "legal" / "allowed" way to restore the switch. Other methods can not be discussed here

TBH, I think ANY idevice should switch to edge the INSTANT it connects to Wifi... no point what so ever to be on 3G when you have WiFi, unless your SMSing pictures or want fast voicemail downloads to the phone...

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I don't think restoring from a 3Gs/4 backup will bring the switch back. I restored my 4S from my 3Gs and the switch isn't there.

Ksizzle9

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2011
i didnt think that the OP is saying restore a backup from a iPhone 3GS/4, he is talking about getting the 3G switch back on the phone by editing something in a backup file.

AIP5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
I don't think restoring from a 3Gs/4 backup will bring the switch back. I restored my 4S from my 3Gs and the switch isn't there.

Yup, restoring from 3GS doesn't give you back the 3G switch. But I definitely want that switch back. My phone doesn't switch to Edge even when the 3G signal is extremely weak.

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I just wanna say that since i got the 4S i never had such good internet connection where i go, with the 3GS i could barely use the internet in certain places, so for me, getting that switch back isn't gonna happen :)

aneagle

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
Which file needs to be edited?

The only one reflects the gsm registration is Library/Preferences/csidata. I use iBackupBot to import that file from my iPhone 4 backup into the 4s backup and restore the 4s, verify to make sure it's in the 4s but there's NO 3G BUTTON.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
It's amazing that people still don't understand that 3G isn't only for data. On GSM networks, 3G (or HSPA) is used for voice as well. Turning 3G off would put you on a low quality voice service.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
It's amazing that people still don't understand that 3G isn't only for data. On GSM networks, 3G (or HSPA) is used for voice as well. Turning 3G off would put you on a low quality voice service.
So because EDGE has lower voice quality, you are forbidding us to make use of a 3G switch. 3G sucks power, I mean... if you live somewhere where the 3G reception is like 1 bar, EDGE would help out a lot in saving your battery life.

aneagle

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010

Yes, it's correct but in in areas where 3G (UMTS) coverage is not good enough, the 4s will automatically search and switch between 3G (UMTS) and 2G (GSM) stations. It's not a simple cell handover procedure on the same plateform and the phone registration remains in the same HLR or VLR, every switching between 3G and 2G goes through a new radio scan it means trying to register with every station in the range until a registration is authorized.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It's amazing that people still don't understand that 3G isn't only for data. On GSM networks, 3G (or HSPA) is used for voice as well.

This part is correct, though pretty much every 3G technology can be used for voice. CDMA2000 is 3G, and used for voice as much as it is for data.

Turning 3G off would put you on a low quality voice service.

This part isn't correct, anymore.

EDGE (2G) and UMTS (3G) use the same voice codec: AMR. The neat thing about AMR is, it can adapt its bitrate and compression level. The lower the bitrate, the more calls can be squished into a channel... but that also means the compression is higher, and the quality of the call is lower.

It USED to be that voice calls were heavily compressed in EDGE, and not so heavily compressed on 3G, so calls on 3G would sound better. But, now that way more phones are on 3G where it's available, the compression has been increased. So nowadays, calls on either sound roughly the same.

In any case, there's only one reason you'd want to drop to EDGE: 3G quality is poor. That could be either because the 3G network is overcrowded, or you're in a 3G fringe area. And in that case, a "bad" quality EDGE call or slow EDGE data is better than being stuck on a weak, unusable 3G signal and getting NO 3G calls, or NO 3G data.

aneagle

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
iOS 5.0.1 build 9A406 is available like a Christmas gift: it's wide open for everybody to have a chance for a closer look instead of speculation whether it's possible to get the 3G button back or not.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
I wish.. I'm always on wifi. Home & work. I'd rather keep it on 2G. My 3G in my house for some reason is either 1 bar to 5 bars around the house. It sucks. :cool:

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Will be nice if you had Wi-Fi on 3G would turn off then once Wi-Fi was off 3G would turn on.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Will be nice if you had Wi-Fi on 3G would turn off then once Wi-Fi was off 3G would turn on.

3G is not the same as data.

In terms of the GSM/UMTS networks used by AT&T and most carriers in the world, they have a GSM "2G" and a UMTS "3G" network.

Both of these networks can carry calls, text messages and data.

Turning off 3G could mean that your phone would no longer get as good a signal for calls and text messages.

In some places, there isn't a 2G network to fall back on - Japan for example.

Some carriers would also rather that you didn't use the 2G network as it might not be theirs (and they'd have to pay for you to use it).

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
OP: If you want the 3G toggle for the 4s, why not just wait for iOS 5.1 to be released? Apple has added the toggle back in this version for 4s users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.