Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
USA
Does anyone have experience for how long it takes for at&t to reflect that you returned your iPhone to an Apple store within the 30 day return period? I tried to go to the at&t store across from the apple store but they refused to help me as the return was not in the system. I just want my upgrade date rolled back and my contract renewal reversed.

nitemare

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
it can take up to a week. all i can say is call back in a few days if it hasn't taken effect and find out why and explain to them without yelling or raising your voice or name calling that you returned the iPhone to Apple store.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I returned a 4s to apple.com, and I called AT&T as soon as apple had received the return at their warehouse, and the rep reset the upgrade right then on the phone. Sometimes it takes calling back until you get a rep who knows what to do.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I think that if you'd asked the apple rep who handled your return that they could have called AT&T to have the upgrade reset...possibly. Regardless, it will probably be reset soon.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
USA
I think that if you'd asked the apple rep who handled your return that they could have called AT&T to have the upgrade reset...possibly. Regardless, it will probably be reset soon.

I called Apple this morning and their response was that once the return was in, if the upgrade had not rolled back to contact AT&T. AT&T says "Call Apple". I feel like I am getting the runaround.

dowork84

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
When I bought my phone using the upgrade the lady was clear to tell me that my upgrade once used can't be returned

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
I just went through this with Best Buy. I returned a phone October 2nd and the guy told me it would take 3 days for reversal. Cool, I didn't plan on getting a phone. I had some unfortunate things happen about two weeks ago and needed that upgrade. WEnt into the store to get the 4S and was informed I didn't have an upgrade.

Went to Best Buy, had them print the receipts and such again and told them I needed them to reverse the upgrade. They called AT&T and then gave me the 3 days BS again. Went to AT&T the next day and they told me that I had to go back to the store I got it from and tell them to call in and have the upgraded reversed and that it was an instantaneous process. After trips to two different Best Buys, I returned to the Best Buy I bought it from and demanded a manager. The manager mimicked what AT&T had said and had one of his reps get on the phone with AT&T and I waited about an hour or so but the upgrade was reversed instantly and I got a gift card.

So, you're going to have to go to Apple and have them phone AT&T and tell them they want to reverse an upgrade because you returned the phone. That's going to be the only way. AT&T corporate reps can do it, but they will get in trouble if they do it themselves so they don't.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
USA
I just went through this with Best Buy. I returned a phone October 2nd and the guy told me it would take 3 days for reversal. Cool, I didn't plan on getting a phone. I had some unfortunate things happen about two weeks ago and needed that upgrade. WEnt into the store to get the 4S and was informed I didn't have an upgrade.

Went to Best Buy, had them print the receipts and such again and told them I needed them to reverse the upgrade. They called AT&T and then gave me the 3 days BS again. Went to AT&T the next day and they told me that I had to go back to the store I got it from and tell them to call in and have the upgraded reversed and that it was an instantaneous process. After trips to two different Best Buys, I returned to the Best Buy I bought it from and demanded a manager. The manager mimicked what AT&T had said and had one of his reps get on the phone with AT&T and I waited about an hour or so but the upgrade was reversed instantly and I got a gift card.

So, you're going to have to go to Apple and have them phone AT&T and tell them they want to reverse an upgrade because you returned the phone. That's going to be the only way. AT&T corporate reps can do it, but they will get in trouble if they do it themselves so they don't.
Pretty much this is what happened for me. I am no longer eligible for an upgrade though and my ETF is still a smart phone price even though I returned my 4S. Such is life.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You should have received a receipt with the serial number and everything on it. I would raise hell, especially because you are SOL getting a new phone if they don't fix this...

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
USA
You should have received a receipt with the serial number and everything on it. I would raise hell, especially because you are SOL getting a new phone if they don't fix this...

I am quite depressed about it. I've bought a few upgrades and returned them already because I did not like the phone for one reason or another, and now the AT&T store refuses to work with me. Each of these returns cost me $35 as well. I returned my 4S because it was crackling when I made calls so I was going to let my contract roll back and use an unlocked phone until the next iPhone iteration came out. Unfortunately that is not the case.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I am quite depressed about it. I've bought a few upgrades and returned them already because I did not like the phone for one reason or another, and now the AT&T store refuses to work with me. Each of these returns cost me $35 as well. I returned my 4S because it was crackling when I made calls so I was going to let my contract roll back and use an unlocked phone until the next iPhone iteration came out. Unfortunately that is not the case.

I still wouldn't give up. If everything is as you say it is, AT&T is in the wrong 100%. Hopefully you can show proof of your return. They should not be able to refute this.

As a side note, I too heard crackling when I fist got the phone. Haven't heard it for a few weeks now. I have about 32 hours of talk time on the phone thus far.

staccato83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Las Vegas

Honestly, you need to keep trying. I, too, returned a 4S to the Apple store recently and was assured by the retail associate that my upgrade would be reversed. Well, that wasn't the case.

I called AT&T and they blamed it on Apple. I called Apple and they blamed it on AT&T. Finally, after multiple phone calls and two weeks of time passing I returned to the Apple store where I purchased the phone. I asked for a manager and politely explained my situation. She called AT&T and stated that I returned the phone and gave them the IMEI number and Serial number. Then she said "all done." Like a boss.

Twenty minutes later I received a text from AT&T stating "upgrade reversal in progress." The following morning I dialed *639# and BAM! Upgrade reversed.

So, definitely return to the Apple store where you purchased the phone and bring your purchase receipt and return receipt. Be nice, remain calm and your upgrade will be reversed.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
USA
I spoke with at&t for almost a half hour, and the representative at the end said I need to force Apple to call AT&T to report I had indeed returned the phone. FML.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
USA
I managed to get the Apple manager on the line with AT&T and it was evident they were on different pages. The manager has escalated the case within Apple and I will known more later. So many hoops.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I managed to get the Apple manager on the line with AT&T and it was evident they were on different pages. The manager has escalated the case within Apple and I will known more later. So many hoops.

Glad you are making progress.

Off topic: I'll add that (as you found out) returns take more time than purchases. I'm sure there's a reason why but it chaps me that you can buy something and they check your credit and charge you instantly, but to get your money back it takes days or weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.