Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

interceptor47

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
Ever since I upgraded my IP4 to iOS5 I have had issues with my phone turning itself off randomly, seems about once a day it does this. With this issue, and the fact that it keeps dropping the Bluetooth connection with Ford Sync in my car I am getting kind of fed up with this update. Any one else have your phone turn off by itself?

interceptor47

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
So after 6 weeks no one else has this problem? I bet if the title said "My battery life sucks now, boo hoo, fix it!" I would have a hundred responses.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
By your own observation regarding the lack of responses it would seem that your problem is an unusual one. If I could help, I would; sadly, I cannot. :(

I didn't want you to think that nobody was listening.

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Ever since I upgraded my IP4 to iOS5 I have had issues with my phone turning itself off randomly, seems about once a day it does this. With this issue, and the fact that it keeps dropping the Bluetooth connection with Ford Sync in my car I am getting kind of fed up with this update. Any one else have your phone turn off by itself?

The Motorweek television program on PBS reviewed one of the Ford vehicles and the Sync feature totally failed to work and it was not an Apple problem.

interceptor47

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
I went to the Apple store to see if they would help me. They wanted $150 for a replacement phone since I'm out of warranty. I would have considered paying it if that would have corrected the problem for sure. Since it only started doing it after I updated to iOS5 I hardly think it's the actual phone. I did a restore to new and still happens. Restored from a backup from last April and again, still doing it. It will also not charge when I plug it in sometimes, even when left overnight. I will have to unplug and try it again. Sometimes when I do unplug it, the phone will just turn off again. And not the little spinning thing like it's powering down, just a black screen instantly like it crashed.

I think it's BS that Apple won't help me in this matter seeing as it's no fault of mine it doesn't work correctly. It was just fine before the new OS was installed. I love the phone and features, I just want it to work like it's supposed to. Not randomly crash while sitting in my pocket.

rabbitjetta

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
Downgrade to iOS 4 again. See if it happens and then if it does It tells you that you have a hardware problem.

indisguise

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Hardware issue

it sounds like your phone has a hardware issue. maybe the logic board or something else,but definitely a hardware issue. if you have restored it already and it keeps doing this and it sounds like its getting worse its definitely hardware. being out of warranty $149 is pretty good to get a completely new working phone without renewing any contract. I highly doubt its because of iOS 5 itself.

MerseyRay

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2011
Interceptor, did you every get this issue resolved ?
I have exactly the same problem with my iphone 4 ios 5.0 and havent found any others that have the problem.
I have restored at least 6 times now, and the last restore I done I set it up as a new phone, didnt restore from backup, and connected to iCloud to recieve my contacts. The problem still exists :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.