Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shevans

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
Herts, UK
Since upgrading to Snow Leopard I an issue with finder, when I open up any drive and then click say a folder/directory starting with the letter A, then click on a sub-folder, finder jumps to the very bottom of the top level folder/directory list. This forces me each time to then scroll back to the top where I was working.

It easier to see than describe the fault/feature, so hope this makes sense.

k2creative

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2010
Finder jumping to the last file in a window

I've had the same trouble. When I drag something from my desktop to a folder on my server it jumps to the last file in that window. Then I have to scroll back up.It's very annoying. Specifically in List View which I use most regularly.

Another issue I've noticed is has to do with filenames. It seems that certain character like # keep me from double clicking a file to open it. I have to go to "File" then "Open" and navigate to the file. I've got every envelope I've ever done here at work saved as env #10 or env #9, etc. And when saving to a PDF out of Quark or InDesign filenames act crazy as well!

Please do your best to sort these thing out

Thanks

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
This is a well documented issue. There are surely other threads here on the subject, with a variety of responses. I'd suggest using the Search feature.

ScouseMac

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
finder auto scrolling jumping

Was there a solution for this. I have tried to search using words like "finder jumps" "finder auto scrolling" etc and had no luck.

If I have a list view in Finder that has more files that are in the view (the scroll bar is showing on the right), and I scroll down through the folder, finder jumps back up to the top of the list. If I select a file in the folder then scroll down past the view point, everything works for about 5 seconds then bam! finder takes control and scrolls back up so that the selected file is in the view. Drives me crazy. Especially f you have very large folders that you are scrolling.

Any help appreciated.

MacBook Pro 17" Os X 10.6.4

HD Boy

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
This same thing has been happening to me for months under Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro, but not on my MacBook Pro. Has anyone found the cause of this this maddening issue?

netvana

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2010
Bronx, NY
Same issue. I am trying to reorganize my music library. I used to have a Zune, so I leased a lot of that music but some of it, I bought. The subscription files are all .wma so the easy thing to do was to search my entire mac for .wma and delete. That however does not delete the artist folder when emptied of course. Some of the music I got on Zune was purchased however, and they are all .mp3 files. I suppose I could do a spotlight search to only search Zune folder for .mp3 file and move to itunes folder. The problem I am having is I want to expand all the files, but I used Command A - left/rt arrow button but that does not open all sub folders - and I'm back to the same problem, I click on the folder, collapse and it scrolls to the bottom!! Maddening!

kenmoberg

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
I have the same issue....

Anyone found a solution? Tried trashing my finder prefs and relaunching but that didn't work. I've found that it only happens when I twirl some folders, not all and it will usually jump to the same location. I haven't found a consistent pattern yet.

kenmoberg

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
Mine is fixed

I got to thinking...what would I do if this was windows explorer? Obviously reboot, well, with windows it's usually reboot 6 times, but anyway. I haven't rebooted my macbook pro for a few weeks. So either just rebooting, or trashing the finder prefs and then rebooting solved it. My guess is the latter because I'm pretty sure this was occuring before my last reboot.

Anyway, this worked for me.

exempt

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
I have this same issue under Snow Leopard 10.6.7, it's the most annoying thing when I'm whipping through directories and moving items. Rebooting didn't help, as well as repairing permissions didn't help. I still have this problem!! Googling every type of relevant search came up fruitless.

druphone

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
Same very frustrating issue

When I scroll the highlighted file out of the Finder window, 1 second later, Finder scrolls it back into view. It happens every time. Trying to view files in a large folder is maddening!
This is on a MBP with Snow Leopard.

harmoog

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
Lexington, VA
Solution (perhaps)

I found a solution to the problem of the finder window not returning to the spot where you had scrolled to, or jumping to the very bottom...

If you use the keyboard shortcut CMD+Up Arrow instead of hitting the back button it will return to the spot where you were previously viewing the folder, at least it does for me...

Reactions: Thor Starkey

Sergie

Dec 13, 2011
Finder - jumps to bottom of directory list

A possible workaround that's worked in my case:

In finder preferences I had switched the "New finder windows open:"
from Macintosh HD to "bla bla Mac Mini" (My system name or top level search tree). This then induced the problem of the highlighter jumping to the last folder on an extended listing. Switching back my preferences setting above gives a slightly different view but resolves the jumping issue.

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD

hitechabyss

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
Hold Option and click in the scrollbar and/or move slider with option

I think I finally solved this unbelievably annoying bug, if you have a finder window with search criteria and scroll down the list (by clicking the slider or mouse swiping, the window would refresh and take you back to the top of the list.

for such a simple common operation I can't believe it's never been fixed by Apple!

2 things I changed, "Finder Preferences -> Use the previous Search scope" and more important:

Hold the Option button and click at any point in the scrollbar or option+grab the slider and move it.

Until you do something else in finder, it'll stay like this and now I'm finally able to scroll to the end of a 9000 file listing and not be annoyed by that bug.

Reactions: xgman

kingxflavah

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
i noticed the same but when i highlight the folder i intend on expanding prior to expanding, finder seems to be able to maintain its position just fine... regardless i hope any of these solutions help someone.

cheers

bdavidbsr

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2010
Can't believe this glitch is still around! Maybe Apple just keeps hitting "Remind Me Later" on this thread! Anyhow, it only happens to me when I'm in cover flow. Try switching Finder to List View and see if it gets resolved.

Thor Starkey

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2023
Solution (perhaps)

I found a solution to the problem of the finder window not returning to the spot where you had scrolled to, or jumping to the very bottom...

If you use the keyboard shortcut CMD+Up Arrow instead of hitting the back button it will return to the spot where you were previously viewing the folder, at least it does for me...
This worked for me great. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.