Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One popular hobby of those interested in discovering hints of Apple's future iOS devices has been the examination of various configuration files in each beta and public version of iOS for new entries referring to future iOS devices.

While the references provide essentially no information on the new devices themselves, as they simply appear in the form of "iPhone4,1" for what ultimately became the iPhone 4S as one example, they are carefully watched as hints of what devices Apple is likely to be testing with the software and perhaps how many variations of an upcoming device there might be.

fake_ios_device_references.jpg

With today's release of iOS 5.1 beta 2, Apple has now taken steps to obscure that information, planting numerous fake references within configuration files typically examined for such evidence.

One file in particular, USBDeviceConfiguration.plist, had formerly listed about two dozen different device variants. As discovered by 9to5Mac's Mark Gurman, that list has now ballooned to well over 100 such entries as Apple has seeded it with dozens of new fake references to such future products as "iPad10,1", "iPhone11,3", "iPod11,1", and "AppleTV8,3".

The change is likely to make it more difficult to detect new additions, as the new entries will serve as placeholders until Apple quietly begins using the software on its latest devices under development.

Update: As noted by @chronic, the change does not shut out examination of the evidence entirely, as unaltered listings are still visible in other locations. Apple also apparently began adding the fake references in the first iOS 5.1 beta, but only with beta 2 did they make it into the closely-watched USBDeviceConfiguration.plist file.

Article Link: Apple Obscures Future Device Hints in iOS 5.1 Beta 2 with Fake References

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Holy crap..... Apple is going to have a very big next year. How am I going to afford all those new gadgets? :)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Everyone knows there will be a new iPhone and new iPad every year. No big deal. Nobody cares.

I take this change as evidence that some new un-known product (TV?) is coming. Something like that would be very obvious under the old system.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Everyone knows there will be a new iPhone and new iPad every year. No big deal. Nobody cares.

I take this change as evidence that some new un-known product (TV?) is coming. Something like that would be very obvious under the old system.

But sometimes they can get information that was not previously known. We all know there will be a new iPhone next year but when you see iPhone4,1 iPhone 4,2 iPhone 4,3 and iPhone4,4 that would mean there are 4 different iPhone variants. Thats how we knew there would be a CDMA iPhone and a special CDMA iPad 2 before it was announced.

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Looks like Apple is going Android manufacturers' style by crapping out devices a week after another.

You really think apple didn't ever work on next generation devices before current generations were released? Contrary to popular belief, development doesn't begin a month before the announcement.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
But sometimes they can get information that was not previously known. We all know there will be a new iPhone next year but when you see iPhone4,1 iPhone 4,2 iPhone 4,3 and iPhone4,4 that would mean there are 4 different iPhone variants. Thats how we knew there would be a CDMA iPhone and a special CDMA iPad 2 before it was announced.

Ok, SOMEBODY cares, I guess.

My point is that a CDMA iPhone is nowhere near as interesting as an entirely new product.

I suspect that that's why they changed this. Otherwise, why change it now after years of people reporting on these? The timing isn't random, I don't think.

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Great. Now there won't be an app store until Apple TV 10,3?

At least it will be able to handle 4K video.

dexthageek

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Thank you Apple. Continue to fill your configuration files useless data, eating up precious space on my devices.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Not too long a visionary on this forum suggested that they will probably do this to mess with us in the future. I wish I could remember who posted that. :D :D

Rocketman

macrumors 603
So this is a brain dead Easter egg?

The telling evidence will continue to be web usage logs. Yes they may use spoofed names there too, but they will use SOMETHING.

Hey Apple, stop doing things deceptive and start doing things cute or humorous. Please? Thanks.

FTR the current methods were great for stock prices and sales. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

Rocketman

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Man, that's awful tricky of them! How in Hell are we going to find out if there's an iPhone coming out next year now?!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.