Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios51beta2.jpg

Apple has released iOS 5.1 Beta 2 to developers, with a build number of 9B5127c. The biggest change is the addition of a much-requested feature related to the management of photos in the Photo Stream:
NEW: Photos taken using iOS 5.1 can be deleted from Photo Stream on your device and will be removed automatically from Photo Stream on your other iOS 5.1 devices. Older photos can be manually deleted from your iOS 5.1 devices.
New versions of Xcode 4.3 and Apple TV software were also released. iOS 5.1 Beta 1 was seeded two weeks ago on November 28.

Article Link: Apple Seeds iOS 5.1 Beta 2 to Developers, Enables Photo Stream Photo Deletion

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
I'm sure this has been a much demanded feature..i'm surprised it wasn't included in the first version!!

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
I haven't used a Beta since iOS 5 was released, but I'll be downloading this for the ability to delete photos from photostream

I can't wait to give this a whirl, a long awaited feature

JonyHolt

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2011
Fresno, CA
Its about time. I did not use PhotoStream because of this specifically. It was terrible to have to purge the entire photo database just to get rid of one or two photos.

manicwinter

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
I wish I could replace the "Tweet" button with a "Photo Stream" button in the sharing options for for a photo. Seems crazy I can choose what photos to Tweet but not what photos to Photo Stream. Until I can choose what photos to send, Photo Stream remains useless to me and stays off.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I'd like the photo deletion thing. I'm an IT guy at work & sometimes I need to take pictures of an error code or something with my phone & put the photo into a help desk ticket. I don't want nor need these pictures on my home computer.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Great.

About time. Better than going through iCloud.com and deleting all photos.

Now, how about better 'Notes' syncing between devices. Particularly old, pre-iOS 5 notes? Just a small thing...

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
nothing like worrying if those sex pictures you took with your gf will end up on the family's appletv photostream

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I really hope they improve iMessage as well (although nothing in the release notes). Not having the ability to remove yourself from group chats is a pain the a$$!!

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
This is good news. It was very odd that this capability wasn't there from the beginning. Now if they will make the Reminders app more intelligent, I'll be very pleased. Though 5.1 should be a substantial update - surely there's something noteworthy planned, right?

nrose101

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2011
Hopefully this release will be out this year before Apple shuts down in a couple of weeks.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Great! I take pictures just to remember things that I don't want clogging up my Photo Stream. Hopefully will bring some battery fixes as well. I'm still having a little bit of an issue on my 4S.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Any fixes to the music app (especially on iPad)???

And I guess that would include fixes to how iTunes Match runs on iOS devices, plenty of bugs there as well.

applephanatic

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2011
Everywhere you aren't
Update OTA

Quick Question, will developers be able to update OTA or will I have to download the IPSW from the Portal directly?

Up at college the internet is painfully slow and 800 MB takes 7+ hours!!!:eek:

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
Please please please be a battery fix!

My battery fix for my iphone 4s came as a new phone replacement. On my 3rd phone now and finally I can go a day without the battery running out.

I believe there is a slew of bad phones, not just software.

nicholc2

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
Quick Question, will developers be able to update OTA or will I have to download the IPSW from the Portal directly?

Up at college the internet is painfully slow and 800 MB takes 7+ hours!!!:eek:

I tried OTA from B1 to B2 and got an error message when it tried to check for an update, so it didn't work for me. That's not to say that it's not just me. Either way, I'm doing it the old fashioned way at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.