Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
That's not really all it can do. It can do a lot more than that.

It seems to me that it was meant to replace good judgment... Now, that is a real nice feature. Not having to think about simple things.

Can it tell you when you need to go to the bathroom, because I hate relying on my bladder and bowels to avoid making a mess.

How about that pesky stomach that needs food?

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
This is the second time I've went for a product that Leo Laporte has gushed about during his broadcasts on the TWiT network — the other one was the Drobo mass-storage system.

Both turned out to be absolutely terrible products.

Makes me wonder if Leo really tries out these products before he begins telling his audience how they are the best things since sliced bread, or if it's just all about the advertising dollars.

I vote for dollars first, followed by he really has no clue.

MacVixen

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
I am on my 3rd one now since I got my first one on release day. I was just going to return it - as others have said, it's a cool concept but the execution isn't always all that great and 3 bands in 45 days is ridiculous. But I'm pleased with this offer from jawbone - at least they are stepping up and admitting there is a problem. Their offer to essentially let every single person that purchased one get a refund is great and has helped jawbone's reputation (at least in my eyes).

joeazariah

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2011
I hope that it is a temporary setback. On paper the product looked promising. The product concept is appealing and if it worked as I hoped that it would, it would have appealed to all levels of users.
I was looking to get one, however I will wait for the improved version.

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
UK
Am I the only one who have had a good experience with this product?
I got mine on the 18th of November, and it's working great! Have used it everyday 24/7 and have only had to charge it twice!

It Syncs fine to my phone, and I have found that it tracks my steps and sleep pretty accurately!

ZBB

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
I got mine on the 18th of November, and it's working great! Have used it everyday 24/7 and have only had to charge it twice!

It Syncs fine to my phone, and I have found that it tracks my steps and sleep pretty accurately!

We ordered a pair of them in mid Nov. My wife and I have now been using them with no problems for coming up on 3 weeks.

Overall, its a great product. It would be nice to be able to calibrate it (it appears to overstate the steps).

But we had heard the complaints of them dieing. I think the steps Jawbone are taking are amazing -- costly to them, but showing that they stand behind the product.

OldSchoolMacGuy said:
They claim to know what the issue is in their release yet on their site they make it clean that they don't know when it will return so it sounds like they don't actually know what the problem is.

I read that differently. It appears that they have identified the cause of the failures (or at lease many of them) -- but they are pulling the product until they can make the necessary engineering, sourcing and production process changes to avoid those failures continuing on new units produced...

anubis72

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2004
So when's Apple gonna replace my iPhone 4 with virtually the same problems. Nah, I'm just joking.

RustyIron

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2009
I had three of them, and finally got my money back. My big issue was the loose cap. It kept falling off and getting lost.

Functionality was very limited compared to similar products, but the bracelet is a much more attractive package than an armband. But for a hundred bucks, attractiveness does not offset limited functionality and defective design.

NakedPaulToast

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
I don't think I've driven to Target faster than I did after reading that post...

Bought two for me and my bro!
I think this is sad.

Jawbone has done something extraordinary, something very rarely seen nowadays. You pile more expense onto them for their generous compensation offer.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I think this is sad.

Jawbone has done something extraordinary, something very rarely seen nowadays. You pile more expense onto them for their generous compensation offer.

What exactly do you think Jawbone is going to do with a bunch of broken/likely to break bracelets?

cognetic

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2009
Good Experiences with Jawbone; the UP is pretty cool despite

I've had a great experience with mine despite the sudden hardware failure and look forward to the recovery of the product & design. We have a very large, national corporate wellness incentive program and this type of device is exactly what our employees will love. My trial is more than personal as we look to enhance our workforce with life-health-balance programming. The existing pedometer design and/or Polar-traditional biometric is limited and this platform improvement gives more dimension in sustaining lifestyle and well behaviors for the masses - it's uniquely trackable, has a virtual log component via iPhone which people love, and (for now) simply graphs relevant indicators.

Jawbone is a great company and it's companies like this I choose to endorse. I have no financial interest other than what I pay for high-performing products to enhance & entertain my busy life. :apple:

-cog-

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Well I've had two that died. The second was a replacement that was sent overnight directly from Jawbone. They are supposed to send me another replacement, but I went ahead and applied for the $150 Jawbone store credit anyway. I think ill get a Jambox.

Apparently, you keep the Up anyway and they'll continue to support you.

The product has its flaws even when working, but the lack of proper QA is going to cost Jawbone dearly. I'm glad they're owning up.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
The sign of a good company is in how they respond when things go wrong. I don't have the Jawbone UP, but we own two products from Jawbone at home. Everything I sense or read about them points to well-run company with well -designed products and good customer service. Well, they just gotta make sure these types of product failures are rare. :)

ZBB

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2008
We ordered a pair of them in mid Nov. My wife and I have now been using them with no problems for coming up on 3 weeks.

I guess I jinxed myself with the above post. The day after posting, my UP died. About 4 days after charging it was not responding and nothing happened when plugged in to charge.

Jawbone sent me a replacement, but the replacement is now only holding a charge for just over a day (10 days after receiving it).

My wife's UP is also not holding a charge now. That's 3 out of 3 failures...

Time to call jawbone again for 2 more replacements. But I'll be happy to receive the refund check in another few weeks...

TheMacDanny

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
Disingenuous Indirectness

The link to the "letter" or guarantee is indirect and not available from anywhere within the site. Opaque, the opposite of transparent.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Anyone received their refund or store credit from Jawbone yet?

Edit: Got mine today. $150 nice.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.