Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
Hey guys, I'm new here. I know this question has been asked a few times, but I can never find the exact answer I'm looking for. I plan to buy a used or new iphone 4s and use h20 wireless on it. Will the h20 sim card activate my phone or do I need to use an at&t sim card? I know that h20 runs on the same towers as at&t so would it work? Thanks in advanced.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Hey guys, I'm new here. I know this question has been asked a few times, but I can never find the exact answer I'm looking for. I plan to buy a used or new iphone 4s and use h20 wireless on it. Will the h20 sim card activate my phone or do I need to use an at&t sim card? I know that h20 runs on the same towers as at&t so would it work? Thanks in advanced.

If you buy factory unlocked 4S, then your H2O sim works on it. But, if you buy a 4S that locks to AT&T, it will not work.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
as far as I know H20 uses the AT&T network and my understanding is they didn't have to be unlocked to be on it. I know many reported that with the I4 any way.. however if you bought the 4s from ATT you would still have to pay ETF any way and the cost would be about the same as buying a factory unlocked any way. Which would also have a higher resale value latter.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
as far as I know H20 uses the AT&T network and my understanding is they didn't have to be unlocked to be on it. I know many reported that with the I4 any way.. however if you bought the 4s from ATT you would still have to pay ETF any way and the cost would be about the same as buying a factory unlocked any way. Which would also have a higher resale value latter.

This is my understanding also.
A quick Google search should confirm this if OP really cares.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
Yes, H2O uses The AT&T network
That is why I directed you to that chart
No jailbreak or unlock required
Call H2O and they can re-assure you

Thank you so much. I actually tried to call them today but was on hold for 30 minutes so I finally gave up. Do I need to buy an iphone that has already been activated or will an h20 sim activate it just fine?

----------

I retract my earlier message. I saw member in this forum confirmed it works on H2O sim. There is a thread in here talking about this as well. I have link it here for your reference.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1063840/

Thanks so much. I saw this post before too..Just need to know if an h20 card will activate my phone.

kguerrero

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2011
MASS, WHATS UP BABY!?!
The H2O simcard will activate your iPhone 4/4S, I deal with this on a daily basis.

-H2O Wireless authorized dealer.

edit: Just have in mind picture messaging (MMS) will not work with the iPhone 4s as you need a jailbreak in order for you to configure the settings correctly.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
The H2O simcard will activate your iPhone 4/4S, I deal with this on a daily basis.

-H2O Wireless authorized dealer.

edit: Just have in mind picture messaging (MMS) will not work with the iPhone 4s as you need a jailbreak in order for you to configure the settings correctly.

Yep, you need a hack to make the APN settings section visible so you can enter the correct settings

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
Yep, you need a hack to make the APN settings section visible so you can enter the correct settings

My biggest concern right now is just mainly texting/calling and basically just using the phone. haha. I'm sure I'll jailbreak it for those settings later on. Thank you guys!:D

TheBigKing

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
PR
I cancel my att contract i will pay the ETF and get h2o i just buy the sim cards on ebay waiting to arrives to set up

kguerrero

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2011
MASS, WHATS UP BABY!?!
I think the hack that many use to expose the APN settings to enter MMS settings is "tetherme" but I cannot guarantee it 100%
You Sir are correct, at least that's what I use when I need to fix MMS.
If the iPhone 4s is not able to be jailbroken, how would I get mms?:confused:
I'm afraid you will not be able to MMS until the 4S is jailbroken. I haven't heard of any other method to get MMS working. In fact, on the H2O Dealer Portal there's a note that if a customer wants MMS their iPhone must be jailbroken.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
I just bought a brand new iphone 4s 64gb. Once I pop my trimmed down sim into the phone it will work right?

Eddy120876

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Bronx,NY
Hey Miss.Manson

so how you like H2O so far ?

Kguerrero Im also thinking of using my old 3G iphone on H2O. Also you are fron Lynn MA? love that town safer then the BX :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.