Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdzer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Washington
I'm having a problem, maybe I just don't know how to use my phone well..

I try to create a new iMessage to someone or make it as a group, I enter my Text Message app and click the new message button at the top right, my iMessage contacts don't appear on there when I search for them and it is making a new text message. Does anyone know how to change this or make a new iMessage to a person/group?

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I'm having a problem, maybe I just don't know how to use my phone well..

I try to create a new iMessage to someone or make it as a group, I enter my Text Message app and click the new message button at the top right, my iMessage contacts don't appear on there when I search for them and it is making a new text message. Does anyone know how to change this or make a new iMessage to a person/group?

/facepalm.

Your contacts use their apple ID and or phone numbers as their iMessage address. There aren't "iMessage contacts", your phone automatically determines this while attempting to send a text.

This is all explained in the user manuals.

bdzer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Washington
/facepalm.

Your contacts use their apple ID and or phone numbers as their iMessage address. There aren't "iMessage contacts", your phone automatically determines this while attempting to send a text.

This is all explained in the user manuals.

I already have iMessage chats open with some of my friends but when I try to open a new one it's a Text Message. Am I misinterpreting something? Did I put their e-mail in a bad category or something?

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
I already have iMessage chats open with some of my friends but when I try to open a new one it's a Text Message. Am I misinterpreting something? Did I put their e-mail in a bad category or something?

That would mean (I'm just assuming here) that they are unavailable for iMessage.

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
I just load all my iMessage contacts as the iPhone listing, and it seems to always go to iMessage that way unless I turn it off.

bdzer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Washington
That would mean (I'm just assuming here) that they are unavailable for iMessage.

They are available :(

I wanted to make a group iMessage, which I did, but I had to delete the whole conversation with one of my friends then go into my contacts and click their contact to finally press Send Message and it opened up a 'New iMessage' instead of 'New Message' (Text). The only way I can iMessage someone is to go into contacts and I can't make a new iMessage directly from the Text app.

bdzer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Washington
I haven't found the solution, my iMessage works fine, I just can't make a new iMessage as it is always a text message.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
i do know that certain people you iMessage with and your phone still has that info in memory, it will have a nice symbol to show you if they have iMessage enabled when starting a new text.

28un4zs.jpg

bdzer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Washington
Are you sure that all people that you're trying to send to have iOS5 and have iMessage turned on?

Yeah, they do.

If it helps, I iMessage them using their Apple ID E-Mails and not their phone numbers because they are in Australia and Canada.

----------

i do know that certain people you iMessage with and your phone still has that info in memory, it will have a nice symbol to show you if they have iMessage enabled when starting a new text.

Your screenshot shows the @ sign, and the ability to type in .'s but when I go to make a new message mine does not. My iMessage works though as I have a few conversations open with other people.

bdzer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Washington
Does anyone have the same problem as me? I can't type .'s or @'s when trying to create a new message.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Yeah, they do.

If it helps, I iMessage them using their Apple ID E-Mails and not their phone numbers because they are in Australia and Canada.

----------

Your screenshot shows the @ sign, and the ability to type in .'s but when I go to make a new message mine does not. My iMessage works though as I have a few conversations open with other people.

On iMessage, where they are located doesn't matter. It's still only data use, if it sends via iMessage.

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO

Mine shows the @ and . when i'm typing in the "To:" part of the message. Once i switch to the body of the message and what is actually going to be sent, then it switches to just a space bar and those two buttons go back to where it normally was after you press the "123+" button

EDIT: also in my original message i was talking about the little blue bubble next to the first contact

bdzer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Washington
Mine shows the @ and . when i'm typing in the "To:" part of the message. Once i switch to the body of the message and what is actually going to be sent, then it switches to just a space bar and those two buttons go back to where it normally was after you press the "123+" button

EDIT: also in my original message i was talking about the little blue bubble next to the first contact

I have the blue bubbles only when I go into Phone -> Contacts -> Send Message, that's the only time I can make a new iMessage, I cannot make one directly in the Texting app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.