Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. Yes, I know that there are other threads on the matter but I'm looking for recommendations based on certain things I'm looking for. My previous pair of headphones were the Bang and Olufsen earbuds, and they were great, but after 5-6 years or use they've crapped out on me.

1) I'd like a pair of in ear headphones to help cancel noise on the bus.
2) I'd like them to have volume and play/pause controls like the Apple pack-ins have. I'm not concerned with the quality of the mic as I won't be making phone calls.
3) I'd like to spend between $30-$50 dollars. I know you can get better quality sound by spending more, but that's about all I can afford right now.

To give you an idea at what I'm looking at, here are three pairs that seem to offer what I'm looking for.

Skullcandy 50/50
http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Mi...E432/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323536008&sr=8-2

Incase Capsule
http://www.amazon.com/Capsule-Earph...tronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323541140&sr=1-1-catcorr

Scosche IDR305md
http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Incre...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1323541203&sr=1-1

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Or does anyone have any other recommendations for headphones that might suit my needs?

pchipchip

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2011
I ju the 50/50's and they look pretty good. I haven't gotten them yet, but a friend has them and they have pretty good sound quality.

Chi-mex

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
.....behind you
of the three you have, my first pick would be the SKullCandy, mainly becuase they are an awesome brand of headphones and earbuds, and they come with lifetime warranty. I my self have a pair of their earbuds, and "have" (sent them in for warranty, sound was messin up a bit) a pair of skull candy skullcrushers (look into them, they are also nice). I fully support the SKullcandy one
As for teh scosche, they look nice, but have 140 reviews and only 3 1/2 star.
I doo not think you should even put the capsule ones in consieration.

lhlee96

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
Sydney
of the three you have, my first pick would be the SKullCandy, mainly becuase they are an awesome brand of headphones and earbuds, and they come with lifetime warranty. I my self have a pair of their earbuds, and "have" (sent them in for warranty, sound was messin up a bit) a pair of skull candy skullcrushers (look into them, they are also nice). I fully support the SKullcandy one

I've had some experience with the Skullcandy earphones and to be honest, the sound quality is sub-par and the cords fray in just a matter of months even with infrequent use.

Chi-mex

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
.....behind you
I've had some experience with the Skullcandy earphones and to be honest, the sound quality is sub-par and the cords fray in just a matter of months even with infrequent use.

depends on which product you buy. And if your chord frays just send it in for warranty. they give you back all teh money to use at their store to buy that same product, or something else.

lhlee96

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
Sydney

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after some research, the Skullcandy 50/50 earphones only come with one year's warranty. To the OP, I know that you may have a limited budget but I recommend that you spend a bit more on quality earphones that will last for a long time, rather than a pair of low mid-range earphones that tend to break in about a year and a half's time.

I know this may be out of your range, but if you are willing to splurge a little, I'd suggest the Bose MIE2i earphones. They cost around a hundred bucks, which is about two to three times your spending limit but trust me, it'll be worth it. I've also seen these earphones go for around $85 to $90 on some websites, so just look around the internet.

Chi-mex

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
.....behind you
Correct me if I'm wrong, but after some research, the Skullcandy 50/50 earphones only come with one year's warranty. To the OP, I know that you may have a limited budget but I recommend that you spend a bit more on quality earphones that will last for a long time, rather than a pair of low mid-range earphones that tend to break in about a year and a half's time

Well my friend, on the skullcandy page for teh 50/50 earbuds they say that they give lifetime warranty. Look right under where it says add to cart
Once the item is a skull candy product, you get life time warranty even if you did not buy it from them. I bought my headphones from amazon and just sent them in about 3 weeks ago for warranty. Yesterday they sent me an email saying that they have added the money to my account on skullcandy. Now i have teh choice of buying the same ones again, or other items

danetello

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Basically any sennheiser will do the job well for you
I have had some cx300 or something like that for about 3 years and they eventually broke after going to the gym all the time, probably because the sweat got into the speakers. Pretty good for $20 headphones, and the sound quality is great too!!

brandyboot

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
the third one looks nice but i am a skull candy headphone user for 3 years. the quality of sound is really amazing. sennheiser and altec lansing are also good choices. if you can just buy earphones/headphones on an actual store, then that would be better coz you will be able to test the quality of sound. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.