Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
I really miss microsoft paint... I wanted to combine 3 images with a little text and not only I can't find anything in the OSX itself, I downloaded paintbrush and gimp and none will work. Paintbrush won't resize the images and gimp... forget it, gimp is too complicated even to copy-paste a picture.

So is there a simple app that I can copy-paste and resize images?

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Have you tried the default iphoto app that your mac comes with also preview has some basic resizing options

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm an idiot but I feel like I have resized with paintbrush before. Hmm.

HabSonic

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Canada
Try Skitch. Easiest application to do what you want. There may be a 5 min learning curve since the application is different, but after that, i'm sure you'll like the simplicity. You can find it on the Mac App Store.

Downside: the icon is ugly!

Randy McKown

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
Pixelmator is cheap and easy to use. At the same time it has a lot of tools for more advanced work. I don't want to compare it to Photoshop at this point because I haven't had time to sit down and do extensive playing around with it yet but yeah it's pretty dang cool.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Pixelmator is cheap and easy to use. At the same time it has a lot of tools for more advanced work. I don't want to compare it to Photoshop at this point because I haven't had time to sit down and do extensive playing around with it yet but yeah it's pretty dang cool.

If you don't need cmyk support, it's not that bad, and the ui is pretty simple. It seems powerful enough to create cool stuff, but the point I just mentioned would be a deal breaker for most graphic designers and print professionals.

HabSonic

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Canada
Did you guys read the OP needs? Seashore, The Gimp, Pixelmator and Photoshop are overkill... soooo overkill I must say. Skitch, Sketchbook express and maybe Paintbrush (haven't tried it since a long time) are easy to use and they will do what the OP want just fine for free.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I wanted to combine 3 images with a little text and not only I can't find anything in the OSX itself, I downloaded paintbrush and gimp and none will work. Paintbrush won't resize the images and gimp... forget it, gimp is too complicated even to copy-paste a picture.

So is there a simple app that I can copy-paste and resize images?
Preview can do everything you describe. I rarely have a need to use any other app for photo manipulation.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Preview can do everything you describe. I rarely have a need to use any other app for photo manipulation.

Preview seems ok, easy to copy-paste-resize etc, but it still has a problem...
The starting picture has no space to paste because when I paste next to it in the gray area, the items I pasted disappear.
How do I increase the blank area (and decrease the gray area) ?

The starting picture has no space to paste because when I paste next to it in the gray area, the items I pasted disappear.

Any help with the gray area of preview? I mean in microsoft paint you would just resize the white background to get more real estate for the pictures. I can't do that here.

But I tried the instant alpha feature of preview and it's awesome, didn't know it had those capabilities.
That gray area thing is really bothering me though. Only way I can combine many images is to scale them smaller but then the quality gets crappy.

Last edited by a moderator:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Start with a larger picture, then copy and paste over it. For example, I many times start with an all-black or all-white image that I can resize as needed to create my canvas. Then you can copy and paste as many images on top of that as you like, arranging them so the background is completely covered, or used as a frame around images you paste. It works quite well.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Start with a larger picture, then copy and paste over it. For example, I many times start with an all-black or all-white image that I can resize as needed to create my canvas. Then you can copy and paste as many images on top of that as you like, arranging them so the background is completely covered, or used as a frame around images you paste. It works quite well.

Ok, can you send me a big white image please? (around 1000x1000 if possible).
Or can I make it in some way? I searched google but no luck.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Ok, can you send me a big white image please? (around 1000x1000 if possible).
Or can I make it in some way? I searched google but no luck.
You can easily make it. Find any image with white space on it. Use Preview to crop everything but the white space. Then resize it however you like.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
You can easily make it. Find any image with white space on it. Use Preview to crop everything but the white space. Then resize it however you like.

or he can use any picture he doesn't need anymore. Fill it with white then adjust size as he pleases.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
or he can use any picture he doesn't need anymore. Fill it with white then adjust size as he pleases.
Of course, if you simply crop a white section from an existing photo, then do a "Save as" a different file name, you have results without destroying any photo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.