Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yamatchy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Jw everyones opinion on whether to get an Iphone or an Android type phone? Apps better on one versus the other? Any help/ tips would be greatly appreciated. TIA

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Actually, he can compare the negative responses on this forum to the negative responses on an Android forum and end up with a reasonable set of responses to base a decision.

So they can cancel each other out and he can go for a Windows phone!

digitard

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2004
Gilbert, AZ
It's all preference, and personal choice.

I, personally, spent a little over a year with an Android phone (and before that years with WinMo and RIM phones) and the when I went to an iPhone it was like night and day for my personal preferences.

I definitely prefer the polish of iOS and it's apps over the customization and ability to find that perfect combination setup of custom ROM's.

I don't care about 4G right now as the tech is too power hungry, but that will change as it's refined and comes more into line w/ current stuff in terms of consumption.

So, really... it's about what's important to you. Find those things that you dig, and make your own educated choice, because all that matters is that YOU'RE happy with your phone, not what we think.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I personally would either go for the iPhone or Windows Phone 7.5. I don't enjoy Android and the feeling that my phone is just one of many to be outdated in a week. I enjoy the smoothness of iOS and the efficiency of the entire platform. Windows Phone is also nice, but I feel that the menu layout and the way people have to use the OS (I can't figure out how to get the multitasking up) is slightly off-putting for me. Metro UI does look nice.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I Googled TIA and it came up with Transient ischemic attack

It could also be Truth in Advertising or This is Akward, but I am pretty sure he intended it as Thanks in Advance :)

I am not sure how useful asking the same question on two different forums is. Tried doing that once when looking at a motorcycle to buy. Both sides were equally as fanatic about their product and spiteful of the other. Bottom line is you just need to do your own research and testing and decide for yourself, because you will find a pretty equal split on both sides of the fence. I could tell you I don't care for Android, the interface, the herkyjerky graphics, or the lack of quality apps, but I am sure people over on the other side of the fence will give you reasons why they don't like the iPhone as well.

I agree with w00t951 however, if I myself were going to jump ship, it may well be Windows Phone 7.5. Not that I have any plans to jump ship, I am happy with my iPhone and how it works seamlessly with my other Apple products. I don't feel like having to try to make things work together anymore, I just want them to do it, and I am happy with how they are currently doing that.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
Jw everyones opinion on whether to get an Iphone or an Android type phone? Apps better on one versus the other? Any help/ tips would be greatly appreciated. TIA

You came here asking which phone you should get..... what do you think you'll be told? How about you do your own research because no one here knows you and don't know what you want in a phone. This kind of thread is troll fodder and serves no purpose.

Neolithium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever the army needs me.
I had an android phone for ~6 months (Samsung Nexus S) it was decent of course, and I don't have much bad to say about it, but in the end I jumped on an iPhone 4S as soon as they were available here. The apps, it's 6, and 1/2 dozen the other, there's some great android ones and great iPhone ones; it'll boil down to you trying both somehow and deciding on which one you prefer for your needs.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
What platform have you used in the past? Or have you used none?

iOS: good selection of apps. Many exclusives and quality apps.

Android: good selection of apps. Many apps and games are featured on both iOS and android. Also has its own exclusives.

However sometimes developers tend to launch an app later for android after it spends some time on iOS, and even then it is officially available for a few phones. Something i didn't like but it really depends because if you are not too much dependent on getting every single app it is not a very big issue. If you are a mobile gamer iOS is slightly better.

As for the rest, both OS are made to work differently. Android allows drag and drop, usb mount, customization, almost PC like functionality but also has issues such as battery drain. I would like to point out that while idling i find android and iOS to consume almost equal battery power but the iPhone 4 tends to get amazing usage time compared to any android. From the looks of it the 4S has similar usage to the efficient android phones which is why i decided to keep my 4 until 5/6 comes out next year.

Also the fact after using android i like a jailbroken iPhone and iPhone 4S is yet to be jailbroken. That is because i can use iTunes for sync and if i don't want to, i can use drag and drop easily. I am not into customization so i don't bother about that but lockinfo is cool.

