Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garlicipad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I have many films on my computer and I would like to know if there is a simple, Windows, solution for converting movies to IPad and ITunes friendly format.

It will need to work with a Windows 7 PC and should be fast and easy to use. Also, I do not mind paying for the software if it is excellent at what it does. Thanks for your help and so so happy to be a new IPad owner :D

p.s. Which is the best file format to change AVI into that will look good on an Ipad?

Last edited:

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I have many films on my computer and I would like to know if there is a simple, Windows, solution for converting movies to IPad and ITunes friendly format.

It will need to work with a Windows 7 PC and should be fast and easy to use. Also, I do not mind paying for the software if it is excellent at what it does. Thanks for your help and so so happy to be a new IPad owner :D

p.s. Which is the best file format to change AVI into that will look good on an Ipad?

This subject has been hashed and rehashed.

Try Search

Try Google

garlicipad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I guess some people just don't like garlic :D

But really, there are so many discussed and so many look like junk based on cheesy websites! I was hoping for some personal recommendations and maybe even a top three or five. I know it's noob question :(

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey

If you're going to use Windows I recommend Wondershare. They have a complete set of tools to convert any file format to any other you might need. It has specific settings for iPad and iPhone. I couldn't recommend it any higher.

I think it's called Wondershare converter pro. Sorry I don't have a link handy, but if you Google it you'll find it.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
But really, there are so many discussed and so many look like junk based on cheesy websites! I was hoping for some personal recommendations and maybe even a top three or five. I know it's noob question :(
You just need to be better at researching. Learn to corroborate and consider your sources. If you don't care for "cheesy websites" then disregard them. Search this site. If the forum search doesn't work all that well then use a site restricted Google seearch.

If you'd bother to take some initiative you'd find Handbrake (already mentioned in this thread) is frequently recommended. Being a noob isn't a valid excuse. There's a ton of information on this site but you have to take the initiative to make use of it rather than expecting to be spoon fed.

PerplexShyt

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
why convert when you can download the many apps that play any movie type?

Azul and oPlayer are a few to name.

garlicipad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
trying out Handbrake and it certainly does it's job I guess I just thought a pay version of similar software would convert more quickly, am I wrong?

Also, I did download AirVideo from the app store, does that do the same thing as Azul and oPlayer?

Thanks for your continued help :)

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
trying out Handbrake and it certainly does it's job I guess I just thought a pay version of similar software would convert more quickly, am I wrong?

Also, I did download AirVideo from the app store, does that do the same thing as Azul and oPlayer?

Thanks for your continued help :)

How long does it with Handbreak?

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011

I never viewed video conversion software as an accessory. Interesting concept. Perhaps we could have more threads in this subforum about software.

Excuse me while I start a thread about iPad screen protectors in the iPad forum.

garlicipad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I never viewed video conversion software as an accessory. Interesting concept. Perhaps we could have more threads in this subforum about software.

Excuse me while I start a thread about iPad screen protectors in the iPad forum.

I wish you would just shut your big YAPPER!
87721450.jpg

Last edited:

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
it takes a very long time

That tells me nothing. Okay, I have a Windows 7 x64 i7 920 over clocked to 4.0 Ghz quad core processor with 12GB's of RAM. If I choose the iPhone/iPod conversion it takes a few minutes for a 50 minute original video. A two hour movie takes less than an hour. But if I choose to convert to HD version it can take over an hour depending on the length of the video.

There are variables that makes it impossible for me to tell you how long it might take on your computer, but all I can say is that Wondershare is the fastest that I have used and it works beautifully.

mwulf67

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011

Screw converting; been here, done that...do yourself a favor and get the app AVPlayerHD...it can play all your .avi files (and most others)...

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I have a 2.5 ghz core 2 duo p9500, should it be fast?

I use handbrake on my 15" MBP 2.66 C2D and it takes a pretty long time..... This weekend my cousin was staying in my house and brought his i7 MBP I was converting a few movies for him and it was waaaay faster. I am definitely getting the next MBP's that are released.

garlicipad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
thank you to everyone, mostly, for your advice ;)

I have decided to back away from converting and I am currently testing : Azul, OPlayerHD and AirVideo. I plan to test out AVPlayerHD as another user recently recommended it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.