Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiteflyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2005
Since storage space can get tight on the MacAir I was wondering which takes up less hard drive space
1. using VM Ware with windows and removing bootcamp

or

2. using only Bootcamp with windows

On my 13 inch 2010 Air I use bootcamp which works OK for me but if I upgrade to a new 11 inch Air I thought I might just run windows through VM Ware
so I don't have to section of the SSD drive.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Bootcamp is going to take more space I'd say.

I switched from VMWare to Parallels 7 when I went to the Air and am very, very happy with it. Its fast, lean, and integrates so well with Lion.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I'm not sure about VMware but I know Parallels compresses your Windows virtual machine so that it takes less space than an regular Windows installation on your drive.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Since storage space can get tight on the MacAir I was wondering which takes up less hard drive space
1. using VM Ware with windows and removing bootcamp

or

2. using only Bootcamp with windows

On my 13 inch 2010 Air I use bootcamp which works OK for me but if I upgrade to a new 11 inch Air I thought I might just run windows through VM Ware
so I don't have to section of the SSD drive.

If your partition for bootcamp is almost full, they'll take the same space, if you have a lot of free space vmware would use less space (remember to compress the disk file when you delete large files inside your virtual machine)

----------

I'm not sure about VMware but I know Parallels compresses your Windows virtual machine so that it takes less space than an regular Windows installation on your drive.

It's not compressing it's just not storing empty space so if you have 20GB out of 40GB used on your virtual disk it'll take ~20GB in OSX and not the full 40GB unless you configure it that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.