Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Johnson City, NY
My mbp is backed up on my 2tb capsule. Is it really as easy as putting the new ssd in, booting to recover mode, download lion via internet, restore from time machine backup and i'm back up and running again?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Only thing I see you left out is once you boot to recovery mode you will need to use Disk Utility to format the new SSD. Then install Lion.

rainking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Johnson City, NY
Only thing I see you left out is once you boot to recovery mode you will need to use Disk Utility to format the new SSD. Then install Lion.

Ahh, that's right. Thanks for reminding me.

This is awesome. Just did a complete reinstall of Windows 7 on my older laptop and took me over 3 hours. Between the actual install + all the updates + all the reboots and more updates and more reboots.

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2010
Hey, have you received the 830 yet. I want to know how it'll fit in the MBP. My understanding is that it is smaller than its predecessor. Once the 830 drops in price a bit, I figure to be rocking dual-SSDs: 830 and 470 in no particular raid configuration.

Contivity

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
I'm planning to install it on my MBP. How would it fare if I use Carbon Copy Cloner instead of time machine? How can I transfer the recovery partition?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm planning to install it on my MBP. How would it fare if I use Carbon Copy Cloner instead of time machine? How can I transfer the recovery partition?

This came up in the CCC forums and apparently the only way to get the Recovery Partition on the new drive is do a default install of Lion on the drive first. Then after that you can clone the old install onto the new one. If you are not having problems with your machine there is no reason to mess around doing a complete clean install.

Contivity

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
Install fresh OS X is the best!

This is actually a pretty new install. I just got the late 2011 MBP15. I'm just contemplating to get SSD after using my friend's MBA and it feels faster and responsive. I'd hate to reinstall everything again after I just set everything up.

This came up in the CCC forums and apparently the only way to get the Recovery Partition on the new drive is do a default install of Lion on the drive first. Then after that you can clone the old install onto the new one. If you are not having problems with your machine there is no reason to mess around doing a complete clean install.

That sounds reasonable. If you happen to know, how do i reinstall Lion when the new system doesn't come with the CD. I have made the USB, using the Recovery disk assistant but there's nothing on it.

rainking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Johnson City, NY
This is actually a pretty new install. I just got the late 2011 MBP15. I'm just contemplating to get SSD after using my friend's MBA and it feels faster and responsive. I'd hate to reinstall everything again after I just set everything up.

That sounds reasonable. If you happen to know, how do i reinstall Lion when the new system doesn't come with the CD. I have made the USB, using the Recovery disk assistant but there's nothing on it.

Command R when you boot and you can install Lion via the internet. Nothing else needed.

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
7mm height

I'm interested in getting a Samsung 830 SSD too. The SSD is 7mm in height even though normal hard drives are 9.5 mm. Do I need to use spacers or anything to keep the SSD firmly in place in my MBP? I have a 13-inch mid 2009.

rainking

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
Johnson City, NY
I'm interested in getting a Samsung 830 SSD too. The SSD is 7mm in height even though normal hard drives are 9.5 mm. Do I need to use spacers or anything to keep the SSD firmly in place in my MBP? I have a 13-inch mid 2009.

Get the netbook kit one. It will have everything you need to install properly.

Contivity

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2008
Finally pulled the trigger. I'm getting the m4 instead of the 830. With similar performance and reliability, the m4 offer slightly lower price (about 15%).

jboyzh

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2003
Hey, have you received the 830 yet. I want to know how it'll fit in the MBP. My understanding is that it is smaller than its predecessor. Once the 830 drops in price a bit, I figure to be rocking dual-SSDs: 830 and 470 in no particular raid configuration.

Here, I've already installed three 830s 512GB (2 with clients, and 1 on my MBP), all runs perfectly well so far, which is 1-2 weeks.

I did the cloning with Superduper on mine, with CCC on my clients MBPs.

Reinstalling Lion gets the recovery partition back.

No spacer needed for the 830s in the MBP, they take up just less space and fit well.

I just formatted the drives with Mac disk utility, not using the Samsung Win based software. No firmware updates.

I currently overview a total of 6 Samsung SSD, all installed on MBPs (2 PB22-J 256GB for several years now, 1 470 256GB for half a year, and now 3 830 512GB) and I've seen not one single problem with any of them.

So yes, I can recommend going with Samsung SSD from my experience.

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
I just got an 830 yesterday, and the entire installation was a breeze. No spacers needed because the drive is held in place by the screws on the SIDE of the SSD.

I usually like to do clean installs of the OS on new drives, so I made a Lion install disc, installed my SSD into the MBP, booted off of the install disc, formatted the SSD, and then installed it that way.

Runs quietly. Runs quickly. It's great for my first SSD experience! :) I got mine for $99.99 at Frys (64gb version).

chuck3d

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
I don't get it. My Samsung 830 arrived tonight and I'm afraid it's not formatting. I have it in an external USB drive, Disk Utility sees it fine.

All settings are default "fast," nothing that would cause it to run almost 2 hrs both times before I force quit.

My plan was to do a quick format, then run Carbon Copy Cloner from the SSD in the boot bay and then swap it out.

Any input would be appreciated. I didnt think I had to put it inside to get a format going, but maybe so. I could hook it to my PC and try to find the firmware. One note in the Samsung manual says that it may not operate properly in a Mac OS older than Snow Leopard. I am running Lion, so I'm curious if you guys are.

chuck3d

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
I am in the middle of reformatting in Windows now, then ensuring the firmware is updated, then I'll return to the Mac to reformat and see if that kicks it in.

From re-reading above, it sounds like you put the raw Samsung in, booted from your usb Lion (I have one too), then installed from there. Does Samsung auto-trim under Lion?

----------

No luck in Windows. It said it was unable to complete the format after an hour. My luck, maybe this drive is bad.

chuck3d

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
Good news. All working. But for anyone using search on SSDs or even getting this particular model and lands at the end of this forum as I did, here is some really good advice:

--Put the drive inside your Mac before formatting.
--Formatting from an external enclosure is a nightmare (I tried both the OCZ Vertex 3 and Samsung and both fail)
--For the time it takes to insert the drive (15 minutes), I spent 8 hours befuddled by trying to clone the system over to my external, then swapping.

In fact, if you install the sdd, then use Carbon Copy Cloner from 1 drive to the other, the transfer is outrageous too.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Would love to have your initial impressions of the drive. Will you be putting your HDD in the optibay?

Sasha-1

Contributor
Aug 11, 2001
Good news. All working. But for anyone using search on SSDs or even getting this particular model and lands at the end of this forum as I did, here is some really good advice:

--Put the drive inside your Mac before formatting.
--Formatting from an external enclosure is a nightmare (I tried both the OCZ Vertex 3 and Samsung and both fail)
--For the time it takes to insert the drive (15 minutes), I spent 8 hours befuddled by trying to clone the system over to my external, then swapping.

In fact, if you install the sdd, then use Carbon Copy Cloner from 1 drive to the other, the transfer is outrageous too.

I formatted my SSD from a USB external with zero issue what-so-ever. Used SuperDuper to clone my internal factory Apple drive to the SSD, and then did a swap.

ccarli01

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
Dead thread but need to correct this

yes it is that easy, and as a tip put your old drive into your optibay

DO NOT DO THIS!

Put your SSD in your optical bay because the sensor that can detect movement and slow down disk speed to prevent damage is only in your regular SATA connector not in your optical bay. Since SSD's dont spin its fine that it doesnt have the sensor.

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010

I do this. It's greaat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.