However if you like easy syncing of contacts, media and apps iTunes is not bad. I myself like it but i want it as another choice, not the only route possible hence the JB.

You really will have to play with both types to see what you like as i finally figured out.

yamatchy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks very much for all the advanced suggestions,I've experienced today in Applestyle store for the iPhone 4s 16GB, impressive for the game playing running and the data sync, compare with the Android tried, IOS 5 is much fluently in operation,iphone will be my first choice soon... lol !!

mmmtastybusch

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
Actually, he can compare the negative responses on this forum to the negative responses on an Android forum and end up with a reasonable set of responses to base a decision.

you know what's funny.. I've been on an android forum for a couple years and a lot of people on there are always bashing the iPhone heavily, talking about "fanboys" and they always claim iPhone users are way worse... but after joining here, I've found that it's pretty much the opposite of that. Most of you guys seem very unbiased when discussing phones, etc.... it's refreshing :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Well pointless cause he got banned but if I were to sum up my experience briefly in a positive way.

iPhone : simple to work, apps usually for apple first.

Android : more powerful, apps cheaper, good for techie individuals.

There is a lot about the devices which I prefer android. Bigger screens, better hardware, things like NFC which would be neat.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
IMO iOS has all-round better apps, because in addition to there being more of them, they are built to run on one phone and one phone only. Unlike Android, where there are dozens of current phones that run the OS. This means that apps will likely run better, smoother and with less bugs/lag/problems on iOS, and you can take advantage of every app to its fullest. Having said that, Android has on a whole more free apps (I think its something like 80% of Android's are free, while only 40% of iOS's are free, I'm not too sure though) so if money is a big factor then Android might be better in the way of apps?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
IMO iOS has all-round better apps, because in addition to there being more of them, they are built to run on one phone and one phone only. Unlike Android, where there are dozens of current phones that run the OS. This means that apps will likely run better, smoother and with less bugs/lag/problems on iOS, and you can take advantage of every app to its fullest. Having said that, Android has on a whole more free apps (I think its something like 80% of Android's are free, while only 40% of iOS's are free, I'm not too sure though) so if money is a big factor then Android might be better in the way of apps?

+1

Wow, you are one in a million. You actually formulated a reason as to why iOS is better, in your opinion, as well as backed it up with facts. I think that may just be a first on these forums, for me. Here, have an :apple:! :p

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
Android all the way! Lol jk, you decide. Try them all out at a store and see which you like best.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Remember that if you want to see what apps are on iOS, how much they cost, their reviews etc without actually buying an iPhone you can always jump on iTunes and go to their apps section ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Oh I forgot to mention get what your friends have. I came from android but nearly all my friends have iPhones. I'm loving the group messaging and iMessage. It's like a chat room for the most part. By far my favorite thing about the iPhone!

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Jw everyones opinion on whether to get an Iphone or an Android type phone? Apps better on one versus the other?
All subjective matters. There are no one-size-fits-all answers to what you're asking. If one device was best for everyone then everyone would use it. If you want suggestions then you need to detail out your specific needs/wants. Otherwise, read every other "What should I buy?" thread here and on other discussion forums to try to get an idea of the things that you should be considering. We can't even begin to offer meaningful suggestions if you provide no information for us to work with (a common issue with posts like this).

you know what's funny.. I've been on an android forum for a couple years and a lot of people on there are always bashing the iPhone heavily, talking about "fanboys" and they always claim iPhone users are way worse... but after joining here, I've found that it's pretty much the opposite of that. Most of you guys seem very unbiased when discussing phones, etc.... it's refreshing :)
You just haven't done enough reading. There are fanboys on all sides and they're all equally bad.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
You can do more with android, as can apps, but the best developers seem to write apps for iOS.

android is heavily customisable whereas you get very little freedom on iOS and the majority of things are chosen for you. This means android can seem a bit more chaotic, cluttered and disorganised whereas iOS is more consistent and the hardware and software integrate well together.

I personally prefer Android but I'm pretty good at IT :) if you don't know much about computers, get an iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.