Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I can get the website http://www.iCloud.com with a login panel just fine using my PC and laptop. Once logged in, I can access all my iCloud data without any problem.

But when I try to access it from my iPad2 or iPhone4, all I get is the "How to install iCloud" page with NO way to log into my account. BTW, iCloud is already installed and activated with iCloud sycing for almost everything.

What am I missing? I've searched all through the forums and Googled it, but can't come up with an answer. :(

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Why would you need to access iCloud.com if you have your iPad2 all synced up with iCloud?

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
In this instance, I needed to delete all the contacts in iCloud and "merge" with those on my iPad/iPhone so I didn't end up with duplicates or stray data. The two lists weren't totally the same.

I'd been syncing Gmail contacts using iTunes, not iCloud. However, I DID sync with iCloud when it first came out. Ended up with a double-dog mess in my contacts having two syncs going. Un-enabled iCloud sync, cleaned up the contacts in Gmail. Thus the need to delete the iCloud data before syncing there. (I no longer sync contacts with Gmail on iTunes or otherwise.)

It was the first time I'd tried to access the iCloud files and it was only a last-gasp attempt that I used my PC.

I understand iCloud unifies data access among PC & iDevices. But in this case, I needed specific access to data in iCloud. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's set up this way on purpose - access to the actual website files via computer and not iDevices? Seems somewhat odd.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
In this instance, I needed to delete all the contacts in iCloud and "merge" with those on my iPad/iPhone so I didn't end up with duplicates or stray data. The two lists weren't totally the same.

I'd been syncing Gmail contacts using iTunes, not iCloud. However, I DID sync with iCloud when it first came out. Ended up with a double-dog mess in my contacts having two syncs going. Un-enabled iCloud sync, cleaned up the contacts in Gmail. Thus the need to delete the iCloud data before syncing there. (I no longer sync contacts with Gmail on iTunes or otherwise.)

It was the first time I'd tried to access the iCloud files and it was only a last-gasp attempt that I used my PC.

I understand iCloud unifies data access among PC & iDevices. But in this case, I needed specific access to data in iCloud. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it's set up this way on purpose - access to the actual website files via computer and not iDevices? Seems somewhat odd.

It is, because your idevice already has iCloud access!

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
So, you are saying if I wanted to clear out the iCloud contacts via iPad/iPhone, I would have to "merge" what was in iCloud already with what I wanted to be there, then go into the contacts via iPh and clean it up?

That would work, but not as easily as it did by accessing the iCloud contacts file using my PC and deleting the ones that were stored there. Then syncing with iCloud.

Still trying to grasp the fine points of iCloud. Thanks for your input so far.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Another option if you are computer free is to create a new iCloud account. Merge your contacts to it. Put the updated (correct contacts list) on one devices and then turn off iCloud on it (this is now the master). Use the other device and log back into the original iCloud account and delete all your contacts. Now that device and the original iCloud account will be empty.

Now with the master iDevice, log out of the recently made iCloud account and log back into the original account. It should upload the master contact list and then flow back down to the other device.

Finally, delete the new iCloud account (optional)

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Thanks CosmoPilot. During the past couple days, I've gotten a better understanding of how things work with iCloud - and how to make use of it effectively. Thank you! :)

Caseki

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2011
Why can't I access iCloud.com from iDevice??

Why would you need to access iCloud.com if you have your iPad2 all synced up with iCloud?

What if I would like to share one of my iCloud calendars? You can't do it by using an iDevice or can you? :confused:

KeatonSmith

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
A reason to access iCloud.com from an idevice

I also would love to know how to access iCloud from a device.

b-rad g Why would you need to access iCloud.com if you have your iPad2 all synced up with iCloud?

I have a slew of junk mail coming into my device. You can only access certain iCloud preferences and settings from the actual web page login, and not from your device.

The original question has still not been answered. How can
You stop the idevice from defaulting to the iCloud "device homepage" that asks to install iCloud?

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
Use a different browser. Atomic

Just FYI, a different browser does not help either. I tried Atomic, Opera... they both go to the setup screen.

Man, sometimes I really loath Apple for this type of arbitrary controls. :mad:

And if they think that such limitations will help them sell more devices, or get more customers... think again: users are wising up and realizing that they must avoid getting involved with any company or service that operates with such closed policies. What was an advantage in the Apple ecosystem, now turns out to be their biggest enemy. Didn't they learn anything from Microsoft? IBM?

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
Identify the browser as something other than mobile safari

Thanks!

Still, this restriction by Apple is really messed up... what practical business purpose does it serve to reject customers based on their devices? Do they really think this will make customers buy new hardware by accelerating obsolescence just for greeds sake?

If Apple keeps implementing such narrow philosophy in their products, they will loose the ground they gained in all this years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.